Death on T & M

pagan witch

Featured Posts

Well, Phylis has obviously gone home as it is after 5:00pm and we know he/she only posts at work.

Some weeks ago when phylis started another of these illogical rantings I suggested that it was a troll and should be ignored. I had my knuckles rapped by a moderator and the post was deleted. As phylis never seems to add anything positive to the forum, and clearly thinks that boating means getting a plastic gin palace to go as fast as possible so they can boast about how much diesel they use, on top of which it/they clearly have no idea of what canals are all about, perhaps I wasn't far off the truth.

Is this the same phylis that came to the forum bleating about their 'noisy' neighbours and how they couldn't afford to move and needed peace and quiet when they/it came home from their ever-so stressful job?

One thing has just occurred to me.

The man who died was on a boat, called Swansong, moored at Willington.

Does this ring a bell with anyone.

(Hint, Front page of NBW a few days ago).

Not the same boat, surely? I remember the article but damned if I can find it on there.

Not the same boat, surely? I remember the article but damned if I can find it on there.

It was one of those dynamic front pages, that don't seem to be cached.

Ralph Freeman has a photo on his "just cruising" column but it isn't the same shot.

Edited by carlt

Well, Phylis has obviously gone home as it is after 5:00pm and we know he/she only posts at work.

Some weeks ago when phylis started another of these illogical rantings I suggested that it was a troll and should be ignored. I had my knuckles rapped by a moderator and the post was deleted. As phylis never seems to add anything positive to the forum, and clearly thinks that boating means getting a plastic gin palace to go as fast as possible so they can boast about how much diesel they use, on top of which it/they clearly have no idea of what canals are all about, perhaps I wasn't far off the truth.

Is this the same phylis that came to the forum bleating about their 'noisy' neighbours and how they couldn't afford to move and needed peace and quiet when they/it came home from their ever-so stressful job?

I think R****el (Phylis) probably gets a bit lonely on here http://powerboatforum.co.uk/index.php there's not many people to iritate talk to. Er just 2 of them I believe + admin! :lol:

I think R****el (Phylis) probably gets a bit lonely on here http://powerboatforum.co.uk/index.php there's not many people to iritate talk to. Er just 2 of them I believe + admin! :lol:
Being new to this boat we dont know any of their little quirks or oddities.

Can any owners out there give us some hints and tips on keeping on top of her?

She is a 2003 model fitted with the KAD32 170hp engine.

I thought she was an expert?

As someone who in another life worked for a company that insisted a local nautical college tried to drown him every three years doing underwater helicopter escapes and man overboard drills jumping of the sea wall at Lowestoft, I know how hard it is to get into a life raft that has about 10" soft free board and underwater soft ladder let alone 24" of steel narrowboat. Even with your mate pushing up your bum its hard just to slither into a life raft let alone climb up a vertical ladder. We also use to have to climb out of the watter up scramble nets, they were in a warm pool and you were not FULLY clothed only overalls and that took the steam out of you.

I think it would be far easier t crawl up a canal bank than climb onto the boat. To get out on a pontoon mooring without a good ladder would I think be next to impossible.

Brian

Well and acurately put Brian.

From someone who with another middle aged bloke could NOT get a full clothed elderly gentleman into a rubber tender and who could only just get him up a rope/wood tread boarding ladder hung over the metre high transom of a motorsailer.

Every time I have fallen in, I have always got out via the bank.

On the other hand I have many times climbed out of free water ino Earnest using the skeg/rudder fins/fender stool/rear button, which was R&D's RCD approved method of boarding...but that was in warm weather, with someone holding the tiller over hard to one side and with just a swimming costume on.

When we did our ICC/CEVNI in a barge we had to do MOB with large black buoy, with two plastic buckets attached to it. After running past, turning and coming alongside we had to recover the buoy/buckets (filled with water). Linda could not do it and I could only just manage it. She still passed as a little water was tipped out for her and she got the buoy up to a round of applause from all us blokes. Mind you at the end she was awarded a "commendation", because she was the only person who noticed the barge getting hooked up in a lock, when all us blokes were having a good chat about some boaty thing or other....and soon let us know about it!

Well you know I have found myself disagreeing very strongly with Phylis several times but I have to say that I actually quite admire the way she can stand her ground in a heated debate - right or wrong she's no wimp

Hmmm, whatever we think about each other I'd prefer it if we refrained from personal attacks, please.

Well you know I have found myself disagreeing very strongly with Phylis several times but I have to say that I actually quite admire the way she can stand her ground in a heated debate - right or wrong she's no wimp

Agreed.

I get annoyed at myself for getting sucked in, though!

Hmmm, whatever we think about each other I'd prefer it if we refrained from personal attacks, please.

Well said that lady

Hmm,

I can't really see DOR's remarks as a personal attack, TBH.

It seems to me to fairly accurately reflect the thrust of most of Phylis' posts.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Like Carl, I get frustrated with myself for getting drawn in though, as I'm clearly not going to change Phylis' unique view of any aspect of the canal world, and he/she is certainly not likely to convert me to his/her way of thinking. Pretty pointless, really, when there are other threads where a dialogue actually sometimes gets you somewhere, or actually helps somebody.

Hmm,

I can't really see DOR's remarks as a personal attack, TBH.

It seems to me to fairly accurately reflect the thrust of most of Phylis' posts.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Like Carl, I get frustrated with myself for getting drawn in though, as I'm clearly not going to change Phylis' unique view of any aspect of the canal world, and he/she is certainly not likely to convert me to his/her way of thinking. Pretty pointless, really, when there are other threads where a dialogue actually sometimes gets you somewhere, or actually helps somebody.

Ha, I managed to resist the voices in my head this time.

Every day in every way im getting better and better

when she introduced herself as Rachael not Phylis nobody bothered to respond and say 'welcome'. No wonder she prefers it here :lol:

Edited by ChrisPy

Its clear that most of you on here are of the biggot variety who believe that anything different is a waste of time and will never catch. Unfortunately i dont scare easily so a few harsh words are easily thrown off.

The powerboat forum is in its infancy and will become more popular as people discover it.

Inland waterways are not soley for the use of narrowboats and forums like this prove the well known fact that narrowboaters like to believe they do. If you dont agree with my views that is fine but name calling and abuse do yourselfs no favours.

How many people did Carl upset before his little incident? Ive heard from a few.

Its clear that most of you on here are of the biggot variety who believe that anything different is a waste of time and will never catch. Unfortunately i dont scare easily so a few harsh words are easily thrown off.

The powerboat forum is in its infancy and will become more popular as people discover it.

Inland waterways are not soley for the use of narrowboats and forums like this prove the well known fact that narrowboaters like to believe they do. If you dont agree with my views that is fine but name calling and abuse do yourselfs no favours.

How many people did Carl upset before his little incident? Ive heard from a few.

:lol: Hi Philys

You are far too young to take life so seriously, just remember most people on this site are much older than you and therefore have hugely more experience of boating and life in general. You need to listen especialy when you dont even own a narrowboat !

I wouldnt have a tupperware boat even if they were free but I have no truck with them each to his own. Besides if they didnt exist what would we use as fenders in locks ? and there is nothing more fun on say the Aire and calder or the thames when we round a bend and one is coming the other way, they may have paid a million squid for it but boy dont they get out the way when they see my 70 foot 24 ton torpedo coming at them......Oh and I always wave and smile. :lol:

:lol: Hi Philys

You are far too young to take life so seriously, just remember most people on this site are much older than you and therefore have hugely more experience of boating and life in general. You need to listen especialy when you dont even own a narrowboat !

I wouldnt have a tupperware boat even if they were free but I have no truck with them each to his own. Besides if they didnt exist what would we use as fenders in locks ? and there is nothing more fun on say the Aire and calder or the thames when we round a bend and one is coming the other way, they may have paid a million squid for it but boy dont they get out the way when they see my 70 foot 24 ton torpedo coming at them......Oh and I always wave and smile. :lol:

See we have it the other way. Most narrowboat owners where we are keep well out of our way as they dont want to explain to their insurance company why the demolished a cruiser in open water. Plus they know full well they are the minority and the GRP community keep an eye and ear open for each other.

Thought your supposed to get older and wiser, or does that not go for boaters.

Life isnt for taking seriously. You only get one crack at it have as much fun with it as you can. :lol:

Edited by Phylis

Funnily enough I was defending you, a few posts back.

I've certainly had some vigorous debates, before and after my boat was destroyed and I expect no quarter, or sympathy, just because a bad thing happened to me.

Anybody who is upset by my posts, or yours, for that matter, needs to reassess what an internet forum is for.

It is entertainment and if it is upsetting, reading strong opinions, then it is not for you.

I find your posts entertaining, Phylis, and despite our differences of opinion, welcome you to the forum. If I stop finding your contributions entertaining, I will stop reading them. I won't be discussing anyone by PM, though.

I have never found it necessary to tittle tattle, by PM, behind anyone's back. That is pretty pathetic.

Edited by carlt

See we have it the other way. Most narrowboat owners where we are keep well out of our way as they dont want to explain to their insurance company why the demolished a cruiser in open water. Plus they know full well they are the minority and the GRP community keep an eye and ear open for each other.

Thought your supposed to get older and wiser, or does that not go for boaters.

Life isnt for taking seriously. You only get one crack at it have as much fun with it as you can. :lol:

:lol:

Ok Philys I give up, I know when I am beaten you are obviously far too knowledgable for the rest of us, why dont u start your own website and all the rest of us can directly ask you questions which u will obviously be able to answer. Now I am not going to reply to your next rantings so fire away young lady.

:lol: