A Royal Visit

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Today I received a letter from Nigel Stevens, owner of Shire Cruisers and lessee of my moorings at Sowerby Bridge Wharf, that HRH The Prince of Wales will be visiting the wharf on November 24th to inspect the work of the Prince's Heritage Trust, instrumental in a large part in the regeneration of the wharf.

Although I don't suppose I will be able to get a word in, Nigel certainly will, as proprietor of the main business at the wharf. I'm writing back to express my hope that he will make HRH aware of the parlous state of waterways beyond the wharf, which is one of the prime examples of what can be done with good plans and sufficient funds. Nigel is also Chairman of the Waterways Advisory Forum, so his word should carry some weight. I am by no means a royalist, but Charles is known to have a keen interest in this country's heritage, and it would certainly do no harm to have him onside

Most of the letter is about security and 'tidying up' arrangements. It is very much a working boatyard, and as Nigel says: "The Prince's staff assure us that he does not want to disrupt life or work at the Wharf - some hope! But the pubs will be open and we do hope that it will be a great occasion."

Glad to see that he has his priorities right.

Mac

Today I received a letter from Nigel Stevens, owner of Shire Cruisers and lessee of my moorings at Sowerby Bridge Wharf, that HRH The Prince of Wales will be visiting the wharf on November 24th to inspect the work of the Prince's Heritage Trust, instrumental in a large part in the regeneration of the wharf.

Although I don't suppose I will be able to get a word in, Nigel certainly will, as proprietor of the main business at the wharf. I'm writing back to express my hope that he will make HRH aware of the parlous state of waterways beyond the wharf, which is one of the prime examples of what can be done with good plans and sufficient funds. Nigel is also Chairman of the Waterways Advisory Forum, so his word should carry some weight. I am by no means a royalist, but Charles is known to have a keen interest in this country's heritage, and it would certainly do no harm to have him onside

Most of the letter is about security and 'tidying up' arrangements. It is very much a working boatyard, and as Nigel says: "The Prince's staff assure us that he does not want to disrupt life or work at the Wharf - some hope! But the pubs will be open and we do hope that it will be a great occasion."

Glad to see that he has his priorities right.

Mac

I can remember when Prince Charles's father came to Uxbridge to view the narrowboat Pisces in the 1960's. The boat was being used for the Residential activity section of the Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award, and as a Naval man he had asked to see it. "He will just want to have a brief look and move on" we were told by his Equiry, which was just as well as we only had time to get one side re-painted.

So what did HRH do? he leapt onto the rear counter and peered down into the back cabin, he then leant over the Starboard side, tapped the cabin side,and made a comment something like "Run out of paint did you? and then amused by his comment disembarked. Since then my work brought me into contact with variouis members of the Royal Family and the one thing you can guarantee is their unpredictability. So you may well meet Prince Charles if the mood takes him to wander about, and I am sure he will be interested to hear about the plight of the Canals.

Edited by David Schweizer

I can remember when Prince Charles's father came to Uxbridge to view the narrowboat Pisces in the 1960's. The boat was being used for the Residential activity section of the Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award, and as a Naval man he had asked to see it. "He will just want to have a brief look and move on" we were told by his Equiry, which was just as well as we only had time to get one side re-painted.

So what did HRH do? he leapt onto the rear counter and peered down into the back cabin, he then leant over the Starboard side, tapped the cabin side,and made a comment something like "Run out of paint did you? and then amused by his comment disembarked. Since then my work brought me into contact with variouis members of the Royal Family and the one thing you can guarantee is their unpredictability. So you may well meet Prince Charles if the mood takes him to wander about, and I am sure he will be interested to hear about the plight of the Canals.

The Princess Royal is Patron of the London Canal Museum and I have always been impressed with the interest she shows when she visits us - she has a particular interest in the Thames & Severn canal restoration, it being closest canal to her country pile!

Tim

Call me a cynic, but did you not know that many public figures have researchers and advisors who feed them bite size nuggets of knowledge on demand to make them appear more informed than they really are.

That's a tad unfair. I'm no supporter of Big Ears, but if he didn't bother to gen-up a bit before such visits, people would accuse him of not making an effort. Isn't showing an interest just being polite?

Isnt that what they do for a living, visit things and perform general public duties - like an apolitical President in a Republic? For my tax money, I would prefer to see someone with more of an aptitude for the task doing that job!

I will take this opportunity to agree wholeheartedly, with WJM!

Years ago the Prince contacted a Council in Wales who planned to block the Monty by dropping a bridge. They did it anyway - now it's costing them millions to stick it back up again. Still politicans only care about now and how it affects them - which leaves out common sense and anything positively canal related unless it will further their careers.

why did you feel the boat should be re-painted for the visit ?

you had been told he would have a quick look and move on.

I have been involved in a couple of royal visits.

First one, opening a 'new' building, although only open for six months the whole building was re-decorated.

Second one, another 'new' building to be opened, masses of indoor plants (some were actually trees) and flowers hired for the day.

I have no particular thoughts on the royals but the money wasted just because they are visiting is ridiculous.

I've sent the following letter to Nigel Stevens, as he's more likely to have the Prince's attention than I will:

Dear Nigel

Thank you for your letter regarding the forthcoming visit to the Wharf by HRH The Prince of Wales.

As he is so keenly interested in this country's heritage, I'm sure he would be willing to be given some information about the parlous state of the waterways beyond Sowerby Bridge Wharf, and as you will have his ear on the day perhaps you could tell him that things are not well with Britain's canals, with serious underfunding and mismanagement bringing both maintenance and restoration to a virtual standstill in many places. Close to home, for example, both Ganny Lock and Ledguard flood gates have had their proposed repairs cancelled this winter, and it surely is only a matter of time before emergency stoppages cut off Sowerby Bridge in both directions (As you know the Rochdale is subject to such stoppages frequently), and where will this flagship project (and your livelihood) be then?

As chairman of the Waterways Advisory Forum, I'm sure that your words would carry some weight, and that the Prince would not wish to be left unaware of the larger picture. Like you, I hope it will be an enjoyable occasion, but your visitor has been known to use his influence on this sort of thing in the past, and the opportunity should not be missed.

I have been involved in a couple of royal visits.

First one, opening a 'new' building, although only open for six months the whole building was re-decorated.

Second one, another 'new' building to be opened, masses of indoor plants (some were actually trees) and flowers hired for the day.

I have no particular thoughts on the royals but the money wasted just because they are visiting is ridiculous.

It has been said that the Queen thinks the world smells of new paint.

There could not be another case of multiple identities here could there.. Did His Royal Highness have a numeracy problem at one time, and we have a member Charles 123.

Looks a bit suspicious to me, if there is any of us with strong republican instincts we should be a bit careful what we say.

What about sending him to Fall ing lock

A complete pig :lol::lol: - it took six of us to open one bottom gate.

How did you go on with it?

Only took two of us......wooses, put your backs into it in future ha ha :lol::lol: ( I cannot get the hang of this quoting!!)

why did you feel the boat should be re-painted for the visit ?

you had been told he would have a quick look and move on.

It wasn't my decision, I was only 19years old at the time, and a member of the volunteer crew.

The boat was owned by the Local Eduction Authority, and they always spruce things up for a Royal visit, in fact there is a widely held belief that the Royal Family believe that most of the outside world smells of new paint.

Edited by David Schweizer

What about sending him to Fall ing lock

A complete pig :lol::lol: - it took six of us to open one bottom gate.

How did you go on with it?

Only took two of us......wooses, put your backs into it in future ha ha :lol:;) ( I cannot get the hang of this quoting!!)

Hey Jiimy donna yus start wis uz

I dinna care ifity cums fro' Bradford, 'wooses' is feighting toke

I'll abee shooting oot for thee nixt timm

a broud bit moonlit nit to thi

Alex :lol: