Cotton ropes

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

What’s the best way of cleaning cotton rope?

I’ve got a rather elaborate swan’s neck made from cotton line on the butty. I’d like to restore its pristine white look but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know that washing or scrubbing cotton line makes it go all furry. I’ve used plimsole whitener on the hose pipes on the cratch, but I’m reluctant to use this on decorative rope work. How did the old boatmen do it?

I’ve got a rather elaborate swan’s neck made from cotton line on the butty. I’d like to restore its pristine white look but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know that washing or scrubbing cotton line makes it go all furry. I’ve used plimsole whitener on the hose pipes on the cratch, but I’m reluctant to use this on decorative rope work. How did the old boatmen do it?

Apparently solely scrubbing with water, but I don't think this is possible if they've gone green or have mildew. Mildew will never come out but the green will go if you scrub with clean water. It is said that they never used pipclay or any other whitener.

Why a distinction ? Do "youngs" unfortunate enough to have false teeth either use something different, or leave them uncleaned ?

Now I can see why you have decided not to run that "Alan Fincher Fan Club" thread Phylis.

Richard

I heard that putting rope into a pillow case and chucking it in the washing machine does it, but never tried it myself - my washing machine is too small!

I heard that putting rope into a pillow case and chucking it in the washing machine does it, but never tried it myself - my washing machine is too small!

Washing machine, hot wash, rope in cotton bag/pillowcase not essential but saves a lot of tangling, packet or two of glo white.

Then dry naturally, can take a day or two. No tumble dryers please.

Ropes come up like new. You don't want to do it too often as the fibres will start coming apart. A little bit of preventive maintenance now and again is best. I'd love to know how often they were cleaned and replaced in working times.Was the fancy work cut from old cotton towing lines?

Certain people I know are investigating a supply of 8/10mm cotton line in 100' lengths, maybe if the certain people are reading this post they might be able to let me know how their investigations are going, if indeed they are going. ;) I hope that's diplomatic enough ;)

Dont know. I aint got false teeth

You will have if you keep this up :lol::o

Oops where's the edit button :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by sparky2

Certain people I know are investigating a supply of 8/10mm cotton line in 100' lengths, maybe if the certain people are reading this post they might be able to let me know how their investigations are going, if indeed they are going. :lol: I hope that's diplomatic enough :lol:

http://www.mudfords.co.uk/products/rope-+-...on/Cotton-Rope/

Like this

Andrew

Very much like that, only spun in the north in a mill near Stockport. Do you see where I'm coming from now :lol: :lol:

Have you tried Mudfords rope yerself Andy? Reason for sourcing an alternative supply to the 'regular suppliers' from the Midlands( diplomacy again, can't last with me!) is that the latest stuff falls apart quite quickly when cleaning, the fibres pull out of the yarn too easily.You end up with a scrubbing brush full of dog hairs!

So certain people having been trying to find somebody to knit rope for us. Could end up like the cans thread this. Please god no........................

Edited by sparky2

Very much like that, only spun in the north in a mill near Stockport. Do you see where I'm coming from now :lol: :lol:

Have you tried Mudfords rope yerself Andy? Reason for sourcing an alternative supply to the 'regular suppliers' from the Midlands( diplomacy again, can't last with me!) is that the latest stuff falls apart quite quickly when cleaning, the fibres pull out of the yarn too easily.You end up with a scrubbing brush full of dog hairs!

So certain people having been trying to find somebody to knit rope for us. Could end up like the cans thread this. Please god no........................

I use them for sisal and manilla ropes but not cotton....yet. could get a smple and see what happens to it.

Andrew

Another vote for the washing machine .. my neighbour put his ropes through the washing machine and they came out all sparkly white.

Personally though, I'm happy with grey ropes ... hides the dirt better :lol:

Black ropes are even better

Hi KK,

Another set of 'brilliant' answers, a photo of the delicate ropework would help maybe and then posters could see the problem.

Leo

PS I would hang the item up, paint on some soft low temp washing powder, leave it for a while and then carefully rise it off and then air dry it well and store it carefully. Second mortgage job if you had a new one made.

Is that true? I quite enjoy doing a bit of decorative ropework. Is there money in it?

Richard

If KK posts a pic it will quickly become apparent that this comes under the heading of 'Advanced Dec. Ropework'. Really nice.

ATB

Leo.

Whoops!!!! not sure what happened there, oh as for rope,I mix up some vanish powder in a bucket and soak rope overnight, hose off in the morning.

If it's any consolation, from the other side of the cut, it looks perfectly white! (Well with my eyesight, anyway).

:lol:

What the hell were you attacking with power tools today - it looked like you were fighting half a steel barrel, (and losing! :lol: ......)