Snow

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

We enjoyed walk through the woods today - more snow tonight!

Mick

108798185.jpg

I'm jealous - I had the delights of the North Circular - which I must say was a delight to drive on today, the lack of traffic meant I got to work 20 minutes early!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Maybe our reliance on technology and science, plus the easy way we accept what we are told about dangers has made us unable to cope on our own any more, or as I said at the beginning perhaps I am just getting old :lol:

Roger

I'm sure most of us feel the same or we wouldn't be found hanging about dangerous and dirty waterways!

And of course the generation before you (and me) said exactly the same about us and the generation before them also said the same. Before that things were more of a level with human suffering and fortitude but now humans seem to be on a steepening slope toward total inepitude.

We can't stop it happening, just try and keep sane by keeping stress at low levels if possible. I've just spent a couple of memorable hours out in the snow with my daughter taking photos and shooting video of the River Soar Navigation and Biam down at St Mary's Mill and there abouts.

StMarysattheconfluenceoftheRiversSo.jpg

Everyone we met was friendly and also enjoying the unusual weather conditions.

The wife wisely decided not to try and drive to Southend for work purposes, from here in Leicester as it sounds like total chaos down there.

Roger t' Bodger

What an amazing photo Roger, just a perfect shot.

Pah.

I live in Manchester, and work in Chesterfield, which means a 40 mile journey through Derbyshire to get to work.

I'm at work now, and in 15 years, I've only had two days when snow prevented me getting to work.

Some people need to try harder (including the three people in this office who live within 5 miles of the office but aren't here)

I used to live in Buxton, and covered the whole of the High Peak and West Derbyshire areas, and in four winters of exceptionally heavy snow never ever failed to get to the office, or to any of the other meetuings in the area, Including evening meetings.

But we knew Snow was going to happen and were properly equipped for it. Starting with the appropriate type of car, in which I carried several paving slabs for exrtra traction, and a whole kit of emergency equipment, including a heavy shovel, plenty of sacking, Thick overtrousers, duvet jacket, Down filled sleeping bag, etc and a food supply fit for an Antartic expedition.

The Most important bit of kit however, was a 12ft length of Plastic tubing which could be pushed through a snow drift from the car to enable the occupant to breath. I never had to resorrt to using much of the stuff I carried but one chap suvived stuck buried in a snow drift, on the Cat and Fiddle road for more than 36 hours one winter using much iof this vital emergency kit.

As a matter of interest, you were at work when you posted, did you get home? they reported the Snake Pass was closed this morning, it's a long slow way home through Baslow and Eyam, if the road is clear!!

Edited by David Schweizer

All

i got up this morning to find a couple of inches of snow, nothing to worry about i thought.........

had to drive from Wirral to Middlesborough, 173 miles and to top it off had to pass over Saddleworth Moor on the M62. as i approached the M1 turn off i hit a patch of snow (i was only going 20MPH) lost the back end of the car and was "snaking" for a hundred yards or so. Very Very scary moment had to stop for a coffee and a sly cigarette!!.

got stuck in the services at Heartshead Moor, not one sign of gritting at all, was stuck for about twenty mins till a guy in a van helped me out!

Middlesborough was not too bad but did have a large covering of snow (around 4" i reckon).

Set off for home at 4PM and have just arrived back in the wirral to find i have at least 6" of snow covering the whole of the garden, i have the dreaded speed bumps in my road and trying to get over them was a nightmare!.

just been round to the corner shop for a bottle of wine (ok two bottles) and am now goingto call my boss to say that i wont be going back to Middlesborough tomorrow to finish off a job (love drinving in the snow and love everything about the snow but i have to admit that i took a few too many chances today that could have resulted in a nasty accident).

at least i can say i tried (not like some that just opened the curtains, saw the snow and rolled back into bed), (not aimed at anyone on this forum by the way).

that was my day anyway.

now wheres that wine bottle.

Nik

Thanks Andy

I think it's nice spot and have taken pics exactly in the same place for years as it shows the changes in light, season and weather for one of my productions for Soar Eyes. I couldn't have done it today without the driving of my daughter Meg who was not so enamoured with the location but still took some brilliant pix with her far superiour camera. Once I walked here. Now I cycle, now in weather conditions like these I need conveying to the nearest parking space. Needs must etc

Pah.

I live in Manchester, and work in Chesterfield, which means a 40 mile journey through Derbyshire to get to work.

I'm at work now, and in 15 years, I've only had two days when snow prevented me getting to work.

Some people need to try harder (including the three people in this office who live within 5 miles of the office but aren't here)

Well i must add that i am very proud of my 18yr old who only passed his test new years eve, I am a driving instructor and as much as i have drilled into him what to do in a skid and how to drive in bad weather my heart raced this morning with worry at his 80mile round trip from widnes to liverpool then down to crewe to work.

I suppose i will never know if he had any scary moments due to him not putting into practice what i taught him but at least he made the trip and no doubt has learned from his experience.

Lois

Liverpool had a wonderful covering of snow this evening....alas it's melting!!

Yeah your right, my path has started to thaw out now (only a little though)

i am hoping that it snows like mad tonight so that i dont have to go to Middlesborough tomorrow morning (although i think it will still be bad up there tomorrow, hopefully)

what is the outside temp at the mo where you are??

Nik

I don't know what has happened to this country! This is how we dealt with it in 1963

Marvellous video. We had 7-8" snow in Twickenham and yesterday I swept our path and the pavement outside. No-one else in the road had done anything and a couple of people commented that if someone now slipped on the bit I'd cleaned I could be sued!!!!!!!

It's very sad that this 'sue them' culture has come here, I think from the U.S. I don't believe it actually happens that people do sue at the drop of a hat (well, you've got to be careful about hats), but with the media going on about it all the time this is the general opinion. People now almost use it as an excuse not to do things, and it also gives them something to moan about.

Edited by Tam & Di

Snow?? that lot's not snow.........more like a slight frost. Round here we don't clear the snow with snowploughs, we drive tunnels thro' it.

Yesterday, I had to drive to work........in reverse........so the exhaust melted the shallow stuff (under five foot), then had to drive a tunnel & then had to walk on top of the deeper drifts, along the roofs of double decker buses (some with the passengers still inside) & still managed to get to work with 10 minutes to spare..........so had time to clear the yard, using only an electric soldering iron.........Snow??...

I couldn't believe it this morning on my way into work our local railway station is still shut.

We are 30mins from central London, 15 from Ebbsfleet no wonder this country is grinding to a halt !!

Anyway I'm at work so best I get on with some :lol: and not spend another day of the forum.

Well after 3 hours i have finally made it into work!!!!

Better late than never.

Took nearly 3 hours to get home last night as well. At least we made it home. Had to dig the drive out to get the car on last night and dig the car out this morning. Having done that i have gone and got it stuck in the car park at work so will have to dig it out again at lunchtime. Still it has proven to be a good snow car didnt get stuck at all last night and had great fun overtaking cars going up hills too slow.

Brilliant video Alnwick - and it's reminded me about BFI films, which are superb!

I could spend ages looking through these, I love Tea Making Tips (1941) - another world! Sending out tea making vans to "depressed people in bombed out areas" - chin up, have a cup of tea, that's the spirit.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvYymrCn4g&...feature=channel

Cath

Brilliant video Alnwick - and it's reminded me about BFI films, which are superb!

Cath

This looks and sounds just like the films Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse used to rip the p**s out of!

Mr Chumleigh-Warner or something like that.

And did you notice as the tea went through that strainer there were no leaves at all!

Edited by Bullfrog

They key reason why the world seems to shut down when it snows may actually be a change in car design.

FWD cars seem to really stuggle in snow, much more than RWD. Almost all cars built today are FWD, unlike in the 60's and 70s, when almost everything was RWD.

On the ice patches here in Macclesfield, there have been loads of people stuggling to get their cars to move forwards atall on the ice. I've had no problems in the Landrover, without having to use the 4wd - just because the right end is driven. The only time I've stuggled has been parking, when I've needed to reverse - suddenly I've effectively got a FWD car, and I actually had to shove the 4wd selector down at one point.

They key reason why the world seems to shut down when it snows may actually be a change in car design.

FWD cars seem to really stuggle in snow, much more than RWD. Almost all cars built today are FWD, unlike in the 60's and 70s, when almost everything was RWD.

On the ice patches here in Macclesfield, there have been loads of people stuggling to get their cars to move forwards atall on the ice. I've had no problems in the Landrover, without having to use the 4wd - just because the right end is driven. The only time I've stuggled has been parking, when I've needed to reverse - suddenly I've effectively got a FWD car, and I actually had to shove the 4wd selector down at one point.

I disagree, we overtook many RWD cars in the Nissan last night. The trick is to let your tyres down if you have FWD and keep in as high a gear as possible going up hill and first gear going down.