Halfords Automatic Battery Charger

blackrose

Featured Posts

A friend on another boat in the marina has a spare halfords automatic battery charger in a black vertical wedge-shaped plastic case with an integral handle on top. I think they sell for about £40.

Since his bow-thruster batteries aren't connected to his main battery charger and he doesn't go out very much the batteries self-discharge, so I suggested he use the halfords charger as a dedicated BT battery charger to keep his BT batteries topped up all the time while on shore power.

But I don't want to give him duff advice. It this a true 3 stage charger and can it be left on to keep his BT batteries on a float charge? It has an indicator light which says "maintaining" and switches to set the battery type. I've no idea what the output is - it doesnt say on the case. If it is suitable I'll change the croc clips for ring terminals for him.

Edited by blackrose

A friend on another boat in the marina has a spare halfords automatic battery charger in a black vertical wedge-shaped plastic case with an integral handle on top. I think they sell for about £40.

Since his bow-thruster batteries aren't connected to his main battery charger and he doesn't go out very much the batteries self-discharge, so I suggested he use the halfords charger as a dedicated BT battery charger to keep his BT batteries topped up all the time while on shore power.

But I don't want to give him duff advice. It this a true 3 stage charger and can it be left on to keep his BT batteries on a float charge? It has an indicator light which says "maintaining" and switches to set the battery type. I've no idea what the output is - it doesnt say on the case. If it is suitable I'll change the croc clips for ring terminals for him.

From memory the output is 6amps and they can be left to trickle charge, the trickle output is about 1.5 amps ... there is a CE-specs plate somewhere on them (underneath ?)

Just found the link ..... is this the one ? .... Halfords charger (clicky)

Edited by Graham!

From memory the output is 6amps and they can be left to trickle charge, the trickle output is about 1.5 amps ... there is a CE-specs plate somewhere on them (underneath ?)

Just found the link ..... is this the one ? .... Halfords charger (clicky)

Thanks, that's the one. I'm just not sure if its safe to leave on permanently?

Perhaps he should just do a weekly charge?

We have this charger and have left it charging the batteries when we leave the marina.

It only lasted until the leccy ran out (we had to put 20p pieces in a meter where we used to moor), so we were never sure if it would have been safe to leave it running for longer periods of time.

It certainly seems to have done no harm, but we were planning to get a more expensive 3-stage charger instead, when funds were available.

I too would be interested in comments about this item.

Jo.

We have this charger and have left it charging the batteries when we leave the marina.

It only lasted until the leccy ran out (we had to put 20p pieces in a meter where we used to moor), so we were never sure if it would have been safe to leave it running for longer periods of time.

It certainly seems to have done no harm, but we were planning to get a more expensive 3-stage charger instead, when funds were available.

I too would be interested in comments about this item.

Jo.

I have what must be the previous model of this charger - I have left it connected for a week to a motorcycle battery and its fine - so would be fine on a couple of car batteries in parallel - it does drop down to a float voltage after hitting 14.4 volts.

Nick

I have what must be the previous model of this charger - I have left it connected for a week to a motorcycle battery and its fine - so would be fine on a couple of car batteries in parallel - it does drop down to a float voltage after hitting 14.4 volts.

Nick

Thanks, it sounds like its probably more suitable for charging sealed batteries if it only goes up to 14.4v but at least its not going to damage the batteries.

Thanks, it sounds like its probably more suitable for charging sealed batteries if it only goes up to 14.4v but at least its not going to damage the batteries.

Hi,

Yes - The switches on mine have settings for sealed and normal, wet-battery types, and car and bike

capacities battery sizes / capacities

From quick checks it seemed that the settings resulted in the following approx values:

Sealed 14.8 volts

Normal 14.4 volts

and initial charging currents of

Bike 0.8 amps

Car 6 amps (these currents dropped as battery voltage came up, as would be expected)

Nick

From quick checks it seemed that the settings resulted in the following approx values:

Sealed 14.8 volts

Normal 14.4 volts

From reading other threads I think this should be the other way round. Sealed batteries cannot accept as high a voltage as Normal Wet cells.

I have this model permanently connected to my domestic batteries and I leave it switched on whenever we are in the marina on mains power.

I've had it on there for 12 months and doesn't seem to be doing any harm and as far as I know, the batteries are always charged.

Les.

I have this model permanently connected to my domestic batteries and I leave it switched on whenever we are in the marina on mains power.

I've had it on there for 12 months and doesn't seem to be doing any harm and as far as I know, the batteries are always charged.

Les.

Since you are using it permanently, if you haven't done so already I think you should change the croc clips for ring terminals.

I use that Halfords charger for the engine battery, powered direct from the mains hookup.

Domestic battery is charged through the inverter/charger combi.

I'm surprised one of the elecktrickery guys hasn't rubbished them on this thread yet. :lol:

I'm surprised one of the elecktrickery guys hasn't rubbished them on this thread yet. :lol:

Well not me but I know of one who always does. I actually said quite the opposite in a thread a few months ago that I won't even bother trying to find because the search engine never gives me what I ask for.

Gibbo

I had a Durite one 16 amp to float. It came with the boat and has worked continuously for 3 years from shore power. It recently packed up (not sure why) so I now have this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-10-30-A...93%3A1|294%3A50

I still have the same batteries and only ever check them never yet had to top up. 3 x 110Ah

My Halfords charger (left permanently connected) worked fine until about a month ago when it gave up and boiled the batteries... which I could have done without. I now have a super-whizzy C-Tek one connected.

Ah now that's interesting. Perhaps these cheaper automatic chargers are best used on a daily or weekly basis rather than being left on permanently. Does anyone know, if the croc clips were changed for ring terminals and the charger was then switched off, is there a possibility that the batteries would then lose their charge through the connections?

Edited by blackrose

I have the frauds charger, and for what it is, and what it costs (with trade card) i seams competent bit of kit.

- I use it for the kitcar (tiny battery, knackered alternator belt, and infrequent use) and its does well.

- Also used it on housemates 206 a few times when he's left the alarm on for a month an wonderes why its flat

I think it would do the job in question for a budget. But i dont think i would aim to leave it attached 24/7, partiualarly not when theres noone on board to gentle watch it.

The C-Tek howver, is used use by a lot of kitcar people to keep there batteries up and i know a lot of people who leave it on 24/7 and are very happy.

Daniel

Ah now that's interesting. Perhaps these cheaper automatic chargers are best used on a daily or weekly basis rather than being left on permanently. Does anyone know, if the croc clips were changed for ring terminals and the charger was then switched off, is there a possibility that the batteries would then lose their charge through the connections?

It is possible but I seriously doubt it. It would actually take a touch of stupid genius to come up with a charger circuit that could successfully charge batteries but that would also discharge them with no power applied. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Gibbo

It is possible but I seriously doubt it. It would actually take a touch of stupid genius to come up with a charger circuit that could successfully charge batteries but that would also discharge them with no power applied. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Gibbo

For any particular example of a charger, if you are concerned, it would presumably only take a small amount of testing with a multi-meter to find out.

I have in the past seen chargers for Ni-Cad cells that result in a slow discharge if you unplug the charger, but leave the batteries in it. (I was surprised, but I have). Obviously a charger for lead acids is a different beast entirely, but as Gibbo says, a bad enough design could achieve it there, as well.

For any particular example of a charger, if you are concerned, it would presumably only take a small amount of testing with a multi-meter to find out.

Yes, very easy to check.

I have in the past seen chargers for Ni-Cad cells that result in a slow discharge if you unplug the charger, but leave the batteries in it. (I was surprised, but I have). Obviously a charger for lead acids is a different beast entirely, but as Gibbo says, a bad enough design could achieve it there, as well.

The big difference is that a charger control circuit will need a few tens of milliamps, regardless of the size of charger. If badly designed, that could come from the batteries, but doing that from a 400Ahr battery bank is irrelevant really, whereas doing it from a PP3 NiCad is obviously a bit of a problem!

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo