Death on T & M

pagan witch

Featured Posts

Stop winding Phylis up and get back to ladders.

As a fully paid up fat slob, there is no way I'd get out of the water without assistance if I fell in. I do have a rigid alloy ladder that folds longitudinally with hooks on the top and if I'm on board alone I always dangle this off the back. It doesn't take up much room and might save my life oneday. I haven't fallen in since I was a fit young man, but the day will come no doubt.

:lol: Talking about ladders dont u think we should have them recessed into the side of all narrowboats after all there is so much room, we could say have one either side at either end and one either side in the middle bit............... :lol:

It was not too difficult when you can kneel down on the edge of the baths and grip the victim under the armpits. That is not possible in real life.

A good heads-up about the need to fix a proper ladder to the boat. To be of any use it should always be in place, including when the boat is moving, and should extend at least 18" below the water level. Any ideas anyone?

I have a boarding ladder that hooks over the gunwhale and one occasion that I fell in (icy quayheading) I was able to climb aboard without too much trouble depite being clothed for January, it only cost me about £25

Phil

:lol: Talking about ladders dont u think we should have them recessed into the side of all narrowboats after all there is so much room, we could say have one either side at either end and one either side in the middle bit............... :lol:

If I didn't know and better, I would think that you are trying to upset some people.

I think we would be better off if we incorporated a swimming platform at the stern. Some where to put the jet ski perhaps?

:lol:

If I didn't know and better, I would think that you are trying to upset some people.

I think we would be better off if we incorporated a swimming platform at the stern. Some where to put the jet ski perhaps?

Would be interested to see the outcome of that one.

Saw a narrowboat with a rear platform with a tree growing on it.

Sue

this was a very sad event,his boat has been bought into the marina where we are moored,hearsay has it that vandals broke into the poor mans boat the day after hos tragic death and ransacked it,they should bring the birch back,they would think twice before touching other peoples treasures,

my neice has her nb down in devises at wiltshire,and she told me that there has been four tragic incidents where boaters have slipped or tripped in the snow ,fell into the canal and died,we cant underestimate the importance of wearing non slip boots/shoes,dont we al think we are invincible untio a tragedy happens,so please please please wear the correct footwear and treat ice and snow with trepidation,if one person reads this then i will feel i have done one small thing to save someones life,take care and keep warm,regards Marlene and Bill,willington derbyshire

my neice has her nb down in devises at wiltshire,and she told me that there has been four tragic incidents where boaters have slipped or tripped in the snow ,fell into the canal and died.................

Whilst not wishing to minimise the risks of going in in these conditions, that sounds a pretty remarkable statistic.

Just in the Devizes area, and all in this cold snap ?

I'm surprised none of these deaths has been widely published, if true. It's very rarely that a waterways death occurs, and doesn't get to be known of by the wider boating community. Four would surely be headline news ?

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a boater; I live on the Green and regularly run up and down the canal. I just wanted to give my condolences to those who knew Desmond better than I. It’s very sad and a great shame I always thought he was an interesting character to say the least! I’m not familiar with your mooring rules etc. so have no opinion. I do though care about property being vandalised, boat, house or car. I suppose for those who live aboard this is more of a worry and I hope that by supporting each other we can prevent this and catch those responsible. I moved to Willington for the picturesque view of the canal and enjoy the variety of boats. I hope this won’t put any boaters off visiting the village.

• 1 month later...
An extremely sad and distressing item of news . . . .

On the 'This is Derbyshire' web site today (3rd Feb 2009) there is an item on a "63 year old man who lived on a narrowboat at Willington and today fell into the canal". Passers by pulled him out of the water but he had died.

A gas bottle was nearby the boat, the implication being that he'd been trying to change a gas bottle and fallen in.

How easy it is for our 'safe' way of life to take such a sudden and tragic turn.

Thats so sad, since being on our marina and thats only 3 months there have been 2 fall ins, one in jan when the gentleman involved couldn't get out with the weight of his heavy waterlogged clothes and was calling out for nearly 20 mins in the dark thinking he was going to die. Another slipped getting on the boat and banged his head on the way in he was older and has spent quite a long time in hospital, hopefully he will get well soon and return to his boat.

Our marina was a nightmare in the bad weather - they were supposed to come and pressure wash the decking - it was already really slippy, then the contractors didn't come because of the snow. It was a death trap. I had to really limit what I did outside - fortunately we had enough spare cassettes in order to be able to wait until the ice had gone before I emptied them.

Last winter I arrived just after a gent who lives on his boat had climbed out after falling in through the ice. The guy is 75 years old, has had a number of heart ops, is on a mass of pills but is very independent with car etc. I told him to get in and get warm but he was not interested. He stormed into the boat, got his keys, came out and locked the door then headed for his car. His only desire was to get the 10 miles to town where the sim card in his phone could be checked as he was concerned that emersion in the water might have affected it! He later told me it hadn't!

when the gentleman involved couldn't get out with the weight of his heavy waterlogged clothes and was calling out for nearly 20 mins in the dark thinking he was going to die.

Best advice... take your coat off!

• 1 month later...