Lies, damn lies and statistics

Guest User

Featured Posts

Hot on the heels of the revelation that there's 2.5 inches of waterway per adult in the UK, I was wondering what other "interesting" statistics might be out there ....

For example,

The system excluding offline mooorings, could handle 176,000 moored boats (at 60ft each, and moored nose-to-stern along the towpath side) ... a bu**er at locks and bridge holes though ?

or ... the existing 25,000 registered boats have 422 ft of waterway each ... which if all equally spaced on the system would allow for seven boat lengths between boats (again at 60ft)

... anyone else got any equally rivetting numbers ?

Hot on the heels of the revelation that there's 2.5 inches of waterway per adult in the UK, I was wondering what other "interesting" statistics might be out there ....

For example,

The system excluding offline mooorings, could handle 176,000 moored boats (at 60ft each, and moored nose-to-stern along the towpath side) ... a bu**er at locks and bridge holes though ?

or ... the existing 25,000 registered boats have 422 ft of waterway each ... which if all equally spaced on the system would allow for seven boat lengths between boats (again at 60ft)

Which is precisely why it is a licence condition that you have a mooring where the boat can be left. Now follow the logic on from there.

So are they trialling this sytem on the Llangollen then?

For example,

If all the boats on the system were laid end to end you could walk from Liverpool to Birmingham without getting your feet wet. And probably meet some nice people along the way.

If all the boats on the system were laid end to end you could walk from Liverpool to Birmingham without getting your feet wet. And probably meet some nice people along the way.

BW would just use it as an excuse not to maintain the tow paths.

And some diesel heaters, and some noisey neighbours and some ........................ (well you get the idea)

Until the cyclists tried to join in :lol:

but easy to allow for, locks at least, there are about 1500, and most are 70 feet long, which with wingwalls and gates etc means allow an average 100 feet per lock. 150,000 feet of lock that's erm 28.4 miles of locks on the system, so remove 2,500 boats

mind you, anyone who bothers to move will have to do the whole system at tickover, and they can't stop, except in a lock, coz there's nowhere to moor

If all the boats on the system were laid end to end you could walk from Liverpool to Birmingham without getting your feet wet.

BW would just use it as an excuse not to maintain the tow paths.

But, (assuming it is on the system), might well be the only way of ever finding Que Sera Sera.

I'd be very surprised if, being a modern suspension bridge, the Forth Road bridge has a single rivet in it!

Tim

Are you absolutely certain I meant road bridge even though thats wot I wrote. I know you think you understood what I said but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard was not what I meant!

Are you absolutely certain I meant road bridge even though thats wot I wrote. I know you think you understood what I said but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard was not what I meant!

I didn't hear nuffin. I read it off the screen!

Richard