Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Any thoughts on which town/village of Belmont had the railway station? I have ruled out the one on the Shetland Islands... :lol:

Cheam, Purley, Chipstead, Ewell, Banstead, Sutton, Epsom, etc are all in the same area of Surrey railway-wise as Belmont, so I'm guessing it's the one in Surrey.

EDITED to say....

Having looked it up, the following are sequential stations on the same line....

Sutton - Belmont - Banstead - Epsom Downs

I rest my case!

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

Cheam, Purley, Chipstead, Ewell, Banstead, Sutton, Epsom, etc are all in the same area of Surrey railway-wise as Belmont, so I'm guessing it's the one in Surrey.

EDITED to say....

Having looked it up, the following are sequential stations on the same line....

Sutton - Belmont - Banstead - Epsom Downs

I rest my case!

Alan

It has been suggested that the names were selected by Leslie Morton, best known as the manager of Willow Wren but also earlier the general manager of GUCCC when the town class boats were ordered. I understand he lived in Epsom hence the proliferation of fairly obscure names from the area.

Paul H

OK got a good one in response to Neils last pic...... mwuhahahahahahaaa

DSCN2400c-1.jpg

GU should be easy but anyone know the other

Well too easy for me because this is how the dock at Stockton looked last time I visited - but nobody else seems to have hazarded a guess. So her goes - the boat on the left is Stanton the motor to Belmont when working for Blue Line. Work must have progressed pretty well because it went on the last jam ole run.

The boat on the right is the Josher motor Bison which I remember as a residential boat for many years at Cowley with a curious humped back conversion.

The footings on Stanton do look wrong - I hope it is an optical illusion.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

correct Paul, Bison was raised from Harefield and given that conversion for a family who lived aboard during the 70's/early 80's. There was a piece on it in waterways world years ago now.

btw actually having been there is a bit of a cheat lol. :lol:

Another Christmas gathering '83 or '84

There are some modern tubs, but where and what?

Barges0017Medium.jpg

The pipe is a giveaway.

Would it be the christmas gathering at stockton? Boats are elizabeth far back colonel centre and posssibly roger wakehams ash second boat back on the right

Pic's now dissapeared though

Well I can't see the pciture but i'll have a guess and see if I get any right

Baltic or Belgium

Yarmouth

Creeping Jenny

Lupin

Swan

Did I get any?

Cheek! Yes. - now do it properly!

Sorry chaps - I was messing about with the edit mode in photobucket. Let's try again:

Barges0017Medium.jpg

Would it be the christmas gathering at stockton? Boats are elizabeth far back colonel centre and posssibly roger wakehams ash second boat back on the right

Stockton Yes. Well done for spotting the 'Old Man's' Ash! Ash and Jenny were welded together back then.

Edited by Derek R.

Correct Sir! (Pic's back now - I've done playing)

Well I would but I'm strugging to remember back that far!!! :lol:

Is John and Sues there?

Careful - Don't forget I've got a picture of you in your romper suit somewhere . . .

Can't remember if John and Sue were there, might well have been, but not in that shot.

Careful - Don't forget I've got a picture of you in your romper suit somewhere . . .

I know I was just thinking about that. Trying to find it along with the one of you, John and Frank sitting on the roof! Not sure where I have put it.

I've got a couple of good slides of Battlebridge. I'll scan them in a post up for the next round of guess the boats.

Edited by Satellite

Here we go then.

John at the front with Tom on his shoulders. Louise with Rosie and me at the back (doing god know what!) Was the dog yours? (called Bert?) Who is holding the other end of the plank?

Jenny202620co00101.jpg

Edited by Satellite

That's Georgie Pattle holding the other end of the plank, and whilst our dog at that time was Bert, the one seen there is John and Georgie's Domino.

I think you were marching, with a sword . . . fished out the cut . . . or perhaps offered up from the deep by the ancient fisherman.

Leeds & Liverpool.

We'd tied up and were short of planks, and 'Waterways' had some spare. (We put 'em back - honest).

I did wonder if it was Domino.

Were the planks 'found' in some sort of falling down building? I'm sure I remember it. The only other things I remember from that holiday were John offering the policeman a 'drop of scotch' and me refusing to wear i life jacket and staying inside the boat all the way down the trent!

Well too easy for me because this is how the dock at Stockton looked last time I visited - but nobody else seems to have hazarded a guess. So her goes - the boat on the left is Stanton the motor to Belmont when working for Blue Line. Work must have progressed pretty well because it went on the last jam ole run.

The boat on the right is the Josher motor Bison which I remember as a residential boat for many years at Cowley with a curious humped back conversion.

The footings on Stanton do look wrong - I hope it is an optical illusion.

Paul

gallery_5802_2_60439.jpg

This picture was taken at the same time (last June) and I can assure you that the boat is the right shape!

Peter

gallery_5802_2_60439.jpg

This picture was taken at the same time (last June) and I can assure you that the boat is the right shape!

Peter

Thanks fr posting that Peter, how odd that the footings in the pic I posted did look as though they were a completely different shape, got to say Id have been very surprised if shed have really been like that. Lovely looking boat btw, whens that red oxide getting covered up tho. :lol:

Correct location, otherwise completely wrong...... :lol:

hmmm difficult one, shes had a new back 20 ft or so which gives her the royalty look.