Snow

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

They key reason why the world seems to shut down when it snows may actually be a change in car design.

FWD cars seem to really stuggle in snow, much more than RWD. Almost all cars built today are FWD, unlike in the 60's and 70s, when almost everything was RWD.

Thats an interesting theory, but in fact, the 60s and 70s in the UK were dominated by vehicles like the mini, BL 1100s, 1800s Allegros and Maxis all FWD. In addition, there were Fiats of various types and Alfa Romeos all FWDs. I seem to remember that the Mini in particular dominated the Monte Carlo rally for years specifically because of the better traction in icy conditions, which triggered similar layouts from other manufacturers.

I think the problem today, is lack of experience in using a vehicle in difficult conditions and expecting traction control and ABS to make everything safe and over rule basic common sense. I do however prefer driving RWD in snow, as I have never been able to completely get my head round accelerating out of a skid in FWD :lol:

Edited to say that the other thing that highly amuses me, is watching all the fashionable 4x4s sliding around in 2WD because the owners haven't a clue how to use the 4WD. I spoke to 2 different drivers struggling in their 4x4s yesterday, who didn't realise that they weren't always in 4wd, inspite of only 2 of the wheels gripping.

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

They key reason why the world seems to shut down when it snows may actually be a change in car design.

FWD cars seem to really stuggle in snow, much more than RWD. Almost all cars built today are FWD, unlike in the 60's and 70s, when almost everything was RWD.

On the ice patches here in Macclesfield, there have been loads of people stuggling to get their cars to move forwards atall on the ice. I've had no problems in the Landrover, without having to use the 4wd - just because the right end is driven. The only time I've stuggled has been parking, when I've needed to reverse - suddenly I've effectively got a FWD car, and I actually had to shove the 4wd selector down at one point.

I am not sure that I agree with you there. I lived in Buxton in the 1970's and being from Macclesfield, you will know how much snow we used to get there every winter.

I drove an (FWD) Austin Maxi in those days, and it handled packed snow very well. However Fords, which still had rear wheel drive, could not cope at all. Now maybe it also had something to do with design, Maxis had a low profile witha big big wheel on each corner, wheras Fords had a higher profile and the wheels were set wll in from the front and rear. but my experience suggests that FWD can handle snow just as well, if not better, than RWD.

At the moment I drive a heavy old VW Pasatt Estate, once again a brick of a car aerodynamicly, but with a big wheel on every corner. That is FWD and also handles snow very well.

Driving a RWD vehicle in reverse is nothing like driving a FWD vehicle. The reverse action lifts the fixed rear axle and reduces traction, which is why you slid all over the place . FWD vehicles have what is effectively a live axle and are configured quite differently to compensate for the tendancy to lift.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thats an interesting theory, but in fact, the 60s and 70s in the UK were dominated by vehicles like the mini, BL 1100s, 1800s Allegros and Maxis all FWD. In addition, there were Fiats of various types and Alfa Romeos all FWDs. I seem to remember that the Mini in particular dominated the Monte Carlo rally for years specifically because of the better traction in icy conditions, which triggered similar layouts from other manufacturers.

I think the problem today, is lack of experience in using a vehicle in difficult conditions and expecting traction control and ABS to make everything safe and over rule basic common sense. I do however prefer driving RWD in snow, as I have never been able to completely get my head round accelerating out of a skid in FWD :lol:

Roger

Its the ABS that bugs me. The idea of letting off the brakes to regain control out of a skid just feels wrong.

Have to admit the Fiesta is great in this weather just didnt fancy digging her out this morning.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

I disagree, we overtook many RWD cars in the Nissan last night. The trick is to let your tyres down if you have FWD and keep in as high a gear as possible going up hill and first gear going down.

It does not matter if RWD or FWD, I prefer FWD in the snow but my current car is big and heavy and RWD so not great.

All down to driving really unless it is so deep you cannot get through or so steep you have no grip. If you ever get a chance get on a skid pan, or how I learnt was on snow and ice in a large empty car park.

And you will be surprised how many of the " BAN 4X4 " brigade are really pleased to see you turn up im a Land Rover when their recycled euro sh1t box has just fallen off the road into a ditch !

No probs says us... £that will be £40.00 to offset our carbon footprint to get you out :lol:

Can't agree with his view! I was brought up in Northumberland, where we had lots of snow, and have done loads of snowy drives there. My best ever car for driving in snow was a 2CV - BRILLIANT traction and unflappable. (Cold inside - it would take from Sussex to Sheffield to really warm up on a bad day...) My worst I suppose was a Volvo 240 estate - it kept trying to overtake itself in snow or on ice. I know in its own country there are special winter tyres which would have made a great difference, but given that we don't tend to change tyres for a couple of days snow...

Down here i the Guildford area we've had a lot of snow yesterday and today and I feel that the real problem is drivers who aren't used to it messing up and abandoning their cars - which then become an added hazard.

Also, the global warming fraternity have tried their damndest to persuade all and sundry that we'll never have cold weather in the UK again - no wonder cash strapped local authorities have not kept fleets of snow ploughs and mountains of salt against an event they were assured was not going to happen again.

Stickleaback

And you will be surprised how many of the " BAN 4X4 " brigade are really pleased to see you turn up im a Land Rover when their recycled euro sh1t box has just fallen off the road into a ditch !

No probs says us... £that will be £40.00 to offset our carbon footprint to get you out :lol:

I don't think that applies to true Land Rovers it's more the urban mum, in the depths of inner London, who MUST HAVE because 'All the other mums at my little princess's school have one' brigade.

Had loads more fun in a Land Rover [and an old Mini] than just about any other motor I've had.

Re: FWD [F=front] drive, always better than RWD whatever the weather in my mind.

I don't think that applies to true Land Rovers it's more the urban mum, in the depths of inner London, who MUST HAVE because 'All the other mums at my little princess's school have one' brigade.

Had loads more fun in a Land Rover [and an old Mini] than just about any other motor I've had.

Re: FWD [F=front] drive, always better than RWD whatever the weather in my mind.

Not always the case. Prefer the handling of RWD in the wet (mostly on roundabouts) and on dry days.

Part of the trouble in snow is down to much wider tyres I suspect.

I had an Omega estate once with 255 tyres on it and it was hopeless in snow. There's something to be said for 4" crossplys! (and wouldn't Formula One be good if they were limited to say 5" crossplys instead of the rubber rollers they use now).

Back to canals :lol:

How often does one get to go boating with snow on the ground, these days?

It just had to be done!

Just very light icing on bits of the cut itself, although the ice in the marina coupled with wind direction made getting the boat off it's pontoon "interesting". (Cocked up putting it back on the mooring as well, to complete the double.)

Another excellent lunch at the Grand Junction - the venue for the Southern banter on the 28th.

Snow_1.jpg

Snow_2.jpg

Snow_3.jpg

Any other boats moving Alan ? I've only seen one go past us in the last two days (down nr the grove). At least you dont have to risk life and limb on the locks on that cruise, glad you enjoyed it, love the photo's.

Les+Heidi

Any other boats moving Alan ? I've only seen one go past us in the last two days (down nr the grove). At least you dont have to risk life and limb on the locks on that cruise, glad you enjoyed it, love the photo's.

Les+Heidi

Today we passed one, heading north, near the old buffer depot at New Ground, when we were returning. No others, although something else must have broken the ice today, I think.

We've been working up at the boat for a few weeks now, and have heard boats arrive and moor up on the main line from time to time, usually at dusk.

I don't think I'd have worked locks though, unless I had to - too damned slippy.

I don't suppose you have spotted the coal boats, have you ? We are currently paying marina prices, and would prefer not to!

Alan & Cath.

I wonder how many snowploughs Network Rail possesses? I know they haven't any men with shovels!

At least five - I played a small part in the trials and testing of them when they were delivered new from Hunslet's who built them in 1995/6. They were conventional heavy snowploughs built on frames recovered from recently withdrawn English Electric 'Type 4' (class 40) diesel electric locomotives but they had some modern innovations such as a satellite navigation system that transmitted the unit's precise location to what, in those days, would have been Railtrack's Operational Control Centre. Power for the system was provided from a small battery bank re-charged by solar panels.

Apparently one of the biggest problems with this sort of equipment is that it gets shunted away into a siding at a remote location and forgotten - then when it is needed (about once every ten years), nobody knows where it is! The sat-nav location system was designed to eliminate this failing.

The last time I saw a railway snow plough in operation was near Wernigerode on the former East German Railway network - it was steam driven and propelled and easily cut a path through snow that was, in places, more than ten feet deep. The roads were also completely cleared, except for about half an inch of packed snow, but not gritted - so driving was lots of fun!

Edited by NB Alnwick

I don't think I'd have worked locks though, unless I had to - too damned slippy.

I don't suppose you have spotted the coal boats, have you ? We are currently paying marina prices, and would prefer not to!

Alan & Cath.

Hi,

Peter braved the locks and was at the Cowroast on Tuesday ( I missed him too), he will be back in a couple of weeks, If you PM me i will let you have his mobile number and then he sends an automated message a couple of days before he arrives so that you canh catch him.

Leo

No snow here at all :lol:

Andy/Marc - if the snow is still there could someone just pop round to check my boat is doing ok? Am sure it will be and not sure what I expect to have happened but this is the longest I've ever left it all alone...

See you next week (if I come home)

Sarah x