Death on T & M

pagan witch

Featured Posts

Nuneaton used to run a total loss system when I joined the Narrow Boat Trust. I fitted the Coca-Cola tin system.

I've just finished stripping a later version of the engine in my pic, installed in a fishing boat only 10 years ago. It was quite clear from the pipework that the leakoff was run straight into the bilges :lol:

Likewise when we bought the Humber Keel 'Beecliffe', with a 1960s engine installation (by BW themselves). I added a milk bottle, with hindsight a coca cola tin might have been safer, but I don't like the stuff :lol:

Tim

I was looking for that Collision Reg's but couldn't find it on waterscape. Basically I remembered it as biggest (or more less movable) wins! I recall inland regs are slightly different with rivers and such.

That's just in Narrow Channels.

Is it not just safer to fix the leaks and stop them leaking?

If you are referring to traditional in-line fuel injection pumps, they are designed this way.

They do not 'leak' but 'overflow' and the excess fuel can then be returned to fuel tank. The original design was developed by Bosch in Germany during the late 1920s and these pumps made compression ignition engines practical and reliable, arguably, for the first time. When war broke out in 1939, Bosch fuel pump were manufactured in the United Kingdom by C.A.V and all pre-war licensing and patent restrictions were ignored. C.A.V continued to develop them after the war and, despite the development of rotary pumps, in-line pumps remain in production.

Is it not just safer to fix the leaks and stop them leaking?

The purpose of the 'leak off' is to lubricate the injectors. Without it they would seize up in no time. The injector sleeves and plungers are oiled by the same fuel they inject. The fuel that does the lubing is then collected up and piped back to the tank for reuse.

Some historic diesel engines have a system where the leak off fuel is run into a catch pot that is then manually returned to the tank on a daily basis.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Are you blonde too Phyllis.... :lol:

LoL, ay, the leak off ports connect to the spill rail..... I can forgive Phillis for getting her knickers in a twist. :lol:

Have to step up for Phyllis here, it doesn't matter of her gender or hair colour if she doesn't know or care anything regarding engines, 99% of car users don't, and I'm guessing 70% who own narrowboats don't.

What is important is that she's aware of the ability (or lack of) of her boat and the boats around her.

Every diesel engine has them, won't work without. Even 170HP Volvos.

Yes but mine dont leak all over the bloody floor.

The engine bay is spotless. Trust me i had to clean it after the raw water incident and the coolant incident. Not a drop of diesel or oil in the thing.

Have to step up for Phyllis here, it doesn't matter of her gender or hair colour if she doesn't know or care anything regarding engines, 99% of car users don't, and I'm guessing 70% who own narrowboats don't.

What is important is that she's aware of the ability (or lack of) of her boat and the boats around her.

Who says i dont care about my engines or know anything about them. I have two old fords, you have to be pretty handy to get them running right. We do all our own servicing and mechanical work on all the vehicles and plan to do the same on the boat. Must admitt im not up on my diesel engines but im willing to learn and am doing everytime we come across a problem.

come on guys, you gotta admit, for one so young and so fair Rachael (Phylis?) is very experienced, very knowledgeable and competent in all matters that have been raised.

as we often say about our adolescent children - isn't it a shame that when they're 18 they know everything, and then as they get older they know less and less, until the age at which they have teenage kids of their own, in their childrens' eyes they know absolutely nowt.

Yes but mine dont leak all over the bloody floor.

Nor do mine, excess fuel is collected in a suitable receptacle and the engineroom floor bilges are usually clean - if not, spotless.

I am just intrigued, though, as to why you have blood on the floor?

Do your engines leak blood?

Nor do mine, excess fuel is collected in a suitable receptacle and the engineroom floor bilges are usually clean - if not, spotless.

I am just intrigued, though, as to why you have blood on the floor?

Do your engines leak blood?

No but they do bleed us dry.

I take it you lot can remember being young and wanting to enjoy yourselves or have you all got so old you cant remember anything?

Where any of you ever adventerous?

I take it you lot can remember being young and wanting to enjoy yourselves or have you all got so old you cant remember anything?

I lived in a tree for about 14 months, AND I can abseil upside down, does that count?

Possibly, although that could count as madness instead.

No, madness was firebreathing while suspended 40 foot above a field at Glastonbury in '95! We were somewhat inebriated and thought it was a good idea. Turned out it was!

But these days pottering about living on the boat is enough adventure. I cut my climbing line for mooring lines when we bought Sudan in a kind of sacrifice that the old days were over.

Not really

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/OP_Scot/OPSCOT1.html

...anyroad... the WWWW has turned me into a reformed character :lol:

Who says i dont care about my engines or know anything about them. I have two old fords, you have to be pretty handy to get them running right. We do all our own servicing and mechanical work on all the vehicles and plan to do the same on the boat. Must admitt im not up on my diesel engines but im willing to learn and am doing everytime we come across a problem.

Don't be too quick too bite, my point was that you didn't ask a stupid question but people reacted like you did and then threw personal insults at you.

Stop winding Phylis up and get back to ladders.

As a fully paid up fat slob, there is no way I'd get out of the water without assistance if I fell in. I do have a rigid alloy ladder that folds longitudinally with hooks on the top and if I'm on board alone I always dangle this off the back. It doesn't take up much room and might save my life oneday. I haven't fallen in since I was a fit young man, but the day will come no doubt.