Canal Matches

Featured Posts

3 of the last locks i did on the caen hill flight earlier this week and some folk wonder why anglers get no cooperation from boaters?ps there ere more but i was trying to moor and couldn`t take pics

the third guy was quite happy in the fact that i moored 62 ft of boat across him and decided it was time for a sandwich and a cuppa

yes, very good :lol: But to add balance perhaps you could take pictures of all the boaters you have passed that are stretching the rules a little as well, after the bottom of the flight and on to Bradford you could fill a digi camera with shots of overstayers, moored on waterpoints and unlicenced craft all would be breaking rules as much as these anglers!

Signs and rules are only for the 'sheep' of society, do we have a 1% section of the boating community :lol:

Shep

yes, very good :lol: But to add balance perhaps you could take pictures of all the boaters you have passed that are stretching the rules a little as well, after the bottom of the flight and on to Bradford you could fill a digi camera with shots of overstayers, moored on waterpoints and unlicenced craft all would be breaking rules as much as these anglers!

Signs and rules are only for the 'sheep' of society, do we have a 1% section of the boating community :lol:

Shep

over stayers and unlicensed boats do not prevent me from mooring up to operate locks though, and they are bw`s responsibility to sort out,

over stayers and unlicensed boats do not prevent me from mooring up to operate locks though, and they are bw`s responsibility to sort out,

The annoying ones do, though, and hog visitor moorings and water points (as do the annoying licensed boats and ones with permanent moorings).

Are you suggesting that anglers should be capable of self-policing, but boaters can be sorted out by BW?

The annoying ones do, though, and hog visitor moorings and water points (as do the annoying licensed boats and ones with permanent moorings).

Are you suggesting that anglers should be capable of self-policing, but boaters can be sorted out by BW?

nah not at all we all know it will never happen :lol: .

and yes i fish as well so not anti angler on the third pound above the flight i stopped and helped a lad get a 30lb carp in the bag :lol: who was not fishing off a landing stage

You are lucky then because I have suffered with the actions of selfish boaters many times over the last 10 years, on lock moorings, water points, pump outs visitor moorings etc

Are you saying its YOUR responsibilty to 'grass up' a few anglers having a pleasant day out :lol:

Paul

Shep

But the persistant offenders below Bradford are not the same boaters as those working the Caen Hill flight, are they?

Furthermore you can take some details of an offending boat and report it to BW in the hope that they will do something. If they are overstaying as much as you suggest, it will not be difficult to find them, but the offending angler will be well gone by the time BW have arrived. Mind you I have to ask why did the Caen Hill Lock Keeperes not move the anglers on?

Edited by David Schweizer

Should we actually be reporting these incidents to BW through the standard reporting mechanism?

Certainly the images provided in this thread provide good evidence of what is happening.

Not necessarily to "grass" on individuals but so that BW are aware that there is a problem and then might even do something to try and resolve the problems that are being caused

You are lucky then because I have suffered with the actions of selfish boaters many times over the last 10 years, on lock moorings, water points, pump outs visitor moorings etc

Are you saying its YOUR responsibilty to 'grass up' a few anglers having a pleasant day out :lol:

Paul

ah so its ok for a few anglers to make a boaters day out difficult and awkward as long as they are having a pleasant day out its ok,didnt know that :lol:

ah so its ok for a few anglers to make a boaters day out difficult and awkward as long as they are having a pleasant day out its ok,didnt know that :lol:

Yes sort of, it's OK, it's not the end of the world for you or them, I would think if you published pictures of the faces of people mooring on water points and lock landings you might find a stronger reaction back. And this would be from boaters who know better than to moor in these places, most newby anglers would not know that lock moorings were off limits (there are no signs on most landing areas), it just looks a nice comfy place to fish with your family.

There are times in the quieter months that an angler fishing in around a lock on a weekday might not see a boat for months, in that case why should a boat have exclusive access, priority should be enough.

Paul

Yes sort of, it's OK, it's not the end of the world for you or them, I would think if you published pictures of the faces of people mooring on water points and lock landings you might find a stronger reaction back. And this would be from boaters who know better than to moor in these places, most newby anglers would not know that lock moorings were off limits (there are no signs on most landing areas), it just looks a nice comfy place to fish with your family.

There are times in the quieter months that an angler fishing in around a lock on a weekday might not see a boat for months, in that case why should a boat have exclusive access, priority should be enough.

Paul

Lock landings are for boats i have never seen a sign on any of them stating "if no boats come past then this landing will revert to being a fishing platform and sod the boater who wants to use it"

Lock landings are for boats i have never seen a sign on any of them stating "if no boats come past then this landing will revert to being a fishing platform and sod the boater who wants to use it"

If no boats are there and anglers want to fish there what's the problem? Boats need to have priority I agree, but exclusivity seems a little 'elitist' to me.

Paul

If no boats are there and anglers want to fish there what's the problem? Boats need to have priority I agree, but exclusivity seems a little 'elitist' to me.

Paul

ah again forgive me i didnt realize anglers were able to see into the future and would know that after they set up there gear on the lock landing no boats would be wanting to use it 201.gif

ah again forgive me i didnt realize anglers were able to see into the future and would know that after they set up there gear on the lock landing no boats would be wanting to use it 201.gif

I'm glad I could enlighten you, it was a pleasure :lol:

Paul

Edited by GSer

Paul

The problem is that once an angler has set up on such a landing, he is not going to be in a position to move out of the way in a timely fashion when a boat wants to use the landing.

Hey all

Right I'm an angler and when fishing It really annoys me when you get boaters (90% of the time their those rent-a-boat types) ploughing through swims and/or veering over onto the far bank and/or going to fast.

This happens on a regular basis, whether its a match or im pleasure fishing and really pi$$e$ me off......so I've had an idea, why not create some signs that can be at each end of a canal match asking boaters to drive slowly down the middle or within about 1 meter off the bank where the angler is.

What do you think? Would they help at all? What would be the correct terms or keywords to use?

GE

I've only just seen this thread so this has probably been said already, but it can be very difficult for a boat to stick to the middle of the canal because anglers generally don't lift their rods or poles until the very last minute, and you're often not sure if they've seen you and will react.

Veering towards the angler might be construed as aggressive, especially if they've got smaller rods, landing and keep nets sticking out. Some boaters might be worried about being met with a volley of maggots of groundbait?

Edited by blackrose

The problem is that once an angler has set up on such a landing, he is not going to be in a position to move out of the way in a timely fashion when a boat wants to use the landing.

Why not? Not all anglers are disabled are they? If they know they have to move everytime a boat comes along they would keep their kit to a minimum, i'll admit I fish from lock moorings many times but I doubt any boater has been inconvenienced by my actions, were not talking match style anglers with tons of kit around them but anglers that possibly might want to teach his child how to fish and just wants to set up somewhere safe and convienient. Or an opportunist angler with no more than a pocketfull of bait, sure he will have to move if a boat comes but that is his problem there may be a good chance he will see nobody all day.

On almost longish cruise i've been on I have come across boaters obstructing access to these sort of access areas.

My initial involvement in this thread was intended to try and quell the witch hunt for anglers (again) by pointing out that signs are great as a guide but people should use their brains as well, and also to point out that plenty of boaters break the rules on a regular basis by using their own judgement/morals/innocence as a poor excuse.

It's got the chance to be a nice world if we all share and share alike, everybody but cyclists of course, oh and canoeist etc etc

Paul

Why not? Not all anglers are disabled are they? If they know they have to move everytime a boat comes along they would keep their kit to a minimum, i'll admit I fish from lock moorings many times but I doubt any boater has been inconvenienced by my actions, were not talking match style anglers with tons of kit around them but anglers that possibly might want to teach his child how to fish and just wants to set up somewhere safe and convienient. Or an opportunist angler with no more than a pocketfull of bait, sure he will have to move if a boat comes but that is his problem there may be a good chance he will see nobody all day.

On almost longish cruise i've been on I have come across boaters obstructing access to these sort of access areas.

My initial involvement in this thread was intended to try and quell the witch hunt for anglers (again) by pointing out that signs are great as a guide but people should use their brains as well, and also to point out that plenty of boaters break the rules on a regular basis by using their own judgement/morals/innocence as a poor excuse.

It's got the chance to be a nice world if we all share and share alike, everybody but cyclists of course, oh and canoeist etc etc

Paul

There hasn't been a witch-hunt for anglers.

On the contrary, until the point where you felt obliged to weigh in, slinging mud at boaters for always being in the wrong, this has been a constructive discussion that has proved informative. Yes boaters do crap stuff to other boater. We have threads about it. Why are you determined to deflect this thread into one of those.

The simple fact is that if there is an angler sat on a lock landing, the boater faces a problem.

Does he approach the landing, in the hope that the angler is sat there in the mindset of "if a boater comes I'll move", or does he take the view that if the angler is going to be unco-operative, he should cut his losses, and land elsewhere? In many situations, assuming that the angler will move will mean that by the time the boater is close enough to actually determine the true situation, he will be faced with a difficult bit of reversing off to correct the situation. By and large, the boater will chose to land elsewhere as being less likely to create a difficult situation.

It's just like people who put their bag on the seat on trains, and say "I'll move it if somebody wants to sit there", when what they really mean is "I will move it if asked, but my purpose in putting it there is to discourage people from asking, and I hope that they will simply choose to sit elsewhere"

Felt like it was to me, turning a thread by the original poster (an angler) trying to ask a sensible question of boaters, the post was turning into a 'boats are great anglers are wrong/stupid etc for not reading signs' Long before I started to post.

On the contrary, until the point where you felt obliged to weigh in, slinging mud at boaters for always being in the wrong, this has been a constructive discussion that has proved informative. Yes boaters do crap stuff to other boater. We have threads about it. Why are you determined to deflect this thread into one of those.

See above!

The simple fact is that if there is an angler sat on a lock landing, the boater faces a problem.

Yes, he has to speak to somebody and tell them he's going to use the platform, i have had to do that but there never seems to be any conflict, you might get a grumpy angler bu he will know he's in the wrong and will move if you are polite and informative, I point out that if their keepnet goes around my prop i'll not be the one to rescue it and generally that works,

Does he approach the landing, in the hope that the angler is sat there in the mindset of "if a boater comes I'll move", or does he take the view that if the angler is going to be unco-operative, he should cut his losses, and land elsewhere? In many situations, assuming that the angler will move will mean that by the time the boater is close enough to actually determine the true situation, he will be faced with a difficult bit of reversing off to correct the situation. By and large, the boater will chose to land elsewhere as being less likely to create a difficult situation.

Boaters/drivers/bikers/cyclists have to make decisions all the time, its what makes it all interesting IMO, is it any harder to avoid a badly/inconsideratly moored boat than it is to avoid an angler? If fisherman have to keep shifting their kit they will soon give up, but it the landing is not being used buy boats why should it remain banned to other canal users?

It's just like people who put their bag on the seat on trains, and say "I'll move it if somebody wants to sit there", when what they really mean is "I will move it if asked, but my purpose in putting it there is to discourage people from asking, and I hope that they will simply choose to sit elsewhere"

Yes, that stinks, but has no direct comparison to this thread IMO

Felt like it was to me, turning a thread by the original poster (an angler) trying to ask a sensible question of boaters, the post was turning into a 'boats are great anglers are wrong/stupid etc for not reading signs' Long before I started to post.

Yes, there has been the usual fairly light hearted banter, and some of the usual grumbling, but the discussion has risen over that

See above!

See what above?

Yes, he has to speak to somebody and tell them he's going to use the platform, i have had to do that but there never seems to be any conflict, you might get a grumpy angler bu he will know he's in the wrong and will move if you are polite and informative, I point out that if their keepnet goes around my prop i'll not be the one to rescue it and generally that works,

I am at the back end of a 58 foot narrowboat, with an engine running. How do you propose that I should get close enough to the angler to speak to him, other than by getting so out of position that I'm not going to be able to use the landing anyway?

Boaters/drivers/bikers/cyclists have to make decisions all the time, its what makes it all interesting IMO, is it any harder to avoid a badly/inconsideratly moored boat than it is to avoid an angler? If fisherman have to keep shifting their kit they will soon give up, but it the landing is not being used buy boats why should it remain banned to other canal users?

If a boat is causing an obstruction, I can at least breast up to him.

Yes, that stinks, but has no direct comparison to this thread IMO

On the contrary, it is pretty much the same thing.

Boy i cant wait to get on the cut and cruising :lol: , and then where do i fish :lol:

All that was asked is about a sign.

Been on the canal before and never realy found it hard to moor up to work a lock, if there is a fisher near a lock then moor just before if possible, a lot of folk that fish near locks are as siad folk that teach the kiddies or just fishing light so csn move, not match fisherman, if they are they should know better......shouldnt they.

Just to say to the original poster that i agree again with signs being put up at both ends of matchs but folk dont bother to take notice, well a lot dont.

This is one loosing battle between fishers and boaters :lol:

Wayne :lol:

If you've got a bow thruster you could give each peg a surreptitious "squirt", whilst passing through the match,

With a hydraulic bow thruster of sufficient continuous rating you might be able to "macerate" enough of the fish that nobody catches anything ?

Paul

You really do talk a lot of twadle Paul. I used to manage Angling classes for Young People, through the Bathampton Angling club, and in my experience, there is no way a "newbie angler", angling on BW waters, cannot know the rules.

As far as I am, aware, no BW Canal Water is available for public fishing, all of it being controlled by individual Angling clubs. Those clubs are required as part of their agreement with BW, to make the BW rules known to their members. This used to be done by publishing those rules in the membership handbooks. One of those rules is that no Angler should set up within 15 metres (if I remember correctly) of a moving object. Lock landings are nearly always immediatley adjacent to the lock, which is a moving object, and is therefore out of bounds for angling.

It really is not that difficult, assuming that you can be bothered to read the rules.

Edited by David Schweizer