Boat taken, stripped and trashed

vicvdb

Featured Posts

My father in law had a springer in the late 80s through to the early 90s. Mother and father in law went all over the country in it, he was a self employed builder and all his kids had left home so he use to work 9 months of the year and went boating for the summer. We borrowed it many times and it really introduced us to boating and we also had some great times on it. My brother and sister in law never really took to boating though.

This all came to an end after about 8 years in the mid 90s shen a group of scrotes caved in the doors and windows and trashed the boat. The boat was moored in a secure on line mooring, they ahd to get over an 8ft fence. Also damaged other boats moored there. It broke my father in laws heart and he just gave up there and then, sold it on and never had the heart to get back into boating. Since then we hired many times and have bought a boat ourselves, and it is great to get the in laws up to join us on our boat because they never lost their interest in boating.

The problem with the vandalism / petty theft was not the physical damage but the emotional side, the worry that to buy a new boat or refit would just be wasted by further wanton damage. It is not just a phenomenon of the current time but has been around for ages.

I fully sympathise with you and I really hope you can get back on the water and if getting your springer back into shape is the way that best helps you do this then do so. Please do not get driven off the water by this, I have seen that happen and in later years you may end up regretting giving up.

"When are you going to learn that it is not your opinion that counts, its the OP and family`s opinion that matter"

By posting on a public forum, thereby inviting comment and opinion, you will often find the response will be comment and opinion. If you don't want comment or opinion then it is best to avoid public discussion forums, they are rife with comment and opinion. Just thought I would warn you! Some people seem to think comment and opinion have no place on a public discussion forum.

And wouldn't it be a depressing and regressive world if all the comments and opinions were in total synch with our own! Come to think of it, would there be any point in having a public discussion forum, in fact, it would be technically impossible to have one because it is only through diversity of opinion that discussion can occur at all!

Cheer up!

Suppose this springer is saved andrefitted. Will it ever feel the same again knowing that someone has been in and trashed it before. Will it not spoil your enjoyment of the boat?

This is a very good point and one that can only be addressed by the family.

When Usk was burnt my initial reaction was that the b*****ds wouldn't beat me and I'd rebuild it. This was within my capabilities and, as it was only straight planks affected, would not be a great deal of extra work, apart from a total refit.

Unfortunately it affected swmbo much more and she became very ill, as a result. I decided my family comes first, and my heart was no longer in the canals.

Different people react in different ways.

I echo the thoughts posted earlier in this thread. Some people see the fitting out process as hard labour, I'm loving doing Helena. I wish I had a little more time to be on the boat because a full time job, with lots of staying away and up to one hundred and twenty hours of overtime a month does fill my time somewhat. Fitting a boat can be done at reasonable cost, with a little ingenuity. The results are rewarding, and I feel the OP is probably not going to be selling soon and that a profit is not an important consideration.

I agree that it may be difficult to accept the boat as your own again, but only time will answer that question.

As to the point "Would you rather be slaving away or out boating?" I'm looking forward to being out boating, but slaving away on a boat is great too.

Lee

I echo the thoughts posted earlier in this thread. Some people see the fitting out process as hard labour, I'm loving doing Helena. I wish I had a little more time to be on the boat because a full time job, with lots of staying away and up to one hundred and twenty hours of overtime a month does fill my time somewhat. Fitting a boat can be done at reasonable cost, with a little ingenuity. The results are rewarding, and I feel the OP is probably not going to be selling soon and that a profit is not an important consideration.

This is true, if some people feel that fitting out a boat is some kind of hard labour then get their boat fitted out by a boatfitter, that's quite understandable and wise if not appropriately skilled or confident. However many people like taking on projects and do all or much of the work themselves, and find it pleasureable and rewarding. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Boat fitting is not difficult, but it can be time consuming as you will not be able to undertake work as quick as a professional boatfitter, so this needs to be taken in to account. Also you don't have to do everything yourself, hiring professionals on a day rate is a very cost effective way of getting work done you might not feel at ease with. The majority of work in fitting out a boat is basic, take ecectrics for instance, the electrician spends most of his time laying cable removing panelling fitting sockets & switches, drilling holes etc, his skills only really come in to play when connecting the ends up LOL As long as you have a basic plan you can do all this work done yourself, most electricians employ labourers or use their apprentices to do this initial work anyway. The same applies to plumbing, although gas work should be undertaken by competant persons and fully checked out after. Lining out is very basic carpentry again it's only the final trimming that can get tricky, and to get a good finish it might be worth bringing in a carpenter for a few days or even weeks depending on requirements.

Some good thought and good planning will help things in the long run.

I would certainly do it again, although I do have a small amount to finish off the boat before it's complete.

I never thought I'd see an Austin Allegro quoted in the Classic Car price guides, either.

Hmm,I suppose you've a point,Carlt.I just can't see it happening at all.I mean,early Springers are 40-odd years old now,but there doesn't appear to be any sign of silly prices or great appreciation for them.Would've thought if it was going to happen,it would've by now.We'll see! :lol:

Edited by KevTheWelder

It is however many moons since I last saw an Alegro on the move - I could find 10 Springers inside 10 miles of here.

They will have to represent a much smaller proportion of boats before they are in any danger of a rise in price due to rarity.

Edited by estwdjhn

It is however many moons since I last saw an Alegro on the move - I could find 10 Springers inside 10 miles of here.

They will have to represent a much smaller proportion of boats before they are in any danger of a rise in price due to rarity.

I think you're right.Early Allegro's aren't so old as early Springer's,yet,as you say,Springer's are plentiful,and,I think,will remain to be so.Despite the need for re-bottoming etc more regularly than other boats,I just don't think they'll die out anywhen soon,if ever.

Just a thought but surely, once a bottom is overplated, it will last the same time as any other vessel.

The only variable is the thickness of the plate and surely, as long as thickness of plate is constant, then a Springer will last exactly the same length of time as any other boat?

Mind you, with the lesser draught of the Springer surely this would be an aid to longevity as it would not bottom out (and hence graunch and grind) as much as a deeper draught vessel of the same footage.

Like you Kev', I don't see Springers dying out any time soon.

Vic

Just a thought but surely, once a bottom is overplated, it will last the same time as any other vessel.

The only variable is the thickness of the plate and surely, as long as thickness of plate is constant, then a Springer will last exactly the same length of time as any other boat?

Mind you, with the lesser draught of the Springer surely this would be an aid to longevity as it would not bottom out (and hence graunch and grind) as much as a deeper draught vessel of the same footage.

Like you Kev', I don't see Springers dying out any time soon.

Vic

Depends how well it has been done.

Once you have over-plated all of the bottom, then you can start on the sides. Keep the process going for long enough and it become like a commercial airliner or a human body, none of the original will remain! Or was that Trigger's broom? In fact, do enough over-plating and you could build a second boat around the first, two boats like russian dolls for the price of two.

Once you have over-plated all of the bottom, then you can start on the sides. Keep the process going for long enough and it become like a commercial airliner or a human body, none of the original will remain! Or was that Trigger's broom? In fact, do enough over-plating and you could build a second boat around the first, two boats like russian dolls for the price of two.

But you dont have to keep doing it, once its done properly, it will last as long as any other boat, so the rest of your post is just drivel.

Well,like a couple of people've said,yes,once it's been re-plated to a suitable standard,with good grade steel(important),it should last as long as any other boat with the same baseplate/hull side thickness.My girlfriend's Springer will need work soon,I think(lucky me!)It is 25years old,was only originally built with a 4mm baseplate,has never been re-plated,so i will re-plate it with 6mm,should last donkey's ages then. :lol:

Well,like a couple of people've said,yes,once it's been re-plated to a suitable standard,with good grade steel(important),it should last as long as any other boat with the same baseplate/hull side thickness.My girlfriend's Springer will need work soon,I think(lucky me!)It is 25years old,was only originally built with a 4mm baseplate,has never been re-plated,so i will re-plate it with 6mm,should last donkey's ages then. :lol:

How often do boats over 25yrs old have to be taken out to be surveyed?

Sue