Shroppie Stoppage

Sabs

Featured Posts

Just hold on a cotton pickin' moment here - Stoke might have been fabulous all those years ago with the pottery industries but, according to our log for last Easter, on a wet and windy Good Friday, Stoke on Trent was ' a most miserable and depressing day'. When we arrived at the North end of the Harecastle last summer, there were scores of druggies shooting up and smoking aromatic substances - police everywhere and signs suggesting boaters didn't moor there! We reversed the boat 500 yards and went up the Maccie instead!

Heartbreak hill and its decent is, I agree, amazing and will they ever re-open all those paired locks I wonder?

But Stoke on Trent is the reason why we take the Shroppie south!

The trouble is, I am heading to the Ellesmere rally, but I was only going to cruise a couple of days each week due to work commitments. I could have easily made the trip like that but if I have to go the long way around, and it'll be busier as every hire boat will also be going round, I don't think I can get there in time :lol:

Just to let everyone know that I have had a call from Waterways this morning. The stoppage at Shebdon is going to be lasting for atleast two weeks due to the severity of the breach on the embankment. They have now installed pumps around the site to reinstate the water flow to Drayton etc.

The canal remains open to bridge 44 although the last winding hole is at Grub Street. Waterways are hoping to clear the stranded boats from the Goldstone, Tyrley, Market Drayton area tomorrow once the water levels have returned to normal.

Secure moorings and all facilities are available at Norbury Wharf Limited for those boats from the south heading north.

Regards,

Marvellous! That scuppers our route up to Ellesmere Port next week, then! :lol:;)

It'll be a longer schlep via Fradley or summit in that case. Apologies for the wash, we'll have to be pelting along to get there in time! :lol::lol:;)

If you see us coming, blu-tack down your cuppa.

That's a shame, coz it's a beautiful canal.

We seem to be leaving plenty of stoppages in our wake - this one and then the one on the Leeds and Liverpool at Newlay last week. The Sub Captain is convinced we've got a big spike sticking out of our bottom plate or something. :lol:

Latest: (BW's clock must be fast)!

UPDATE as at 1pm 17.08.09

Following work on Sunday we now believe that the repairs at Shebdon are likely to take a few weeks to complete. This is clearly very disappointing news and longer than we originally anticipated.

Over the weekend we have been able to reinstate the feed to the northern section of the canal and will be starting to let craft sail north during today, Monday 17th August.

Water remains critical though and we will be controlling lockages to allow as many people to get away as quickly as possible.

We would thank everybody for their continued patience while we resolve this difficult situation. It is important that customers continue to follow the instructions of BW Staff on site to ensure that we use water as efficiently as possible and to maximise the numbers of boats that we are able to move.

UPDATE as at 4.00pm 17.08.09

Following requests for more information, the current position regarding navigation on the Shropshire Union Canal is as follows:-

The canal remains open from Autherley Junction through Brewood, Wheaton Aston, Gnossall and Norbury. Customers can turn at the winding hole just north of bridge 40.

From the north side of the site at bridge 48 there are considerable numbers of craft moving north and water resources remain critical. We would ask customers wishing to visit Audlem, Market Drayton and beyond to wait for a short period while we clear the backlog of traffic. There is no southbound navigation beyond Hack Green Locks at this point. This is necessary to preserve our limited water supply but we expect this restriction to be removed within a couple of days.

All businesses remain open for business along this canal.

Well i'm at bridge 41, Norbury was suprisingly quiet, not full of boats waiting as I had expected. At least 2 weeks is what we're being told. Apparantly they have found 3 or 4 football sized holes where the canal is leaking into a culvert. I don't know whether to sit tight and hope the 2 weeks is right or bite the bullet and head back..

Marvellous! That scuppers our route up to Ellesmere Port next week, then! :lol::lol:

It'll be a longer schlep via Fradley or summit in that case. Apologies for the wash, we'll have to be pelting along to get there in time! :lol::lol:;)

If you see us coming, blu-tack down your cuppa.

Just come thru Fradley headin' north on the T&M - Fairly busy but moving! Quite concerned about the 'grapevine' not working - hardly any boaters seemed to know 'bout Shebden's breech!

Just come thru Fradley headin' north on the T&M - Fairly busy but moving! Quite concerned about the 'grapevine' not working - hardly any boaters seemed to know 'bout Shebden's breech!

This is because boaters no longer communicate. When people helped each other at locks and asked other boaters to join them for a natter in the evenings, info was passed on. This no longer happens so boaters stay isolated.

Sue

This is because boaters no longer communicate. When people helped each other at locks and asked other boaters to join them for a natter in the evenings, info was passed on. This no longer happens so boaters stay isolated.

Sue

You're right...those big inverters and flat screen TV's keep 'em all tucked up inside their boats! Alas our inverter is so small, it just about runs this laptop!

Andrew

Sue

You must be boating on very different canals from the near 400 miles we have just travelled in the last 3 weeks.

I've seldom known as much "natter", and we have picked up heaps of useful information about where to shop/eat/drink, as well as good mooring sites and the like.

I've found the percentage of people who will not communicate to be remarkably low, (by which I mean less than 5%).

(Edit for typo error).

Edited by alan_fincher

Sue

And if you do comment on something most of the time you get the impression they (chose from list or add to it)...

1. Know now't about things like stoppages as they just use canals and seem to think they are kept open by higher beings who are never seen but wave a magic wand to fix things instantly.

2. Don't know where they are going anyway as only fred , on the boat knows that.

3. Don't know what canal they are on let alone names of places on it and others.

4. Are trying to get you out the way so they can get on.

5. Let you do the lock and only when you leave come too it so there is no chat unless you yell one sentence as you pass.

6. Are too busy talking to mate to talk to you.

7. Don't understand English.

:lol:

And if you do comment on something most of the time you get the impression they (chose from list or add to it)...

1. Know now't about things like stoppages as they just use canals and seem to think they are kept open by higher beings who are never seen but wave a magic wand to fix things instantly.

2. Don't know where they are going anyway as only fred , on the boat knows that.

3. Don't know what canal they are on let alone names of places on it and others.

4. Are trying to get you out the way so they can get on.

5. Let you do the lock and only when you leave come too it so there is no chat unless you yell one sentence as you pass.

6. Are too busy talking to mate to talk to you.

7. Don't understand English.

I think you and Sue must frequent a very different canal system from the one we have just done nearly 400 miles on in the last 3 weeks.

If I found many people were as you describe, I'm not sure I'd get half as much out of the experience as I do.

You don't initiate the conversations by telling them what type of alternator controller they should have do you - or bestowing the advantages of pump-out over cassette ?

wouldn't wait at either end as news isn't good.

from what has emerged today BW are looking at a substancial delay in repairs being completed

Given they are still looking to see what the problem is and we are well through the season if it is a major problem then it the stoppege could run into the winter.

Unlike the Llangollen - where BW pay money penalties if water does not flow to Crewe waterworks - the Shroppie being open only impacts boaters with no money lost.

And, of course this region (unit) spent much dosh fixing the Mon & Brec - so much there was none for the Weaver lock problem. So if this is a costly repair...

That said let's hope it is easy to fix and cheap and is done quick.

I think you and Sue must frequent a very different canal system from the one we have just done nearly 400 miles on in the last 3 weeks.

If I found many people were as you describe, I'm not sure I'd get half as much out of the experience as I do.

You don't initiate the conversations by telling them what type of alternator controller they should have do you - or bestowing the advantages of pump-out over cassette ?

Wot's an alternator controller bro?

So, BW have penalties to pay if the Llangollen cut is shut for more than 48 hours....do us boaters have any financial claim on BW for not keeping various waterways open? Are we not paying for a service as well? Just a thought!

No, it is an explicit term of your boat licence that you have no claim as a result of a stoppage.