Snow

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

We have 30+ engineers on the road thrughout the country driving Ford Transits. Only 2 called in today to say it was too dangerous to drive......

They're the 2 Polish engineers. Does it not snow in Poland? :lol:

We have 30+ engineers on the road thrughout the country driving Ford Transits. Only 2 called in today to say it was too dangerous to drive......

They're the 2 Polish engineers. Does it not snow in Poland? :lol:

I have had two customers today............. both Polish and complaining they couldn't get to work . I commented that surely they have been used to worse weather , oh it's not the weather our boss wouldn't pay for a taxi ............. :lol:

I have had two customers today............. both Polish and complaining they couldn't get to work . I commented that surely they have been used to worse weather , oh it's not the weather our boss wouldn't pay for a taxi ............. :lol:

In the last lot of snow when we were trying to get the staff sorted out for getting home as the roads were only open briefly following the snow ploughs we asked one of the Polish guys if he was alright to get home and his reply was, "Bottle of vodka, and walk"

In the last lot of snow when we were trying to get the staff sorted out for getting home as the roads were only open briefly following the snow ploughs we asked one of the Polish guys if he was alright to get home and his reply was, "Bottle of vodka, and walk"

:lol: Or how about just "Bottle of vodka and stay..." save walking back next day with a hangover. :lol:

I don't know whether it is just the fact that I am getting old, or just grumpy, but I am beginning to feel like my Father when I say it wasn't like that in my day!

I remember virtually every Winter through the 50s and 60s being prolonged periods of snow, from January to sometimes still on the ground into March. It was frequently deep drifting snow rather than the few inches that have brought half the country to a standstill today. I used to cycle to school in snow ruts in the road, sometimes falling off but quickly learning where I could ride and where I should walk. It was very rare for school to be closed although occasionally we would be sent home early. In secondary school we would make ice slides in the playground and have snowball fights with the teachers.

When I learned to drive, it was in my Bubble Car at the age of 16 (3 wheeler licence) in the terrible Winter of 1963. It taught me a huge amount about how to drive in treacherous conditions. One thing I do remember clearly is that sometimes the snow was too deep on the lanes for my little 3 wheeler to handle, so I would take the country bus to visit my girlfriend 8 miles away. I don't ever remember the buses being cancelled, although on more than one occasion myself and other passengers would get off and help to push the bus through an extra slippery bit.

When I was a young gigging musician through the late 60s and early 70s, I only once failed to get to a booking in snowy conditions and that was because of 7ft drifts on part of the A20. I did succeed in dragging a Police Range Rover out of a drift in my Bedford CF camper. I also remember the continuous work of local council gritting lorries, usually tipper trucks with a huge pile of salt on board and a man with a spade standing on the back, throwing an arc of salt from his spade in a robotic shovel and throw method while the lorry drove steadily down the road. this would carry on all day long on particularly bad days.

The problem that I see now, is that new generations since then have been cossetted and protected more and more from the rougher sides of life to such an extent, that the vast majority are unable to fend for themselves or prepare for the unusual, because they have never been allowed to. This is frequently due to H&S requirements in addition to the paranoia of parents, themselves brought up in a centrally heated, fast food, pass the buck society.

I had a lengthy and very interesting conversation withn David Bellamy a couple of years ago. Whilst disagreeing strongly with many of his views, I was very interested in why he has disassociated himself from many schools projects. Apparently he used to take great delight in taking children on field trips, helping with natural pond projects etc. He always believed that letting children get down and dirty, by splashing in the mud, picking up creepy crawlies, and eating their sandwiches with muddy fingers, was not only great fun and learning, but also kept them in contact with the soil and natural elements and bacteria that helped them build immunities and learn to live in the natural world. He told me that he gave up after a number of experiences where children were only allowed to pond dip if they were wearing protective rubber gloves, were not to go in inclement weather, and had to wear flotation devices if water was more than 14" deep. He reckoned that the odd scare for kids, while under supervision helped promote awareness of dangers. I don't know how much he embellished his stories, but I have to agree with the basic philosophy.

Most of what I have learned in life has been through experience and trying things, that applies to driving in the snow, walking to school through snow drifts, always getting to somewhere that I am expected whatever the conditions and generally how to survive.

Maybe our reliance on technology and science, plus the easy way we accept what we are told about dangers has made us unable to cope on our own any more, or as I said at the beginning perhaps I am just getting old :lol:

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

My grumpy old g*t made sure every member of his house hold got to work today !!

Been great not a customer in sight apart from the two Poles so have been on line all day !! If I had stayed at home I'd have had chores to do , maybe the "old" ways are the best afterall :lol:

The RSC have cancelled their London shows because of the bad weather today. And they''ve closed the London offices and South London rehearsal rooms.

No such luck up here in snowy Stratford though!

It takes me back to my schooldays of sitting next to the radio first thing in the morning on a snowy day, hoping to hear that your school would be closed that day! :lol: In Cornwall where I grew up, even three snowflakes constituted mass school closures. Usually the school's pipes would burst at hearing the very weather report. :lol:

I don't know whether it is just the fact that I am getting old, or just grumpy, but I am beginning to feel like my Father when I say it wasn't like that in my day!

I remember virtually every Winter through the 50s and 60s being prolonged periods of snow, from January to sometimes still on the ground into March. It was frequently deep drifting snow rather than the few inches that have brought half the country to a standstill today. I used to cycle to school in snow ruts in the road, sometimes falling off but quickly learning where I could ride and where I should walk. It was very rare for school to be closed although occasionally we would be sent home early. In secondary school we would make ice slides in the playground and have snowball fights with the teachers.

When I learned to drive, it was in my Bubble Car at the age of 16 (3 wheeler licence) in the terrible Winter of 1963. It taught me a huge amount about how to drive in treacherous conditions. One thing I do remember clearly is that sometimes the snow was too deep on the lanes for my little 3 wheeler to handle, so I would take the country bus to visit my girlfriend 8 miles away. I don't ever remember the buses being cancelled, although on more than one occasion myself and other passengers would get off and help to push the bus through an extra slippery bit.

When I was a young gigging musician through the late 60s and early 70s, I only once failed to get to a booking in snowy conditions and that was because of 7ft drifts on part of the A20. I did succeed in dragging a Police Range Rover out of a drift in my Bedford CF camper. I also remember the continuous work of local council gritting lorries, usually tipper trucks with a huge pile of salt on board and a man with a spade standing on the back, throwing an arc of salt from his spade in a robotic shovel and throw method while the lorry drove steadily down the road. this would carry on all day long on particularly bad days.

The problem that I see now, is that new generations since then have been cossetted and protected more and more from the rougher sides of life to such an extent, that the vast majority are unable to fend for themselves or prepare for the unusual, because they have never been allowed to. This is frequently due to H&S requirements in addition to the paranoia of parents, themselves brought up in a centrally heated, fast food, pass the buck society.

I had a lengthy and very interesting conversation withn David Bellamy a couple of years ago. Whilst disagreeing strongly with many of his views, I was very interested in why he has disassociated himself from many schools projects. Apparently he used to take great delight in taking children on field trips, helping with natural pond projects etc. He always believed that letting children get down and dirty, by splashing in the mud, picking up creepy crawlies, and eating their sandwiches with muddy fingers, was not only great fun and learning, but also kept them in contact with the soil and natural elements and bacteria that helped them build immunities and learn to live in the natural world. He told me that he gave up after a number of experiences where children were only allowed to pond dip if they were wearing protective rubber gloves, were not to go in inclement weather, and had to wear flotation devices if water was more than 14" deep. He reckoned that the odd scare for kids, while under supervision helped promote awareness of dangers. I don't know how much he embellished his stories, but I have to agree with the basic philosophy.

Most of what I have learned in life has been through experience and trying things, that applies to driving in the snow, walking to school through snow drifts, always getting to somewhere that I am expected whatever the conditions and generally how to survive.

Maybe our reliance on technology and science, plus the easy way we accept what we are told about dangers has made us unable to cope on our own any more, or as I said at the beginning perhaps I am just getting old :lol:

Roger

Ah those were the days... that I missed completely and wish I could get back to.

Bunch of fragile whiners these days.

Pah.

I live in Manchester, and work in Chesterfield, which means a 40 mile journey through Derbyshire to get to work.

I'm at work now, and in 15 years, I've only had two days when snow prevented me getting to work.

Some people need to try harder (including the three people in this office who live within 5 miles of the office but aren't here)

Pah.

I live in Manchester, and work in Chesterfield, which means a 40 mile journey through Derbyshire to get to work.

I'm at work now, and in 15 years, I've only had two days when snow prevented me getting to work.

Some people need to try harder (including the three people in this office who live within 5 miles of the office but aren't here)

I went up to the bank earlier , only two staff in ( it's a large London branch ) they will not be taking any money in untill Wednesday as not enough staff to process it !!! :lol:

Maybe our reliance on technology and science, plus the easy way we accept what we are told about dangers has made us unable to cope on our own any more, or as I said at the beginning perhaps I am just getting old ;)

Roger

:lol::lol::lol:

Well said Roger. Ah 1963 what a great winter, I was 7, loads of snow but still had to bike 5 miles to school. Happy days ;):lol: Bring back snow chains?

Edited by NB Phoenix

To be honest, I'd rather have the day off than prove that I could get into work! Trains and buses still running, even out in the snowy fens, but they shut the school. Hence I'm sitting in the University Library doing some research and being paid to be on Canal World now!

I think that there are two factors that have changed. The first is that cars have become much more consumer durables and less pieces of engineering. It used to be the case that owning and using a car meant you were more likely to be practically minded and handy. Now everyone has a car, and many car users never even open the bonnet and can't change a wheel (and many of them a women! (Boy, am I going to regret that)).

The second difference is that there's just far more traffic. The problem with driving in snow these days is not the slippery road surfaces, or even the f*ckwits who can't drive over them, its just that the conditions reduce road capacity by 50 percent, and as all roads are now always full, that creates huge traffic jams. You won't spend all night in a car stuck in a ditch, you'll spend all night in car stuck in a jam. I live in a village next to the M11, and well remember the problems with snow there a couple of years back. The crowds of the hungry rising up from the motorway cutting and descending on the village shop after a night on the carriageway.

MP.

Roger

I'm sure most of us feel the same or we wouldn't be found hanging about dangerous and dirty waterways!

And of course the generation before you (and me) said exactly the same about us and the generation before them also said the same. Before that things were more of a level with human suffering and fortitude but now humans seem to be on a steepening slope toward total inepitude.

We can't stop it happening, just try and keep sane by keeping stress at low levels if possible. I've just spent a couple of memorable hours out in the snow with my daughter taking photos and shooting video of the River Soar Navigation and Biam down at St Mary's Mill and there abouts.

StMarysattheconfluenceoftheRiversSo.jpg

Everyone we met was friendly and also enjoying the unusual weather conditions.

The wife wisely decided not to try and drive to Southend for work purposes, from here in Leicester as it sounds like total chaos down there.

Roger t' Bodger

Roger

Agree with every word Roger, remember those days well [i'm a grumpy 62yr old] although never been a young gigging musician, you had to have bl**dy good excuse to miss a day at work, and school come to think of it!.

Too much H&S at schools these days and too much cotton wooling, we're becoming a nation of wimps [or is whimps].

John

P.S. We're all getting old[er] doesn’t alter what you've said though!

Edited cos i cant spel.

Edited by johnjo

To be honest, I'd rather have the day off than prove that I could get into work! Trains and buses still running, even out in the snowy fens, but they shut the school. Hence I'm sitting in the University Library doing some research and being paid to be on Canal World now!

Well I’m very happy for you, many of the parents who have had to take a day of work to look after their children because the school is shut won’t get paid for today!

I think that there are two factors that have changed. The first is that cars have become much more consumer durables and less pieces of engineering It used to be the case that owning and using a car meant you were more likely to be practically minded and handy. Now everyone has a car, and many car users never even open the bonnet and can't change a wheel But with better engineering with regard to traction control and ABS. They should be easier to control in the bad conditions. The trouble is, as Roger pointed out, as soon as the weather man mentions snow everyone runs and hides.(and many of them a women! (Boy, am I going to regret that)). Yes you should see my next comment.

The second difference is that there's just far more traffic. The problem with driving in snow these days is not the slippery road surfaces, or even the f*ckwits who can't drive over them, its just that the conditions reduce road capacity by 50 percent, and as all roads are now always full, that creates huge traffic jams. You won't spend all night in a car stuck in a ditch, you'll spend all night in car stuck in a jam. I live in a village next to the M11, and well remember the problems with snow there a couple of years back. So do I as I spent most of it in charge of a fire appliance trying to help some of the cut off motorists. Going back to MP comments about women drivers. This fire engine was driven by a young female firefighter and she never got it stuck in the snow once! The crowds of the hungry rising up from the motorway cutting and descending on the village shop after a night on the carriageway.

MP.

I went up to the bank earlier , only two staff in ( it's a large London branch ) they will not be taking any money in untill Wednesday as not enough staff to process it !!! :lol:

Is that what they said! Don't believe them.

What they should have said is - We won't be taking any money cos no-one's bringing any to put in as the interest rate is crap and we'd only loose it anyway.

Anyway back to the snow.

-It's coming down heavily in Derby.

My other half is at work as normal which is just as well as she's ambulance crew.

The cat is performing as normal. He's on the bed doing nowt.

The dog is performing as normal. He's in his basket asleep.

The chickens don't like it much. A'll I've seen so far today is 1/2" of beak (x4) at the door of their ark.

Well I'm feeling really discriminated against here in South Cheshire.

Every few hours we get five minutes of barely perceptible snow falling, then it stops again. The grass outside has a few whitish spots on it, but never mind "inches" of snow or even "centimetres"; you would need a micrometer to measure the depth of snow here.

The temperature is hovering around zero, there is no wind and the sky is an even grey.

I used to comute by car from my home near Portsmouth to the Honda factory in Swindon ( I was a contractor) One morning I awoke to a covering of snow. I set off earlier than normal to conpensate for the weather and arrived on time at 0715. Not the best trip with frozon screen washer and lots of spray from lorries etc. An adventure to say the least.

About 45% of my staff didn't make it into work because of the weather which supprised me as they all lived in Swindon. My wages budget was in the black for that period.

Any excuse to miss work. Not good enough I say.

They stay at home and catch up on some 'marking'.. PULL THE OTHER ONE!

My brother was a teacher until he retired at the ripe old age of 50.. His brief-case never carried anything but his butties.

Unless you are a primary school teacher and you teach ALL subjects and plan for ALL subjects and mark AL subjects on the curriculum.

I think that there are two factors that have changed. The first is that cars have become much more consumer durables and less pieces of engineering. It used to be the case that owning and using a car meant you were more likely to be practically minded and handy. Now everyone has a car, and many car users never even open the bonnet and can't change a wheel (and many of them a women! (Boy, am I going to regret that)).

The second difference is that there's just far more traffic. The problem with driving in snow these days is not the slippery road surfaces, or even the f*ckwits who can't drive over them, its just that the conditions reduce road capacity by 50 percent, and as all roads are now always full, that creates huge traffic jams. You won't spend all night in a car stuck in a ditch, you'll spend all night in car stuck in a jam. I live in a village next to the M11, and well remember the problems with snow there a couple of years back. The crowds of the hungry rising up from the motorway cutting and descending on the village shop after a night on the carriageway.

MP.

On the subject of how people drive in bad weather - I know of two 4x4 drivers within the past 6 weeks who have gone barrelling down the road at normal road speeds confident that their vehicles could "take it" - both were wrong - both ended up in the ditch, one upside down

Unbelievable...I feel a Victor Meldrew moment coming....

Watching BBC News 24 - there's been more coverage about a huge snowball in Kent than the Chinese PM's visit with the shoe throwing incident....Only in the UK!

Seriously now, which is more interesting; is it snow or news that people hate politicians and shoe-throwing is the latest fad?