Introducing a dog to boating

Amduck

Featured Posts

We're about ready to get another dog (probably a rescue greyhound). We never took our last dog to the boat (he predated our purchase), because he was (I) not keen on noise (II) not keen on water and (III) completely neurotic (so hated anything that disturbed his routine).

So, does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a dog to the boat? Should we get him/her used to it while quiet and stationary, or let him/her know from the outset that it has an engine?

We don't liveaboard, so it won't be make or break if he/she hates it, but it would be nice to be able to take him/her on jaunts instead of leave at home or in kennels.

Edited by Amduck

Hi Amduck,

we've had our retired greyhound for a year now and to be honest we were a bit worried about how she'd get on with boating as we couldnt really have left her when we go cruising. But after 5 nervous minutes working out the steep stairs into the cabin she realised there was a sofa onboard and has been fine ever since! It probably also helps that she's actually allowed on the bed on the boat!

We gave Stevie plenty of time and encouragement and it very quickly became no big deal for her. We waited until she was happy mooching about inside before we started the engine (cruiser stern) but we needn't have worried and she in fact fell asleep on the back deck on her first cruise.

Haven't had her in the water yet but she does wear one of the Rufwear harnesses just in case. Watch out for the odd lunge for ducks/swans/moorhens/canoeists etc. :lol:

HTH

Roy.

We have four rescue dogs (one neurotic, one thick as four planks and two relatively normal) and frankly it never occurred to us to 'introduce' any of them to the boat. It is just part of our life and they share it with us.

Just take the dog on the boat and let it get on with it. Not a problem unless you make it one!

We have four rescue dogs (one neurotic, one thick as four planks and two relatively normal) and frankly it never occurred to us to 'introduce' any of them to the boat. It is just part of our life and they share it with us.

Just take the dog on the boat and let it get on with it. Not a problem unless you make it one!

I guess it dpends on the dog but I think this approach will work in many cases ie treat it as normal and they will too. They are followers of the pack leader and if you as leader don't appear worried or fussed about being on the boat they won't either. They do pick up on our mood if we show signs of being anxious or worried.

Some rehomed greyhounds that have only been used to a kennel life and racing training may take a little more coaching but they are very adaptable creatures and will follow a confident leader. Just don't let them see any rabbits whilst off the lead as you may not see them again!! :lol::lol:

Dog boat, boat dog, (done in the voice of tommy cooper)

Just like that! :lol:

Edited by churchward

Boots is 2 in January, a rescue dog and has a bit of whippet in him. He didn't really have a choice about liking the boat as it was home, and he seemed to like home. He got used to the inside quite quickly, and then when I went cruising I put a lovely soft blanket down on the back hatch, lifted him up and put him on it. He settled down quite quickly and off we went. Gradually in his own time he stood up and walked around and now seems to enjoy strolling up and down the roof like the lord of the manor.

Apparently some dogs dont like it on the roof, but just parade up and down standing on the back deck or the front depending on their mood. Boots does sometimes get put inside, and then he comes out and stands on the back deck peering at me until I put him on the roof.

Getting on the boat wasn't the easiest, so I used to pick him up and dump him on it, which suited him perfectly. After a while he got used to getting on and off by himself too.

You might find that getting a friends dog to walk up and down the roof or go boating will give yours the confidence he needs?

Enjoy - lurchers are fantastic pets!

incidently I have got a lovely woolen waterproof coat for Boots for when we are cruising in the rain and wind... I think it would be right to say that is the element of boating he is the LEAST impressed with. He gives me a look as if to say 'you have GOT to be joking, there is NO WAY my public are going to see me in THIS!'

We took on an 8 y.o. Springer Spaniel 15 months ago.

She took to the boat straight away, but the first time we went out, she was looking for a way off & we had to watch her at bridge holes.

Again at locks she was wanting to be first off & sometimes jumped a bit too soon!

By the second or third time out she was lying by my feet at the tiller & instead of having to put her on the boat at the locks, she knows the routine & can't wait to get on.

The greyhound should be a good choice, but as previously said --- be careful on the towpath for rabbits, cats etc

Tony

We dog sat for one of my daughters recently and as we we out on the boat we were unsure about how it would react. We needn't have worried, the first day it jumped in the water 4 times.

The dog is an 18 month old brown labrador and soon got used to the boat. We did keep it on a lead when using the locks and it was happy enough inside when we went through the tunnels.

Steve

I guess it dpends on the dog but I think this approach will work in many cases ie treat it as normal and they will too. They are followers of the pack leader and if you as leader don't appear worried or fussed about being on the boat they won't either. They do pick up on our mood if we show signs of being anxious or worried.

Just like that! :lol:

Ours thinks it is the pack leader and gets into a complete neurotic panic if one of us disappears from sight to untie a rope or do a lock. So we keep him on the top of the back hatch and he's perfect - just sits watching everything. Trouble is he's only a little 'un and started shivering in the cold weather so Starwoman crocheted him this very fetching coat! http://narrowboatstar.blogspot.com/search?...p;max-results=7

Edited by starman

Boots is 2 in January, a rescue dog and has a bit of whippet in him.

incidently I have got a lovely woolen waterproof coat for Boots for when we are cruising in the rain and wind... I think it would be right to say that is the element of boating he is the LEAST impressed with. He gives me a look as if to say 'you have GOT to be joking, there is NO WAY my public are going to see me in THIS!'

From your photos, Boots is very like our last dog, which was a lurcher. Funnily enough, we could NOT get him to wear a coat. No way, no how. Even when we had no heating for a week and he was shivering! Coats were the only thing he ever destroyed!

Love Stardog's coat though.

Thanks all for the advice. Just got to find the right dog now!

We had exactly the same "crew" when we moved to live aboard, none had ever been near a boat in their lives (as far as we know) but no problems at all.

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We've had Treacle, a black lab - staff cross, rescue dog living aboard with us for 6 months now. The 1st time she came aboard, she found where we kept the Peanut butter & s as she's been as right as ninepence ever since. all the locals know her now, she's become part of the community. Turned into a right old boat pikey, complete with neckerchief.

We're about ready to get another dog (probably a rescue greyhound). We never took our last dog to the boat (he predated our purchase), because he was (I) not keen on noise (II) not keen on water and (III) completely neurotic (so hated anything that disturbed his routine).

So, does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a dog to the boat? Should we get him/her used to it while quiet and stationary, or let him/her know from the outset that it has an engine?

We don't liveaboard, so it won't be make or break if he/she hates it, but it would be nice to be able to take him/her on jaunts instead of leave at home or in kennels.

We've had cats, now dogs. What about hamsters? I'm rather partial to them myself. :lol:

Our dog had no problems being introduced to the boat. The first time we brought her to it she bounded straight down that back steps, had a quick sniff and fell asleep on the bed. As a very car-sick dog she was mildly horrified the first time we fired up the engine, but is far better in the boat than she ever is in the car. She's turned into a great boat dog and loves new smells along the towpath. I'm sure she'd love to be lifted onto the roof to watch the world go by, but might need an engine crane to get her there..

ellieposting.jpg

Dennis has been with us twice now - once on the broads and once on the L&L.

We noticed he was a bit subdued at first

6835_137938046699_673286699_3077171.jpg

but then just seemed to get used to it after a few hours,

6835_137937871699_673286699_3077140.jpg

Guest TowpathTownie
Ours thinks it is the pack leader and gets into a complete neurotic panic if one of us disappears from sight to untie a rope or do a lock. So we keep him on the top of the back hatch and he's perfect - just sits watching everything. Trouble is he's only a little 'un and started shivering in the cold weather so Starwoman crocheted him this very fetching coat! http://narrowboatstar.blogspot.com/search?...p;max-results=7

Now THAT's a COAT! :lol:

Brilliant! I'll 'inline' your photo :lol:

brian.jpg

We're about ready to get another dog (probably a rescue greyhound).

Have you had a rescue greyhound before? I assume not so my advice is go for it, they are fantastic. When you first get them they are like 4 year old puppies. Everything is new to them, teaching them about stairs is interesting and the boat is just another thing for them to explore and find out what it's all about. They are so laid back and cope so well that the boat has been no effort.

The various greyhound rescue centres are really good at giving you tips. The only thing I would say is find somewhere you can let safely him or her off the lead - they are like coiled springs to start with and you want to get them to relax and know that they don't have to do 100 mph all the time. Ours spend most of their time off a lead, absolutely no problem with getting them on a lead when safety dictates and they are so good on a lead - even coped going round Camden Market the other day, been on trains, buses, the underground (not their favourite mode of travel though).

You see quite a few greyhounds on narrowboats. For example Greygal has 5 on a narrowboat! We met nb Treacle Dolly at Fradley and they have 3 - see here.

We have a mere two but they feature loads on our blog -click here and they have got used to the boat really easy. We recently did a fund raising cruise and had a spanish greyhound, Duke on board - even on a strange boat with 2 strange greyhounds it only took him about 30 seconds to settle.

Hope this helps

Richard

http://indigodream.files.wordpress.com

No, no greyhounds before, only the lurcher, but he appears to have had some similar traits, especially running around very fast in circles to let off steam!

Hopefully we'll be finding our new friend tomorrow - and we've heard that they can be diffident about stairs at first too. We're going with a greyhound rescue group, so hopefully we'll do OK.

5 greyhounds on a narrowboat? :lol: Sounds crowded!

Take the dog on the boat straight away and don't give him the choice. We rescued a litlle terrier over three years ago now, from a field. He had almost certainly never been on a boat before, but took to it instantly. He always seems happier on the boat than he does in the house. We are almost certain to inheret a Spaniel in the near future, and he will get the same introduction.

edited to add that if the terrier hadn't entered our lives so unxpectedly, then I would have liked a rescue greyhound. I think they make amazing pets for the most part.

Edited by Guest

No, no greyhounds before, only the lurcher, but he appears to have had some similar traits

It is hard to generalise with Lurchers but comparing our greyhounds to our lovely old Lurcher, Indie: Greyhounds sleep even more, are even lazier and even more laid back but at the same time manage to be so much faster, so athletic and are very good on the boat. The other difference that you will notice is that whilst some greyhounds can sit, I think that is relatively unusual - neither of ours can sit conventionally - they sort scoot both legs out to one side and sit on the side of a hip. Soldthehouse's Lurcher looks positively alert compared to our two greyhounds! If you have had a lurcher then you will love having a greyhound. Good Luck and enjoy!

Richard

It is hard to generalise with Lurchers but comparing our greyhounds to our lovely old Lurcher, Indie: Greyhounds sleep even more, are even lazier and even more laid back but at the same time manage to be so much faster, so athletic and are very good on the boat. The other difference that you will notice is that whilst some greyhounds can sit, I think that is relatively unusual - neither of ours can sit conventionally - they sort scoot both legs out to one side and sit on the side of a hip. Soldthehouse's Lurcher looks positively alert compared to our two greyhounds! If you have had a lurcher then you will love having a greyhound. Good Luck and enjoy!

Richard

How much do geryhounds eat, Fern the lurcher is the greediest dog weve ever had and recently ate 4tins of meat in a day because we both did the feeding by mistake and she also polishes off Toms food and the cats aswell :lol: