Canal Matches

Featured Posts

You could be given one of those little handsets, like you get at English Heritage sites, at the bridge hole before the match.

It could give you a peg by peg commentary, detailing each angler's preferences, as to how you should cruise past his swim.

A brief biog of each fisherman would be nice too: "Geoff is a butcher who has been fishing for twenty years. He prefers boats to stay mid channel, at one third throttle."

You give back the handset, at the bridge hole after the match, your life enhanced, feeling you've made new friends and, just maybe, been introduced to the next Tom Pickering.

Like everything else gets completely removed after each match, then ? :lol:

Like the rubbish left in my very rural mooring by boaters, two bin bags full so far and there are still piles of rotten wood and boatfittings strewn through the hedgerow.

There are good and bad in all walks of life, most fishing clubs I belong to have 'clean peg or no weigh in' rule in matches, that includes having to pick up rubbish from idle boaters any rubbish found in the peg results in disqualification.

IME most rubbish is left by pleasure anglers and children and that could be mostly cured with an ongoing education program aimed at casual anglers.

Paul

Like the rubbish left in my very rural mooring by boaters, two bin bags full so far and there are still piles of rotten wood and boatfittings strewn through the hedgerow.

There are good and bad in all walks of life, most fishing clubs I belong to have 'clean peg or no weigh in' rule in matches, that includes having to pick up rubbish from idle boaters any rubbish found in the peg results in disqualification.

IME most rubbish is left by pleasure anglers and children and that could be mostly cured with an ongoing education program aimed at casual anglers.

Paul

See!

Things like this could be included in the commentary, on the handsets.

That way every boater could learn a new and interesting fact, every time they cruise past a fishing match.

See!

Things like this could be included in the commentary, on the handsets.

That way every boater could learn a new and interesting fact, every time they cruise past a fishing match.

Perfect! Perhaps available with celebrity voiceovers, for added SatNav inspired brilliance.

Paul

On the whole, I agree with you Paul.

For any group of canal users, (boaters, anglers, cyclists, walkers, dog owners, canoeists, etc., etc), there is a vast majority who behave responsibly, and a tiny minority who give their particular group a bad name.

The one thing that does scare me about (some) anglers is the large amount of quite lethal hardware that gets left dangling from trees, hedges, power lines, etc. I'm not quite sure how education can solve that one, as 95% of the time they have managed to get it there they couldn't then retrieve it without a boat. It does surprise me that more people don't get injured by it, though - I spot hooks at roughly eye height rather too often.

On the whole, I agree with you Paul.

For any group of canal users, (boaters, anglers, cyclists, walkers, dog owners, canoeists, etc., etc), there is a vast majority who behave responsibly, and a tiny minority who give their particular group a bad name.

The one thing that does scare me about (some) anglers is the large amount of quite lethal hardware that gets left dangling from trees, hedges, power lines, etc. I'm not quite sure how education can solve that one, as 95% of the time they have managed to get it there they couldn't then retrieve it without a boat. It does surprise me that more people don't get injured by it, though - I spot hooks at roughly eye height rather too often.

As you say they have little chance to retrieve lost tackle, without a boat, but i have seen angler take extraordinary measures to recover lost kit

I'm a 'see a bit of litter pick it up before it causes grief' type of person and I include lost fishing tackle in that so i'm often seen moored up in the bushes retrieving lost kit, I'd rather do that and save a bird or vole from suffering, rather than moan about it then walk, sail or drive past. JMO but it's our world to look after I can't do much about big nasty things in life but I can pick up a bit of litter where needed and make my world a little nicer!

Paul

The original idea was for a removalable sign which stands on some legs....nothing permanent.

Sorry but the matches I fish, the only thing I've seen left after is either tipped maggots, groundbait and squashed grass....

I personally, take all tins, cans, bags and line home - whether I'm pleasure fishing or match fishing.

But anyway I'd rather people stay on topic please.

GE

The original idea was for a removalable sign which stands on some legs....nothing permanent.

Sorry but the matches I fish, the only thing I've seen left after is either tipped maggots, groundbait and squashed grass....

I personally, take all tins, cans, bags and line home - whether I'm pleasure fishing or match fishing.

GE

Actually, this IS on-topic!

Your query concerned getting boaters to behave better, because your impression is that some behave badly.

The discussion so far has identified;

• Some are doing things that you don't like because they don't know what is the right thing to do (and some anglers give conflicting advice)
  • You can't expect boaters to be angling experts, and know exactly what to do. You have to come up with a simple rule of thumb, and accept that where the rule of thumb doesn't work, it's a pity, but you have to live with it
  • There are limits to how far it is feasible for boaters to accomodate you.
  • You are asking boaters to go out of their way to accomodate your needs. Boaters aren't going to do that unless you go out of your way to accomodate them, and smile at them!
  • It is more likely that boaters will accomodate you if you are not seen as antisocial users, so "clear up after yourself" is an important part of the package for getting boaters to play it your way. I accept that many anglers do clear up, but others don't, and leaving waste bait is a problem (it attracts vermin after you have gone home, and makes the canal bank inhospitable for a boater to moor to)

If all you want is a way to get boaters to change their behaviour, but without any quid-pro-quo from anglers, it won't work.

Not much chance of that here.

I still think my handsets are the way forward.

"Harry is 97 and has fished here for 84 years. Please could you make sure your horse doesn't eat his ground bait."

Read the few first say half dozen posts and its the same story as always with fisherman and boaters, never thought that that it was this bad myself between us canal lovers untill i came onto this forum.

Its as bad with lots of hobbys, i was an off roader not long ago, some agro there, walkers didnt like 4x4`s, suzuki owners and landrover owners didnt get on etc. Humans!!!!!!!

we will never get on :lol:

On topic now sorry.

Down the middle and signs would work for most, as said, lots of folk dont take notice, fisherman or boaters.

On another thought, if the boats go throuhg a match atleast it all even with them, it will put all the pegs off :lol:

(one fisher/boater that dont care either way, if you can catch that is he he)

Not much chance of that here.

I still think my handsets are the way forward.

"Harry is 97 and has fished here for 84 years. Please could you make sure your horse doesn't eat his ground bait."

I'd like the commentary to be linked to a weight sensor on each anglers keep net so that I can get an up to date understanding of the state of play. Could that be included please?

Richard

I'd like the commentary to be linked to a weight sensor on each anglers keep net so that I can get an up to date understanding of the state of play. Could that be included please?

Richard

And a record of their personal best would be informative.

Read the few first say half dozen posts and its the same story as always with fisherman and boaters, never thought that that it was this bad myself between us canal lovers untill i came onto this forum.

Its as bad with lots of hobbys, i was an off roader not long ago, some agro there, walkers didnt like 4x4`s, suzuki owners and landrover owners didnt get on etc. Humans!!!!!!!

we will never get on :lol:

On topic now sorry.

Down the middle and signs would work for most, as said, lots of folk dont take notice, fisherman or boaters.

On another thought, if the boats go throuhg a match atleast it all even with them, it will put all the pegs off :lol:

(one fisher/boater that dont care either way, if you can catch that is he he)

I'm not sure that it is "the same story as always"

Boaters and Anglers have conflicting needs of the canals, and it is not possible for either to get exactly what they want.

Conflict arises where either or both can't see that simple truth, and simply believe that the other is being awkward or selfish.

There is a need for an accomodation where both do what they can to accomodate the other, where both appreciate that the other has gone some way towards meeting their wants, and where both appreciate that some of their wants may put an unacceptable burden on the other.

Reaching an accomodation requires an understanding of how what we do affects the other party. Half the problem is that boaters often don't understand angling, and anglers don't understand boating. Each comes to the table with a "well, can't you just...." mindset, largely because he doesn't understand that what he is asking for is actually quite difficult for the other to achieve.

I applaud Gareth for "entering the lions den" as it were, to discuss the issues on our home ground. He has raised some of the areas that boaters don't understand, and we are better informed, and he has, I hope, learned something about boating that perhaps anglers don't understand.

I applaud Gareth for "entering the lions den" as it were, to discuss the issues on our home ground. He has raised some of the areas that boaters don't understand, and we are better informed, and he has, I hope, learned something about boating that perhaps anglers don't understand.
Definatley.....many things....mainly that they want "live" updates during matches as they go by lol....

This is a good comment and something to remember for the future.

It is more likely that boaters will accomodate you if you are not seen as antisocial users, so "clear up after yourself" is an important part of the package for getting boaters to play it your way. I accept that many anglers do clear up, but others don't, and leaving waste bait is a problem (it attracts vermin after you have gone home, and makes the canal bank inhospitable for a boater to moor to)

GE

Has anybody ever thought that a small booklet should be issued with every boat licence with the required code of practise about what you should or should NOT do as per anglers and angling.

ALSO a similar one should be issued to all anglers with their licence. With an extra notification on match tickets.

THEN NOBODY CAN SAY THEY DID NOT KNOW.!!!

Has anybody ever thought that a small booklet should be issued with every boat licence with the required code of practise about what you should or should NOT do as per anglers and angling.

ALSO a similar one should be issued to all anglers with their licence. With an extra notification on match tickets.

THEN NOBODY CAN SAY THEY DID NOT KNOW.!!!

But who decides on a "code of practice"?

3 of the last locks i did on the caen hill flight earlier this week and some folk wonder why anglers get no cooperation from boaters?ps there ere more but i was trying to moor and couldn`t take pics

devizes005.jpg

devizes004.jpg

devizes003.jpg

the third guy was quite happy in the fact that i moored 62 ft of boat across him and decided it was time for a sandwich and a cuppa

Edited by denboy

Haha, I got shouted at by my first fisherman this weekend (just below the Kentish Town Road lock in Camden) and felt sufficiently knowledgable after reading this thread that I ignored him smugly as I was in the right (as opposed to my former reaction, which was ignoring them fairly sheepishly).

HA! Er, well, y'know...

The first image, young family? probably dont know and probably dont have a license either.

So it's not just boaters who make assumptions about each others' licence status!

Maybe you should be made to display a licence disc, on your maggot box.