Whats going on here?

nipper

Featured Posts

I've just been using Google earth and exploring around the Hebden Bridge area and I've come accross this pic?

Is someone in trouble?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl=e...001092&z=19

Hope this link works? but if not, no doubt someone will advise me!

Nipper

I've just been using Google earth and exploring around the Hebden Bridge area and I've come accross this pic?

Is someone in trouble?

Nipper

At first glance, it looks like a cilling, but the wrong end is up!

I suspect that the sattelite takes images bit by bit, and the boat descended the lock as its picture was taken.

1. It's not a satelite image. It's a flyby photo.

2. It just looks like a narrowboat diagonal in a wide lock to me.

Gibbo

The sun is at a low angle which might be making the lock appear to be different dimensions to what it actually is, but I dont think that the boat looks to be at too much of an angle off horizontal...

Nick

Is someone in trouble?

Nipper

It's Lobb Mill lock east of Todmorden, and there's a boat diagonally across it, with the lock about to fill, I think, although I find it difficult to see which is the pointy end. I can see why it may appear to be hung up, but I think it's just a result of the angle of the image and light. Doesn't look like a satellite image at that magnification, but you can still zoom out to a wide area like normal satellite images.

Mac

From the shadows*, the water is level in the lock because the walls are throwing a regular pattern on the water, and so is the boat, albeit at a lateral angle itself. This happened to me all the time single handing in broad locks. You can't hold her to the wall and operate a paddle at the same time, so you just go easy and let her slosh about. Usually drifting completely to the far side under the laws of sod. Must agree with Carl, though, my centre line wasn't coiled on the roof when I did this.

*and it proves they're not on the moon, either.

Oops > Take a look at the Barbridge bump. ( dont know how to create the google map link >> Just Google Map 'Barbridge' and zoom in on the junction )

Yes what are they doing there?

It is not what you would call a tight corner, perhaps as the sun looks low they were blinded by this and did not see it was a junction?

Or got so bored going past all of the moored boats, on tickover of course, that they forgot to turn.