Canal Matches

Featured Posts

Hey all

Right I'm an angler and when fishing It really annoys me when you get boaters (90% of the time their those rent-a-boat types) ploughing through swims and/or veering over onto the far bank and/or going to fast.

This happens on a regular basis, whether its a match or im pleasure fishing and really pi$$e$ me off......so I've had an idea, why not create some signs that can be at each end of a canal match asking boaters to drive slowly down the middle or within about 1 meter off the bank where the angler is.

What do you think? Would they help at all? What would be the correct terms or keywords to use?

GE

Hey all

Right I'm an angler and when fishing It really annoys me when you get boaters (90% of the time their those rent-a-boat types) ploughing through swims and/or veering over onto the far bank and/or going to fast.

This happens on a regular basis, whether its a match or im pleasure fishing and really pi$$e$ me off......so I've had an idea, why not create some signs that can be at each end of a canal match asking boaters to drive slowly down the middle or within about 1 meter off the bank where the angler is.

What do you think? Would they help at all? What would be the correct terms or keywords to use?

GE

I think it would be a brilliant idea. I think quite a few boaters dont actually know what to do with their boat when passing fishermen. It took me a while to realise it is down the middle. It isn't easy to follow that when another boat is coming the other way, but a sign would certainly tell people what to do.

Well many times it would not be possible to get within a metre of the fishermen because of depth, (or if I managed it I'd expect some serious abuse!).

This whole topic has been discussed at length on the forum, and it struck me that as even the fishermen couldn't come up with a completely consistent statement on how to handle it, it was highly unlikely that the poor boater with zero knowledge of, (or interest in), fishing could end up doing the "right" thing.

Best consensus seemed to be "slowly down the middle", but as I've had fishermen yelling at me to go faster "to wake them up a bit", it seems unlikely that a single standard sign will give advice that pleases most of the fisherpeople most of the time.

Another thought.

If you are having signage made, perhaps you could do some that points out to fishermen that it is virtually impossible to operate a lock safely if people are fishing from the lock landings, or actually in the lock itself. :lol:

Probably no point though, if they are the same ones that fish immediately below high voltage power lines - they can't read the signs there, so would presumably not read any others.

Probably no point though, if they are the same ones that fish immediately below high voltage power lines - they can't read the signs there, so would presumably not read any others.

Smelly bait indeed! You've someway to go before achieving even basic 'fishing' skills :lol:

Hey all

This happens on a regular basis, whether its a match or im pleasure fishing and really pi$e$ me off......so I've had an idea, why not create some signs that can be at each end of a canal match asking boaters to drive slowly down the middle or within about 1 meter off the bank where the angler is.

GE

There are two questions to be answered here;

1. Is what you are asking reasonable
  2. Would signs help

So, probably best to answer the first question first!

Broadly speaking, what you want is fair enough, and it is beyond doubt that there are some boaters who behave badly.

But just as many non-angling boaters have no idea what a "swim" is, I'm sure that you will agree than non-boating anglers may not be aware of just exactly what their wishes can mean for the boater.

When passing anglers, I attempt to do so slowly, and towards the towpath side. The following factors may prevent me from doing exactly as you wish;

• The canal is shallow towards the edge. If I keep too far over towards the towpath, I may run aground, and sorting that out will seriously muddy the waters (literally)
  • If it's a windy day, I may need to keep enough speed on to ensure that I can counteract the wind. If I don't, I may end up drifting onto your keepnet.
  • Boats steer best at their normal cruising revs, and can be steered with little effort. The more I slow down, the more I have to work at it (and the longer, because I'll be in your match for longer). If your match is a long one, it may be asking a bit much to expect boaters to go dead slow all the way.
  • Boats travel on the right hand side of the canal (so two boats approaching each other pass left side to left side). If the towpath is on my left, I may need to keep towards the far bank, in case another boat comes round the bend (because getting over from the wrong side at minimum revs is near impossible)

I should probably add a request that you lift your pole in good time, rather than playing chicken, then discovering that the hook has snagged something, and expecting me to stop instantly. Remember that I can't see the area immediately in front of the boat, so unless you lift well in advance, I don't know how close I am to hitting it/

So, to the question about signs....

I think the key is just asking nicely, rather than ordering. What you want is going to involve the boater in extra effort that isn't going to make his day any better, but will make yours better.

I would suggest that you put the signs up a couple of days before the match, and that they should say;

At the Right hand end of the pegs;

Fishing Match

Bridges 92-93

18th June 08:00-13:00

Please pass slowly in the centre of the channel

At the left hand end of the pegs;

Fishing Match

Bridges 93-92

18th June 08:00-13:00

Please pass slowly on the towpath side of the channel

Saying hello to the boaters always helps too. All to many times, I go the effort of slowing down, and keeping away from the swims, only to spend the next 15 minutes slowly passing a bunch of miserable buggers who won't make eye-contact, and generally give you the idea that you won't bother being nice next time!

Fishing match in progress

Please pass anglers dead slow and down the middle

where possible

That should cover most possibilities however as most boaters can't even agree on what dead slow should be, i won't offer much hope of them taking much notice.

I do like the idea of the notices though and have mentioned this in the past with no real positve reaction from either side.

Boaters, it's worth remembering that one badly driven boat is enough to ruin the day of many many anglers

Anglers, its worth noting that canals were made for boats if you don't like sharing with them, fish your matches away from canals and navigable rivers.

Paul

(once a very very keen match angler)

I have deep draughted boat, and go down the middle at a reasonable speed (about 2MPH). If they don't like it, they should only participate in competitions in deep, or non boating, waters. They are only doing it for the prize money, and will they share any of that with me if I make it easier for them to win?

Most of them won't even look at you let alone return a "good morning" the majority are miserable blighters who probably only started angling to get out of the house, because the wife can't stand their company all weeekend.

I'll get my coat!

Edited by David Schweizer

You know what David, on the whole I agree with you. We went through a fishing match up north somewhere and at different places in the same match was told "down the middle"- "keep over the other side" _ don't slow down too much" "slow down". All the above accompanied with insults, bad language and offer to enhance my sexual life.

Tut tut you nice fishermen. Not.

I always say a good morning etc. and most of the time it is hard work to get a response. I sometimes remind them that without me paying over the odds to maintain his fishing water he wouldn't have any. That usually gets them going.

Tee hee. Can't see the point of fishing anyway.

Can I borrow your coat when you're finnished with it?

Martyn

Thank you everybody for replying.

Ill go and see if I can get some signs made or printed out :lol:

Yes its true, one bad boat can spoil an anglers day.

And yes I do say thank you, wave or say good morning/afternoon/evening to anybody who passes me while fishing - whether I'm in a match or pleasure fishing.

GE

Thank you everybody for replying.

Ill go and see if I can get some signs made or printed out :lol:

Yes its true, one bad boat can spoil an anglers day.

And yes I do say thank you, wave or say good morning/afternoon/evening to anybody who passes me while fishing - whether I'm in a match or pleasure fishing.

GE

This is a good plan, I am sure that most, if not all boaters will cooperate, but we need some consistency and not to obey a sign and proceed slowly down the middle only to be sworn at to speed up/move over.

Hey all

GE

Terrible idea. The last thing we need is yet more bloody "Signage" to clutter the place up with. (Oh, how I loath that word!).

Why not try TALKING to people if you have issues, instead of hiding behind some anonymous sign? I'm sure that most boaters don't deliberately set out to spoil your sport, so explain your problems to them.

I'm sure that most boaters don't deliberately set out to spoil your sport, so explain your problems to them.

I think that what he is trying to do, IME boaters quite like to spout rules and regs but often show very little intention of keeping to them or showing much respect for other users of the canal.

It's seems when challenged "Oh' the boat won't go any slower" or "I never usually overstay" or "Oh i'll tidy up before I move on" another "oh we moor for a week on a 24 hr mooring cos there isn't any room anywhere else because of all the tramp boats around here" or even ' cos' the grass has'nt been cut" etc etc. are boaters seemingly common answers. The rules/accepted good manners of the waterways only ever seem to be for others, unless convieniently it suits them :lol:

We all have to live together on t'cut and a bit of give and take is needed from all sides

Paul

Terrible idea. The last thing we need is yet more bloody "Signage" to clutter the place up with. (Oh, how I loath that word!).

Why not try TALKING to people if you have issues, instead of hiding behind some anonymous sign? I'm sure that most boaters don't deliberately set out to spoil your sport, so explain your problems to them.

Talking to people is great, where it is practical.

However, in the scenario where there is a string of anglers along the towpath, where there is a desire to make a polite request as to how boats should transit the match, do you really think it a practical or sensible solution to have somebody posted at either end of the match for the whole day to engage boaters in conversation?

I would encourage anglers to be realisting in what they ask for, but in return, we must be reasonable about what we expect of them

I have generally managed to maintain good relations with most fishermen since returning to the canals to boat 4 years ago.

I can even largely work around them deciding to ignore the rules, and completely block lock landings, and have so far managed to avoid an argument even with those who have completely blockaded the only area where you can safely get off the boat.

I even manage to extract a smile or "hello" from up to 50% of those fishing, (although avoiding any sort of eye contact seems to be a major part of the training of the more serious ones!).

The major problem though can be match fishermen some of whom take the whole thing so damned seriously that they appear to think all boat traffic should be halted for the day.

In a single day last year, but at two different matches, we had far more abuse heaped on us by two match fisherman than I have received from all other sources in 4 years of intensive boating.

Both were being completely ridiculous, (in my view).

The first appeared to be playing brinksmanship with his "pole", (as most do!), but when it became apparent he was not going to retract it, I gave a quick toot on the horn, only to be submitted to a tirade of abuse that I was deliberately plotting to wreck his equipment. (£3000 apparently :lol:). The "dear man" suggested I needed to blow my horn well in advance of arriving at each and angler - something I can't see being too warmly received by most of those fishing, (who did have the wit to consider that being a busy canal, a boat might come along....)

Later in the day when we tried to stop for provisions in the only sensible mooring place near a supermarket, we got literally 30 minutes of none stop swearing that I was a f***ing c**t who had nothing better to do with my day, than to ruin somebody else's.

So if I appear a bit less tolerant of match fishermen than I used to, there is a reason.

It's worth saying that on both occasions no other fisherman wished to ally themselves to the "complainer", and that as we went past the first, we were greeted by another one who said, "Alright mate ? - There's always one, isn't there!". It was encouraging that we were effectively receiving support from other anglers.

If signs were displayed, I would attempt to do what they asked, but if wind, depth or other boats made it hard, I would still put safe boating first, and not disturbing the fish second.

If I sounded intolerant before, it was not my intention - most anglers are fine, just that a few "wrong 'uns" can give the majority a bad name, (as in anything, I suppose).

Alan

I have never fished. I'm not so opposed to it that I think it should be banned, but I do think that fishing without eating the poor blighters afterwards is a wee bit strange.

That said, until reading this post I had NO IDEA how best to pass anglers. I assumed I should stay as far away from the person as possible - apparently I have inadvertently been buggering up their day, thinking I was helpling!

I have never had a single angler give me any helpful advice or abuse, so have been carrying on with my assumptions. (Making an ass out of you and mption...)

It would have been useful to have a little bit of advice. I find it hard to hear people even when they talk to me from a passing boat - an angler would have to fairly bellow for me to hear, so a sign would be preferable for me. I would follow signs where safe and possible to do so.

I think ultimately communication is the best way to solve the "problems".

Signs are a good way of communicating to boaters what the fishermen would like them to do, but we also need to ensure that the fishermen are also aware of what the boaters are being asked to do!

The fishermen also need to be aware of the exceptions where boats are not able to accommodate their requests - like when it's windy and when boats need to pass.

Likewise, fishermen need to start paying attention to requests from boaters as to where to fish (signs already provided in many places) - like lock landings etc. I know a match wouldn't put anyone pegs there - but fishermen need to be reminded.

There also needs to be guidelines as to when to withdraw poles/rods when a boat approaches.

There will always be those that flout these requests (on both sides) but communication and understanding is a good starting point.

Maybe a leaflet with a set of guidelines could be issued with the rod license?

Talking to people is great, where it is practical.

do you really think it a practical or sensible solution to have somebody posted at either end of the match for the whole day to engage boaters in conversation?

Now that really is an inspired idea that might actually achieve something! Everybody ignores notices - it's difficult to ignore someone who is talking to you.

I think ultimately communication is the best way to solve the "problems".

I agree!

Signs are a good way of communicating

I totally disagree!

It seems I'm in a minority of one here, so having had my say I'll slink away with my tail between my legs..... :lol:

Now that really is an inspired idea that might actually achieve something! Everybody ignores notices - it's difficult to ignore someone who is talking to you.

So, there are two options;

• A polite sign, asking boaters to slow down and keep out of the swim. Those who already knew aren't inconvenienced by it, whilst those that weren't aware are better informed, and can possibly exchange conversation with one of the anglers about how they are now better informed.
  • Somebody attempting to have a detailed conversation with me, which I will find it difficult to hear over the engine, probably meaning that I have to move over towards the towpath and come out of gear so that I can hear what is being said. Then after all that, I find that he wishes to tell me something that I already knew.

And you think it better that we all have to put up with the second option at each match?

So, there are two options;

• A polite sign, asking boaters to slow down and keep out of the swim. Those who already knew aren't inconvenienced by it, whilst those that weren't aware are better informed, and can possibly exchange conversation with one of the anglers about how they are now better informed.
  • Somebody attempting to have a detailed conversation with me, which I will find it difficult to hear over the engine, probably meaning that I have to move over towards the towpath and come out of gear so that I can hear what is being said. Then after all that, I find that he wishes to tell me something that I already knew.

And you think it better that we all have to put up with the second option at each match?

Better than littering more of the country with unwanted and ignored signs