Death on T & M

pagan witch

Featured Posts

Funnily enough I was defending you, a few posts back.

I've certainly had some vigorous debates, before and after my boat was destroyed and I expect no quarter, or sympathy, just because a bad thing happened to me.

Anybody who is upset by my posts, or yours, for that matter, needs to reassess what an internet forum is for.

It is entertainment and if it is upsetting, reading strong opinions, then it is not for you.

I find your posts entertaining, Phylis, and despite our differences of opinion, welcome you to the forum. If I stop finding your contributions entertaining, I will stop reading them. I won't be discussing anyone by PM, though.

I have never found it necessary to tittle tattle, by PM, behind anyone's back. That is pretty pathetic.

You see i tried to settle our differences behind closed doors as it was however you put a ban on that. So lets air our differences in public.

You see i tried to settle our differences behind closed doors as it was however you put a ban on that. So lets air our differences in public.

I block anyone who sends derogatory pms. If they want to insult me they are welcome to do it in public.

I thought my post was conciliatory, Phylis. I, like mrsmelly, give in.

See we have it the other way. Most narrowboat owners where we are keep well out of our way as they dont want to explain to their insurance company why the demolished a cruiser in open water. Plus they know full well they are the minority and the GRP community keep an eye and ear open for each other.

Thought your supposed to get older and wiser, or does that not go for boaters.

Life isnt for taking seriously. You only get one crack at it have as much fun with it as you can. :lol:

The less movable boat (which is usually the largest boat) has the right of way on open waters. Remember those narrowboats and barges don't handle too well on open choppy water where a GRP boat would. Insurance company would likely side with the less movable boat.

The less movable boat (which is usually the largest boat) has the right of way on open waters. Remember those narrowboats and barges don't handle too well on open choppy water where a GRP boat would. Insurance company would likely side with the less movable boat.

A large GRP cruiser isnt exactly easy to stop when on the move. They dont have brakes.

Larger draft needs more water would be the argument on that score.

A large GRP cruiser isnt exactly easy to stop when on the move. They dont have brakes.

Larger draft needs more water would be the argument on that score.

I did say less moveable boat, what it's designed of doesn't matter.

Flat bottom boats that are designed for canals and rivers won't handle as well on open waters.

Edited by Robbo

I wasn't aware of any type of boat that has brakes.

Most boats however have a thing called reverse, that has a the effect of slowing you down a bit.

Given that you drive a fiberglass dingy with 170bhp, and I drive a 15ton boat with 13bhp, I would expect you to be able to stop on a sixpence, while from full chat it takes me a little while, even with hard reverse. Maybe it is another feature of your boats design that makes it totally unsuitable for inland use if you cannot stop effectively.

Put bluntly, I would expect a fiberglass owner to get out of the way of a narrow boat, given that narrow boats are harder to control on open water, lower powered, and hence less able to move out of the way. This is especially true in conditions of high wind, as it can be very hard work if you end up with a narrowboat with the wind in the wrong place.

On UK inland waterways, I would imagine that narrowboats are 1) the majority of boats, and 2) used for the vast majority of boat hours, given that most GRP boats are summer playthings, while a lot of narrowboats are used all year round.

Most boats however have a thing called reverse, that has a the effect of slowing you down a bit.

Given that you drive a fiberglass dingy with 170bhp, and I drive a 15ton boat with 13bhp, I would expect you to be able to stop on a sixpence, while from full chat it takes me a little while, even with hard reverse. Maybe it is another feature of your boats design that makes it totally unsuitable for inland use if you cannot stop effectively.

Put bluntly, I would expect a fiberglass owner to get out of the way of a narrow boat, given that narrow boats are harder to control on open water, lower powered, and hence less able to move out of the way. This is especially true in conditions of high wind, as it can be very hard work if you end up with a narrowboat with the wind in the wrong place.

On UK inland waterways, I would imagine that narrowboats are 1) the majority of boats, and 2) used for the vast majority of boat hours, given that most GRP boats are summer playthings, while a lot of narrowboats are used all year round.

Oh i can stop mine fine just not instantly. Dont fancy paying for a new gearbox when 170hp destroy the reverse gear. If my vessel is useless because it cant stop what is yours? You openly admit it wont stop so why use it? Does that mean it is unsuitable?

I think you may need to look at your figures on boats and boat hours as well. Narrow canals are not the only inland waterways in the UK. There is a huge array of waterways and many are more suited to wider boats with engines capable of moving the vessel.

Given that most waterways if not all have a channel of deeper water, deeper drafted boats will require the deeper water. Therefore i would expect that narrowboats with their very shallow draft will take to the shallower water and give the deeper drafted boats the extra depth they need. This goes for any boat. If we come across working barges we give way and give them extra water by the same token it is expected that narrowboats will give way to cruisers with deeper drafts.

All boats can take the wind wrong that isnt just a narrowboat anomoly.

Not all GRP boats are laid up in the winter. In fact i would say that most are not.

The less movable boat (which is usually the largest boat) has the right of way on open waters.

No. Read the Collision Regulations. In a few places small craft, less than 20m, are obliged not to impede larger craft, but Col Regs still apply. In addition there are some specifics applying to fishing vessels and minesweepers etc.

Edited by colin stone

I have never found it necessary to tittle tattle, by PM, behind anyone's back. That is pretty pathetic.

So it's not just me that's received petty abusive PMs from our entertaining Mr Phylis then.

It's the shape of the hull and type of drivetrain that makes most of the difference on how a boat is less or more moveable as well as size.

A small GRP boat tends to have a external engine and a hull that makes it handle better in water.

A large GRP boat tend to have twin props, one going in the opposite direction and a hull, etc.

Basically GRP boats are designed to be on open water, where a canal/river boat isn't. If I was in a GRP boat I would stay clear of the canal boat!

So it's not just me that's received petty abusive PMs from our entertaining Mr Phylis then.

Theres nothing petty and abusive about asking what your problem is. However as you didnt want to share it with me maybe you can share it with us all.

And can we get it right please its Ms not Mr.

Actually I haven't. I blocked Phylis because she suggested that she would pm me and I said I preferred any exchanges to be in open forum and, to be fair, she is happy to speak her mind, in public.

I was referring to the people that pm each other, talking about how "horrible" someone is.

Petty, cowardly tittle tattle that should have died out in the primary schoolyard.

No. Read the Collision Regulations. In a few places small craft, less than 20m, are obliged not to impede larger craft, but Col Regs still apply. In addition there are some specifics applying to fishing vessels and minesweepers etc.

I was looking for that Collision Reg's but couldn't find it on waterscape. Basically I remembered it as biggest (or more less movable) wins! I recall inland regs are slightly different with rivers and such.

Oh i can stop mine fine just not instantly. Dont fancy paying for a new gearbox when 170hp destroy the reverse gear. If my vessel is useless because it cant stop what is yours? You openly admit it wont stop so why use it? Does that mean it is unsuitable?

I'm sorry, but the fact that your boat has got a 170 hp engine in it, would indicate to me that (at the very least) it is a semi planing hull design. Can be used on inland waterways, but fundamentally designed for near-shore/estuary use.

Certainly not canal use.

The clue is in the forum's name - "Canal World Discussion Forum". Canals - generally Narrowboats, some wide beams and, still, a good smattering of GRP cruisers (but with sensibly sized engines - up to 25 - 30 hp).

It's the shape of the hull and type of drivetrain that makes most of the difference on how a boat is less or more moveable as well as size.

A small GRP boat tends to have a external engine and a hull that makes it handle better in water.

A large GRP boat tend to have twin props, one going in the opposite direction and a hull, etc.

Basically GRP boats are designed to be on open water, where a canal/river boat isn't. If I was in a GRP boat I would stay clear of the canal boat!

Even if that means running aground and damaging thousands of pounds worth of drive gear.

Most large GRP boats i know have twin outdrives both pointing in the same direction.

The clue is in the forum's name - "Canal World Discussion Forum". Canals - generally Narrowboats, some wide beams and, still, a good smattering of GRP cruisers (but with sensibly sized engines - up to 25 - 30 hp).

Possibly in the south but the Northern canals have boats with engines that would make Phylis' (and mine) look like lawnmower motors.

I'm sorry, but the fact that your boat has got a 170 hp engine in it, would indicate to me that (at the very least) it is a semi planing hull design. Can be used on inland waterways, but fundamentally designed for near-shore/estuary use.

Certainly not canal use.

It is a planing hull well done you have obviously been keeping up with us.

The good smattering of GRP cruisers you refer to are a minority. Most are given the capability of getting off muddy ditches and going a little quicker than 4mph. Good heavens you lot would get a nose bleed at speeds obver 5mph.

Given that the majority of our use is river use with the odd jaunt on a canal should we need to, wheres the issue.

Most large GRP boats i know have twin outdrives both pointing in the same direction.

This is where your basic lack of understanding lets you down.

The satement made was, "A large GRP boat tend to have twin props, one going in the opposite direction and a hull, etc."

If you have twin props, they will rotate in a different direction. One clockwise, one anticlockwise.

Oh dear! Are you saying my little Kelvin is not a sensibly sized engine?