Death on T & M

pagan witch

Featured Posts

This is where your basic lack of understanding lets you down.

The satement made was, "A large GRP boat tend to have twin props, one going in the opposite direction and a hull, etc."

If you have twin props, they will rotate in a different direction. One clockwise, one anticlockwise.

No No, Twin duo props, ie two lots of two.

We have duo props on our boat, one lot of.

Larger boats have two sets of props, two sets of two.

Although i should add not all boats have the duo prop system some have a single prop per engine.

My understanding of the outdrive system we have is sound enough thank you.

If you have twin props, they will rotate in a different direction. One clockwise, one anticlockwise.

Or is that a food mixer ?........................

When I next see my brother, I must tell him how seriously underpowered his boat must have been.

There are pictures of him passing under Tower Bridge with over 140 feet of narrow boat, pushed along by his pathetic 20HP Petter PD2.

A miracle he made it back alive, it seems.......

Possibly in the south but the Northern canals have boats with engines that would make Phylis' (and mine) look like lawnmower motors.

Oh dear. I was thinking of going up to do the BCN this summer (that's North isn't it :lol: ). Will I need a bigger engine :lol:

Oh dear! Are you saying my little Kelvin is not a sensibly sized engine?

This is a sensibly sized Kelvin, often used in inland waterway craft:-

T8-1.jpg

:lol:

Tim

Possibly in the south but the Northern canals have boats with engines that would make Phylis' (and mine) look like lawnmower motors.

See above

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Even if that means running aground and damaging thousands of pounds worth of drive gear.

Most large GRP boats i know have twin outdrives both pointing in the same direction.

Er, I said prop. If one prop turns in the opposite direction to the other the boat will handle better as it can keep a straighter line, be able to control the speed of the different props, etc. I'm guessing most twin prop boats would do this?

And any boat that has outdrives can out maneuver a fixed single prop boat.

Staying clear of canal/river boats doesn't mean slamming it into reverse, it just means don't go in the path of the boat so they have to take action to move around you, as they may not be able too! (This would be your fault, as they hit you due to your actions.).

Absolutely :lol:

It's much to tall. How can you dry your oilskins over it?

You need a little JP3 :lol:

You sould try re-wirng the batteries and distribution boards while it stands there determined to do everything possible to prevent me from standing anything like upright or even anywhere near close enough to where I am trying to work . . .

No No, Twin duo props, ie two lots of two.

We have duo props on our boat, one lot of.

Larger boats have two sets of props, two sets of two.

Although i should add not all boats have the duo prop system some have a single prop per engine.

My understanding of the outdrive system we have is sound enough thank you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;);)

That's the best bit of quality gobbldy gook if read in ages.

Top marks. :o

Er, I said prop. If one prop turns in the opposite direction to the other the boat will handle better as it can keep a straighter line, be able to control the speed of the different props, etc. I'm guessing most twin prop boats would do this?

And any boat that has outdrives can out maneuver a fixed single prop boat.

Staying clear of canal/river boats doesn't mean slamming it into reverse, it just means don't go in the path of the boat so they have to take action to move around you, as they may not be able too! (This would be your fault, as they hit you due to your actions.).

Never said it did. It does however mean looking after your own equipment. I for one am not going to run aground so a ditch crawler can hog the channel and take an age at doing so.

For further details please visit this link.

http://forum.merciamarina.co.uk/index.php?...pic=271&hl=

Interesting from this link that a gas bottle seems to have been involved. Highlights that you need to keep thinking what might happen all the time

BOAT owner has died after falling into a Derbyshire canal today.

The 63-year-old man fell from his canalboat into the Trent and Mersey Canal in Willington at 3.40pm.

Police arrived to find he had been pulled out of the water by passers-by.

The man was taken to Derbyshire Royal Infirmary but died shortly afterwards.

Detective Inspector Pat Parry, heading the investigation, said the man had lived on his canalboat in Willington.

"We are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

"At this time it would appear the circumstances were not suspicious.

"There was a gas bottle in the river at the same time he was

Mick

It's actually for the leakoff from the injectors. Probably not allowed under the BSS, been like that for over 40 years though.

Tim

It's fine, but only if the containers are secured.....

From the regs.....

Notes – Vintage and traditional engines designed to return the injector leak-off fuel to a metal catch pot are acceptable provided the metal catch pot is securely mounted and is free of leaks, signs of damage or deterioration.
. Edited by alan_fincher

Interesting from this link that a gas bottle seems to have been involved. Highlights that you need to keep thinking what might happen all the time

BOAT owner has died after falling into a Derbyshire canal today.

The 63-year-old man fell from his canalboat into the Trent and Mersey Canal in Willington at 3.40pm.

Police arrived to find he had been pulled out of the water by passers-by.

The man was taken to Derbyshire Royal Infirmary but died shortly afterwards.

Detective Inspector Pat Parry, heading the investigation, said the man had lived on his canalboat in Willington.

"We are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

"At this time it would appear the circumstances were not suspicious.

"There was a gas bottle in the river at the same time he was

Mick

"circumstances were not suspicious", "There was a gas bottle in the river at the same time he was"

I hope they have interviewed the gas bottle. I think it would be my prime suspect.

Sorry - I don't mean to belittle what is a very tragic event - just my sick sense of humour

Well done Mick for trying to get the thread back on topic

It's actually for the leakoff from the injectors. Probably not allowed under the BSS, been like that for over 40 years though.

Of course, to be authentic, you should really have a pair of Teachers Whisky bottles . . .

(Timleech @ Feb 5 2009, 10:46 AM) *

Tim

From the regs.....

Notes – Vintage and traditional engines designed to return the injector leak-off fuel to a metal catch pot are acceptable provided the metal catch pot is securely mounted and is free of leaks, signs of damage or deterioration.

Well the 2-pint enamel jug isn't going to fall off the floor plates, and the copper pipe going into it keeps it secure from sliding around :lol:

Tim

Now that this thread has turned into a Steel vs Plastic thread, perhaps the title should be changed, now that a new thread discussing the tragedy, at Willington, has been started.

We have our own ways of dealing with tragedy - some just change the subject while others seek refuge in humour. It is human nature.

At the end of the day we know that what has clearly happened could have happened to any of us . . .

Or is that a food mixer ?........................

When I next see my brother, I must tell him how seriously underpowered his boat must have been.

There are pictures of him passing under Tower Bridge with over 140 feet of narrow boat, pushed along by his pathetic 20HP Petter PD2.

A miracle he made it back alive, it seems.......

But could he do the east coast ring? :lol:

That is from Lincoln, the Fosdyke Canal to Torksey, tidal Trent to Trent Falls, Humber, North sea, The Wash, tidal Haven to Boston, Witham navigation back to Lincoln

Tim

Nuneaton used to run a total loss system when I joined the Narrow Boat Trust. I fitted the Coca-Cola tin system.

And emptied regularly....

I was looking for that Collision Reg's but couldn't find it on waterscape. Basically I remembered it as biggest (or more less movable) wins! I recall inland regs are slightly different with rivers and such.

The post was about open waters. However, on rivers and canals the vessel going downstream has the right of way, and for those rivers and canals with locks going downhill through the locks is the equivalent of going downstream. The reason is that the downstream vessel has less control. Most of the vessels I have met on the Thames are blissfully unaware of this.

However, there is an informal rule of "might is right" and it would be foolish to impede someone who is bigger and less able to manoeuvre, irrespective of who has right of way. 65 tons of steel boat makes quite a hole in a 2 ton yoghurt pot, and although the insurance companies may sort it out, the YP will be off the water for a long time.

The post was about open waters. However, on rivers and canals the vessel going downstream has the right of way, and for those rivers and canals with locks going downhill through the locks is the equivalent of going downstream. The reason is that the downstream vessel has less control. Most of the vessels I have met on the Thames are blissfully unaware of this.

However, there is an informal rule of "might is right" and it would be foolish to impede someone who is bigger and less able to manoeuvre, irrespective of who has right of way. 65 tons of steel boat makes quite a hole in a 2 ton yoghurt pot, and although the insurance companies may sort it out, the YP will be off the water for a long time.

Or written off. Wouldnt want mine back after a major incident. Would rather it was written off.