Sarcasm and the great boat hunt

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

My comment re. altruism has ben totally misunderstood. No criticism was intended of the boat owners but I am always suspicious of insurance companies as they will slip out of their responsibilities if they possibly can, they never act altruistically!. I think that my question is totally legitimate because whether it is insured or not idicates courses of action both for the owner and those kind souls involved in the search as well as the reaction of the police. It is likely that they would be less assiduous if they thought that the owners were less than responsible with their property. Wrong I know but that is wht would happen in reality. Also suppose that there is something wrong with all this - how do we all react when it happens again or come to that how have we reacted to the poor people and the stolen boat on the L&L.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

My comment re. altruism has ben totally misunderstood. No criticism was intended of the boat owners but I am always suspicious of insurance companies as they will slip out of their responsibilities if they possibly can, they never act altruistically!. I think that my question is totally legitimate because whether it is insured or not idicates courses of action both for the owner and those kind souls involved in the search as well as the reaction of the police. It is likely that they would be less assiduous if they thought that the owners were less than responsible with their property. Wrong I know but that is wht would happen in reality. Also suppose that there is something wrong with all this - how do we all react when it happens again or come to that how have we reacted to the poor people and the stolen boat on the L&L.

Bear, are you OK?

:

Thanks Bottle, brains will out as always, that is the trouble with broadbeam qwners - no brains.

:lol: What a cutting remark to make about broad beam owners, whats wrong with owning a boat u cant go boating in ? :lol:

Watever you are smoking, pass it around buddy :lol:

Thanks Bottle, brains will out as always, that is the trouble with broadbeam qwners - no brains.

Having had no internet connection since posting last night, I have been unable to respond to references to my comments following one of your posts. I sincerely hope that your broadbeam-no brains comment is not aimed at me as a broad beam owner, particularly as my comments were not directed at you per-se but at the type of comment and observation that you and others had been making re QSS. Neither did I, or would I make a personal attack on you!

I don't consider that any judgement on the owners without their ability to reply and without access to confirmed information is an intelligent way to go. We may all have our thoughts on the situation, but speculation, though fascinating, is unhelpful and potentially libellous for Jon hosting this forum.

If you had your car stolen while out boating and asked if anyone on the forum had seen anything, I would be equally outraged if questions and discussion started about whether you were insured, whether the car had tax or MOT etc or whether you were attempting a scam.

Roger

I've got a broad beam boat.

pic002.jpg

I'll race you to Holland!

Thats not a broad beamed boat, its a REAL boat :lol:

Roger

Having had no internet connection since posting last night, I have been unable to respond to references to my comments following one of your posts. I sincerely hope that your broadbeam-no brains comment is not aimed at me as a broad beam owner, particularly as my comments were not directed at you per-se but at the type of comment and observation that you and others had been making re QSS. Neither did I, or would I make a personal attack on you!

I don't consider that any judgement on the owners without their ability to reply and without access to confirmed information is an intelligent way to go. We may all have our thoughts on the situation, but speculation, though fascinating, is unhelpful and potentially libellous for Jon hosting this forum.

If you had your car stolen while out boating and asked if anyone on the forum had seen anything, I would be equally outraged if questions and discussion started about whether you were insured, whether the car had tax or MOT etc or whether you were attempting a scam.

Roger

Having read through the whole contribution to the now closed thread, I think your late addition was extraordinarily pompous, dismissive, pandering to popular taste and bore all the hallmarks of a man who inhabits the depths of his own backside.

People are right to discern the contradictions of the QSS business. Thjey are perfectly entitled to conclude that the whole matter is very dubious. Reading trough the whole topic, the doubters are right to question. People like you are just creeps, looking for the majority vote rather than the truth.

But if that happened and I asked here for help, and I wouldn't say what the registration number was because it wouldn't help, and gave several differing versions of where I left it and and why I left it there and how it came to go missing, and then gave conflicting reports about where and when it had been seen; then I would not be surprised or outraged to see such questions and discussions until I had cleared up all the misunderstandings.

Having read through the whole contribution to the now closed thread, I think your late addition was extraordinarily pompous, dismissive, pandering to popular taste and bore all the hallmarks of a man who inhabits the depths of his own backside.

People are right to discern the contradictions of the QSS business. Thjey are perfectly entitled to conclude that the whole matter is very dubious. Reading trough the whole topic, the doubters are right to question. People like you are just creeps, looking for the majority vote rather than the truth.

Whilst Roger often makes intelligent and well thought out posts on other subjects, I have made it clear I don't agree with his views on this one.

However it's an open forum, where people are allowed to express their views, as long as they don't breach guidelines.

I hope I am able to tell Roger I don't agree with him, without resorting to slagging him off.

As you appear to have joined today, and this is your first post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but suggest strongly that you take a less aggressive stance on future ones, and don't just rip into long established members who are all entitled to put forward their point of view.

But if that happened and I asked here for help, and I wouldn't say what the registration number was because it wouldn't help, and gave several differing versions of where I left it and and why I left it there and how it came to go missing, and then gave conflicting reports about where and when it had been seen; then I would not be surprised or outraged to see such questions and discussions until I had cleared up all the misunderstandings.

Exactly, Allan.

I could not have put it better.

This totally reflects my view of the situation.

Whilst Roger often makes intelligent and well thought out posts on other subjects, I have made it clear I don't agree with his views on this one.

However it's an open forum, where people are allowed to express their views, as long as they don't breach guidelines.

I hope I am able to tell Roger I don't agree with him, without resorting to slagging him off.

As you appear to have joined today, and this is your first post, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but suggest strongly that you take a less aggressive stance on future ones, and don't just rip into long established members who are all entitled to put forward their point of view.

Exactly, Allan.

I could not have put it better.

This totally reflects my view of the situation.

point taken, but it is sickeningly creepy. let’s feel sorry for these people who have maybee illegally hired out their boat to some unidentifiable bunch of thieves, no ID , no names, no checks upon the hirers, oh, here’s a sighting by our friend at Alrewas, oh no sorry, it wasn’t a sighting, oh god my dad’s ill, xxx, your all luverly people for falling for this horseshit, oh good that bird who writes for Canalworld is on our side and now the man who cant understand why he is not as widely acclaimed as eric clapton is on the sympathy bandwagon too. yeeurch!!! sorry my takeaway just parted company with my body.

point taken, but it is sickeningly creepy. let’s feel sorry for these people who have maybee illegally hired out their boat to some unidentifiable bunch of thieves, no ID , no names, no checks upon the hirers, oh, here’s a sighting by our friend at Alrewas, oh no sorry, it wasn’t a sighting, oh god my dad’s ill, xxx, your all luverly people for falling for this horseshit, oh good that bird who writes for Canalworld is on our side and now the man who cant understand why he is not as widely acclaimed as eric clapton is on the sympathy bandwagon too. yeeurch!!! sorry my takeaway just parted company with my body.

:lol:

Well you clearly have your strongly held opinions too!

Roger is entitled to express his, and is certainly not alone - this issue has polarised the forum, as you have seen, with some very forthright views on most different sides of the argument.

My personal belief, FWIW, is that if you back off to the position Roger and many others are advocating, of either not asking questions, or accepting that most questions asked will not be answered, then I think the chances the boat will be found after all this time are slender.

Just saying to people "keep an eye out for this boat, which may or may not look like the pictures, and which has been missing close on a month" is highly unlikely to yield a result now, I believe.

We are on our travels for 2 weeks tomorrow, and I'll be looking. I'll be very surprised if I see it, (in a recognisable form), though........

My personal belief, FWIW, is that if you back off to the position Roger and many others are advocating, of either not asking questions, or accepting that most questions asked will not be answered, then I think the chances the boat will be found after all this time are slender.

At least the queries, sarky remarks and come-backs kept the topic at the top of the "new mails" list. Otherwise it would have dropped off for lack of information, and most people would have forgotten about a missing boat (allegedly)

Edited by Tam & Di

I have read the entire post of this thread (QSS all threads), in fact I have been each day catching up on the latest news.

My first thought when this news broke that the community of boaters would get together and find this boat in days.

I think there are unanswered questions regarding the viability of the hire and the precautions taken by the owners in that process as well as the misleading info given early on BUT is not the overriding thing here to find the boat and return it to the owner? I would assume that when found at that time maybe all the truth would come out about who did what and how and when.

In the meantime this forum which is a superb information exchange, surely should be used as that to find the boat?

I have seen mention that people are losing interest in the "hunt", I can understand that after reading this thread! Yes there seems to be misinformation and yes there are inconsistencies but is it not possible to pull together and judge later?

I boated for a couple of days in this period and was a bit more interested at looking at cruiser stern narrowboats (at one time going aground while comparing portholes to the printout I had!), this boat could be anywhere, I am sure it will turn up sometime in one form or another, in the meantime lets act as one and find it or it maybe seen as an easy money gig in the future.

Probably gonna get lots of nasty emails now!! :lol:

Edited by Nordhavn