Shroppie Stoppage

Sabs

Featured Posts

E-mail reply today from BW after I enquired about the progress on fixing Shebdon Embankment:

The situation at present is that we hope to re-open the canal at Shebdon Embankment by the October half term which is w/c 26th October however we cannot guarantee this date at this stage. We would advise that you keep an eye on our website www.waterscape.com for further updates/information

E-mail reply today from BW after I enquired about the progress on fixing Shebdon Embankment:

The situation at present is that we hope to re-open the canal at Shebdon Embankment by the October half term which is w/c 26th October however we cannot guarantee this date at this stage. We would advise that you keep an eye on our website www.waterscape.com for further updates/information

Does that mean that hirers and families are BW's priorities, while other boaters will have to get used to stoppages?

• 1 month later...

Update as follows;

Associated Regional Office: BW Wales & Borders

UPDATE as at 4pm - 11.09.09

Following on from our update on 7th September we are able to confirm the planned date for reopening the canal will be 24th October 2009.

The canal remains navigable from the South up to the winding hole at Shebdon Wharf just North of bridge 44 and from the North down to the winding hole at Park Heath bridge 48. The canal and local businesses remain open as usual in all other areas.

The boat is currently at Henhull, and I'm wanting to get beyond Market Drayton this coming weekend. As the cut won't be open yet, can anybody advise on a safe place, preferably on rings, that I can leave the boat for two weeks from 18th to 30th, without getting in the way?

Thanks.

I was gonna ask that....Judging by the bright yellow laminated posters BW's now put up all over the cut displaying a nice picture of Shebden with several 'large' holes in the bed, I hear from Lynda the BW lady at Hurlston that 'it's gonna take a while....we need to know where all the leaked water went!'

read tonight on internet that Easter is a possibility

When I was at Shebdon at the weekend I heard, from the locals, that BW had found another hole at Shebdon, hope that doesn't delay the reopening :lol: . Tried looking on Waterscape but can't seem to get it to work..

A friend was at the local BW user group meeting on Monday when it was stated that there will be a trial filling this week, if it is succesful the canal may open as scheduled on the 24th.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Every piece of information i have points to shebdon expecting to reopen on the 24th Oct, which will be intime for boats coming south (from the north) for the meet and norbury and for us (going north) to pass through after the meet on our way home.

HOWEVER, the added dimension now is that they are intending to close middlewich big lock on the 2nd Nov (till the 18th Dec) for maintenance of the gate seals. Which will mean the boat planning to weekend there way back home from the shebdon breach or the norbury meet going north would be hard pushed to get passed middlewich before the 2nd and home to Anderton or the Bridgewater canal.

Ive rung BW twice now yesterday and this morning and so far been told i need to speak to customer relations (rather than the reception) and that although they are busy they will ring me back asap. So far no call.

Will keep anyone posted.

Daniel

Seams BW have a 6th sense. Meer seconds from posting the above i got a phone call from a 'Steve Vicknell' stating that he was going speak to the area manager for middlewich and talk about the possibility for putting back the date of the stoppage by a few days or so. He did stress about three times that this was extremely unlikely and that the stoppage will have been planned for about 5 years (?) and that even a day or two change would have sever implications for the whole winters stoppage program but we shall see.

I dont know how many other people the wrong side of shebdon will be wanting to go on through middlewich after the stoppage but for us atlease it would be a major headache as i really dont see us being able to get from shebdon on the 24th to middlewich for the 2nd and once stuck the wrong side of middlewich for nearly two months we will be forced to drain down all the steamplant and winterise the boat making it difficult to then move it even once the stoppage has been lifted.

I admit on one level that maybe if i had enquired about stoppages earlier it would have been possible to go the long way round though stoke (now not possible, due to similar stoppages at stone and church lawton) however we do gently try and avoid harecastle for the benefit of all (its not hard, but it slow for all with the steam/funnel/smoke issue) so yeah. Fingers crossed for a few days grace with the middlewich stoppage.

Daniel

It has re-opened today.

Tim

Emergency Stoppage at Shebdon Embankment

Thursday 13 August 2009 - Friday 23 October 2009

UPDATE (23 October 2009): The navigation has re-opened to craft this morning. Boaters are advised that there is no mooring between Shebdon Wharf and Bridge 45 due to the presence of workboats. Boaters are advised to exercise caution and adhere to local warning signs whilst passing along this section of canal.

The towpath will remain closed for the next two weeks whilst the contractor removes equipment and reinstates the towpath.

Subject: Stoppage: Shropshire Union Canal

Bridge 100 Shropshire Union Canal

Friday 23 October 2009 until further notice

The towpath below Bridge 100 has been closed for safety reasons following damage to the bridge by a Heavy Goods Vehicle. The navigation remains open. The towpath will remain closed until the repair work is completed.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The towpath is also closed

Enquiries: 01606 723800