Snow

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

Went shopping yesterday and the car parks were sheet ice. I was gingerly making my way to the entrance when a young man shouted " go on luv, show us your Jane torvil". Had to laugh but is it an urban myth that you would get sued if you cleared the paths? Our marina put out cones to stop you driving through because of this reason.

3" or so over night here in Banbury

Train services through Banbury seem fairly normal with no reported cancellations (as at 09:30, 5th Feb) although many trains are running late - in some cases by up to 30 minutes.

Plenty of snow in Milton Keynes last night. Unfortunately the computer in my car must have decided it didn't like the cold because for some reason it decided to open ALL the windows all the way in the middle of the night. I went out this morning to find the inside of the car very very full of snow.

Leo beat me to it. Pete's happy to text you a few days in advance, he never knows where we'll be but always texts when he's approaching Apsley...I then tell him where we actually are lol. Being in the marina where you are he'll give you a few days notice which should work quite well. His deisel price was 64p last week and I think he said taybrite was £9.50

Today we passed one, heading north, near the old buffer depot at New Ground, when we were returning. No others, although something else must have broken the ice today, I think.

We've been working up at the boat for a few weeks now, and have heard boats arrive and moor up on the main line from time to time, usually at dusk.

I don't think I'd have worked locks though, unless I had to - too damned slippy.

I don't suppose you have spotted the coal boats, have you ? We are currently paying marina prices, and would prefer not to!

Alan & Cath.

Plenty of snow in Milton Keynes last night. Unfortunately the computer in my car must have decided it didn't like the cold because for some reason it decided to open ALL the windows all the way in the middle of the night. I went out this morning to find the inside of the car very very full of snow.

You might have a problem with this - I bet there is some elf'n safety regulations about transporting snow in a private vehicle :lol:

Anyone any idea what its like over Ormskirk way? We're supposed to be going to visit Edge Hill Uni on Saturday with the daughter travelling from the East/West over M62.

In general as long as you stick to the motorways you will be OK, but don't be tempted by short cuts.. Having said that it is snowing lightly now, so you pays your money !

No snow here at all :lol:

Andy/Marc - if the snow is still there could someone just pop round to check my boat is doing ok? Am sure it will be and not sure what I expect to have happened but this is the longest I've ever left it all alone...

See you next week (if I come home)

Sarah x

i'll have a check on my way home tonight.

Won't seeya next week as i've just got a new job and will be moving down near london on sunday! pop round and meet bon though :lol:

Hope you are enjoying yourself out there! :lol:

In general as long as you stick to the motorways you will be OK, but don't be tempted by short cuts.. Having said that it is snowing lightly now, so you pays your money !

Thanks John - might just ring the Uni before we set off on Saturday we got loads of snow here in N Lincolnshire - its a long jouney and would hate to get stuck on the tops over the M62. Looks like the Audi Dudi will be mode of transport instead of my ickle Fiesta :lol:

Had a bit of a nightmare last night - the pontoons still haven't been pressure washed (probably the contractors won't work because of the snow), now they are a death trap, slippy, icy, slushy.

My poor dog slipped and fell in off them last night, I got him out straight away, but he is very sore and he knocked the top off four of his back claws and they bled like crazy.

They have stopped bleeding, but he's still in shock and feeling sore. I now have a boat full of bloodstained cushions and crocheted blankets, and muddy, bloody towels, there was mud and sleet everywhere last night. Oh and the washing machine is frozen solid, so I guess I'l have to pay £4.30 a wash to get the towels done in the Waterside centre. Oh. and I'm on my own, and the bog needs emptying. I don't think i can trust myself to wheel the thetford to the elsan in this ice. grr!

I was supposed to go and work with a client in the Midlands today, but he's snowed in, so at least Ive been able to cancel the dogsitter and stay in the boat and nurse my dog.

Thanks for listening to me share my whinge..... :lol:

Edited by Lady Muck

All trains through Banbury (as at 16:00, 5th Feb) are currently reported as running 'on-time' - not a bad achievement considering the early disruptions in the Reading and Birmingham areas.

Network Rail come in for a lot of criticism but on a day when the area experienced 10 centimetres of snow, hundreds of schools stayed shut and thousands of workers stayed at home because of dangerous road conditions - the trains kept rolling.

Well Done I say!

Edited by NB Alnwick

Do you have a VW by any chance?

A friend of mine had one and it did the same on a very wet night. The car was about three weeks old!

Anyone know what the M62 is like crossing over the "top" of the mountains. I have a meeting in Leeds tomorow morning and have cancelled once already.

went to Sunderland on Monday (see my previous post).

should have returned there on Tuesday (didnt bother cos of preious days experience, see previous post)

should have gone to Lichfield today but as i got to stafford my boss called to say it has been cancelled

now i have to go to Leeds tomorrow but am wondering what the roads/motorways are like??

left the house this morning at 06:15 and the snow had just started coming down, after being told not to travel any further by me boss i turned round and headed for home (the M6 around Stoke was pretty bad!), got home and the snow had lightly covered my local area, it stopped around 2pm and now its all gone again.

temp here is around -2, wonder what is in store for us all tonight??

Nik

p.s any info on the M62 will be greatly appreciated

Anyone know what the M62 is like crossing over the "top" of the mountains. I have a meeting in Leeds tomorow morning and have cancelled once already.

I don't know about the M62, but driving back from Banbury tonight was weird in the extreme.

The snow was thawing so the roads were running with water and roadside trees and buildings were all dripping. The low cloud/mist/fog seemed to retain or reflect the light from buildings and villages en-route so it was like driving in strong moonlight but the roads were completely deserted - I didn't see another vehicle of any description moving - even quieter than Christmas morning . . .

For the latest info, it is always worth checking with:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx

Edited by NB Alnwick

Well, I am amazed. I had to go from Guildford to Doncaster today - and went via the A1. It was fine - snow falling in the Stamford area - but the hold ups were all road works, not snow. I got there in under 5 hours (would have been 4 but for roadworks) , and was back to Sussex again by 9.00 PM. I had wanted to go and stay on my boat on the way back near Blisworth but the weather reports kept telling me that Northamptonshire and the M1 were really bad - were they??!!

They had also told me that the entire journey would be dire - but it was one of the best trips up and down I've ever had. There was snow - but on the verges, not the roads. And virtually none falling - despite the warnings of heavy falls etc etc. So - what will the weekend bring? Can I get to Blisworth on Monday???!! Could I have stayed there tonight??!!

Stickleback

They had also told me that the entire journey would be dire - but it was one of the best trips up and down I've ever had. There was snow - but on the verges, not the roads. And virtually none falling - despite the warnings of heavy falls etc etc. So - what will the weekend bring? Can I get to Blisworth on Monday???!! Could I have stayed there tonight??!!

We have had serious snow overnight on the Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire borders. Travel isn't a good idea at the moment . . .

We have had serious snow overnight on the Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire borders. Travel isn't a good idea at the moment . . .

Yup, we are knee deep in it and still snowing in Bozeat near Wellingborough/Northampton (Northamptonshire/Bucks border) although it is supposed to turn to sleet this afternoon.

There will be no moonshine running tonight!

Our little Westie is enjoying himself though

img1998bv3.jpg

By churchward, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 430 at 2009-02-06

Edited by churchward