To set the record straight

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

As you are all well aware i was convicted of both speeding and navigating without undue care and attention this week. The stories in both NBW and the local rag are a little wrong. I was never arrested during the incident however the local plod attended the scene to find out what had happened. They decided it wasnt a matter for the police and would be best dealt with by BW.

The NBW story insists that BW wouldnt give out my name, however this is again false information. BW have given out our information to any part that would like to report on the incident.

The speed at which i was travelling was never decided however the court decided there was enough evidence to suggest that i was breaking the speed limit and also decided i was navigating with undue care and attention (although if you listen to the evidence given i was very much driving with a lot of care and attention) The fines were set at £66 per offence given that i have no previous convictions or criminal record or even run ins with the law. They used this case as a warning to other boat owners that speeding will not be tolerated.

All parties have decided that the outcome is a fair result for all parties involved and an end to the matter is now in sight.

How long before the anti-speeding/speed kills brigade start requesting that speed cameras are installed on our canals?

I'm with you Phylis, it's much like the SP30 speeding endorsements that I have on my driving license. Was I speeding? Yes. Was I caught? Yes. Will the finger wagging anti speeders still whinge and moan at my driving? Probably. Do I give a f**k if they do? No, not at all!

How long before the anti-speeding/speed kills brigade start requesting that speed cameras are installed on our canals?

I'm with you Phylis, it's much like the SP30 speeding endorsements that I have on my driving license. Was I speeding? Yes. Was I caught? Yes. Will the finger wagging anti speeders still whinge and moan at my driving? Probably. Do I give a f**k if they do? No, not at all!

The EA already use them on the Thames

As you are all well aware i was convicted of both speeding and navigating without undue care and attention this week. The stories in both NBW and the local rag are a little wrong. I was never arrested during the incident however the local plod attended the scene to find out what had happened. They decided it wasnt a matter for the police and would be best dealt with by BW.

The NBW story insists that BW wouldnt give out my name, however this is again false information. BW have given out our information to any part that would like to report on the incident.

The speed at which i was travelling was never decided however the court decided there was enough evidence to suggest that i was breaking the speed limit and also decided i was navigating with undue care and attention (although if you listen to the evidence given i was very much driving with a lot of care and attention) The fines were set at £66 per offence given that i have no previous convictions or criminal record or even run ins with the law. They used this case as a warning to other boat owners that speeding will not be tolerated.

All parties have decided that the outcome is a fair result for all parties involved and an end to the matter is now in sight.

My understanding is NbW asked BW why they had not named the speeder in a press release dated 21st August and BW told them that "they did not want to point the finger". As such NbW found the name from elsewhere. It is, of course, possible that they did provide the name to others.

My understanding is NbW asked BW why they had not named the speeder in a press release dated 21st August and BW told them that "they did not want to point the finger". As such NbW found the name from elsewhere. It is, of course, possible that they did provide the name to others.

The name was provided to anyone that asked for it.

I am not so sure it is fair.

Unless they could prove an actual speed then simply relying upon secondary effects (of speed) is highly doubtful in my view. This is a planing hull and they can be notoriously "dirty" at displacement speeds so any witnesses that were basing their evidence upon wash really should have had their competence to assess speed from wash of planing hulls operating at displacement speed questioning.

I know that speed for speed my narrowboat makes far less wash that many cruisers with planing hulls.

The name was provided to anyone that asked for it.

So you think your name shouldn't have been provided, or is your problem with this simply that there were slight inconsistancies in the reporting?

in "setting the record straight" I think we have to be careful to avoid portraying the perpetrator as a victim.

Edited by blackrose

well done phyllis not for speeding but for coming on here and defending your corner. it is all too easy to set yourself up as judge and jury on a forum and as said already i'm sure several of the snipers have had a speeding ticket at some stage in their lives, i know i have had 7 points on my licence at one time, now i go around with a lot more care!

c,mon rachel you threw a wobbly and you had your a*se smacked , have you now got a criminal record or what , are you on the slippery slope .

Spin it any way you like you is now a BAD GIRL , cant believe you had the cheek to try for not guilty , as well as the offence you went on to waste public money that in itself should have meant you got the full costs of the case .

anyway just of to the boat four a few hours , practice me wave making. can i borrow your hoodie.

There are many inconsistences with all the reported stories.

1.- I was never arrested

2.- The fine amount is wrong in all reports

3.- All information has been made avaliable to all persons who have requested it

Have you tried contacting those who have published inaccurate information ?

(I'd be pretty miffed if there was a press report that said I had been arrested when I had not.)

If so, what was their reaction ? I would have thought you could press for an apology and a correction.