Shroppie Stoppage

Sabs

Featured Posts

On the Llangollen the Welsh money spenders could put their dragons on the border at Chirk Aqueduct.

A few years ago I popped into a bookshop in the City that was hosting a book launch of a book 'Aerial Photographs Of Wales' and a very nice book it was as well. Unfortunately page one was titled a view of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, but they put in a picture of Chirk aqueduct. I didn't have the heart to tell them that not only was it the wrong aqueduct but that it was not even in Wales!

Tim

So, then, we're all in agreement then that we raise a few million quid and commission two huge bronze beasts to sit astride Hurlston bottom lock......

What would other forum members do to spruce up their local junction or canal entrance?

Oh no we're not!! If you've got a few million quid to blow on a canal then I'm sure I can find much better things to spend it on.

Richard

How about rebuilding the Bradley Locks Branch?

Oh no we're not!! If you've got a few million quid to blow on a canal then I'm sure I can find much better things to spend it on.

Richard

How about rebuilding the Bradley Locks Branch?

Nah,

I definitely vote for even more lock-side bollards...... Or better still, even more signage - I'm sure we spotted a few unlabelled culverts and weirs.......

Bradley's lost his arm! He had it the other night.

How very careless of him.

Come on. You remember the Bradley. Winding Tawny Owl with a fag paper clearance each end while two of the crew broke into the BW yard?

Richard

So, then, we're all in agreement then that we raise a few million quid and commission two huge bronze beasts to sit astride Hurlston bottom lock......

What would other forum members do to spruce up their local junction or canal entrance?

A giant nude large breasted figurine at the entrance to any canal junction would certainly liven it up!

(oh yes and it can straddle the junction so boaters can pass underneath and admire the...... erm... whatever!)

A giant nude large breasted figurine at the entrance to any canal junction would certainly liven it up!

(oh yes and it can straddle the junction so boaters can pass underneath and admire the...... erm... whatever!)

Would it have to piddle on them?

Hawksbury could be improved by converting it to a T junction and getting the levels right and dispensing with the silly lock.

TC

Hawksbury could be improved by converting it to a T junction and getting the levels right and dispensing with the silly lock.

TC

Ignoring all of the historical implications of what you are suggesting, and the removal of a spectacle for the gongoozlers, do you suggest dredging from Hawksbury to Braunston, Napton and Calcutt locks to lower the canal by 6"? Or raising all of the banks and spill ways from Hawksbury to Atherstone, Coventry Basin and the end of the Ashby to raise that by 6"?

Richard

Ignoring all of the historical implications of what you are suggesting, and the removal of a spectacle for the gongoozlers, do you suggest dredging from Hawksbury to Braunston, Napton and Calcutt locks to lower the canal by 6"? Or raising all of the banks and spill ways from Hawksbury to Atherstone, Coventry Basin and the end of the Ashby to raise that by 6"?

Richard

Hillmorten?

I thought they were breaking out though? :lol:

The winding hole is inside the BW yard. The pub name needed for the treasure hunt clue was outside. Scouts had gone ahead to find the answer as I battled down the last three hundred yards of overgrown weed infested swamp they call a canal. They climbed into the yard to assis with the winding. :lol:

I'd like to see a Shrewsbury Canal and the Bradley arm re-connected ;)

They were once connected? :lol::lol:

The winding hole is inside the BW yard. The pub name needed for the treasure hunt clue was outside. Scouts had gone ahead to find the answer as I battled down the last three hundred yards of overgrown weed infested swamp they call a canal. They climbed into the yard to assis with the winding. :lol:

Worse! The pub was shut!

Richard

If you think the entrance to the Llangollen is bad, see the entrance from the Thames @ Brentford and from EA at Northampton.

Sue

Ah, but in both those cases you are just so glad to be getting off the river that you wouldn't care what it looked like. The Northampton fllight are my favourite locks in the whole country for the simple reason that they are not Nene locks.

Would it have to piddle on them?

Only once it started leaking

Dunno this part of the cut.....what's up?

Somebody has just suggested doing away with one of the (very) few remaining stop locks on the system, because it is "silly"!

Quite apart from the fact that the 4 remaining stop locks actually remain because it isn't practical to remove them, all the others having long since been de-gated, it seems to me that degating any more of them would be institutuional vandalism!

Because I seldom come across them, and to stop me trawling through the books, where are they all please, Dave.....

Hawkesbury ("Sutton Stop")

Autherley (although the level difference there seemed marginal)

I don't know the Macc, but does Hall Green count as a stop lock.

And what's Dutton Stop lock about, (never been there either!), as it's not I think close to a junction......

List, please !