Fenny Stratford swing bridge

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

If you're heading through Fenny Stratford lock, you now need to take a BW key with you. The swing bridge has been modified; it has been fitted with a locking mechanism. You need the muscles of Superman to open the locking mechanism, which leaves you too tired to push open the bridge.

But by the time you have read the SIX PAGES of Iistructions (which still point to the wrong place for pushing the bridge shut again) you should have regained your energy.

But it used to be "leave open".

Are you saying it's now locked shut, Allan ?

I must admit to being so used to having it swung out of the way, that I recently found myself charging straight at it, having noted that the lock gates were open, but failed to consider the bridge. :lol:

Alan

Folks might be interested (or not) to know that until recently the normal position for this bridge was 'open to navigation'. However, because the bridge has been mis-used by various citizens of Fenny Stratford some of the residents immediately adjacent to the bridge (most of who are ex-boaters) campaigned to have the bridge made unavailable to the general public but it has back-fired in a majorly way. (by mis-used I mean swinging the bridge for fun, trying to swing it whilst boats are in the lock etc.......)

At this point it should be pointed out that the original purpose of the bridge was to allow a farmer access to his land and access to the lock cottage only. The bridge has never been a public right of way.

Milton Keynes Council Environmental Health dept. view the bridge as a health and safety nightmare and would prefer to see it taken away but as it is 'listed' this is not going to happen.

British Waterways response has been to change the priority of the bridge to 'against navigation', install a heath robinson locking mechanism and make the bridge so awkward to use and heavy to push it is almost impossible to use by all but the physically strong.

The worrying thing apart from the sheer awkwardness of using the bridge is that during the busy times Fenny Stratford will become a serious bottle neck because each time the lock is used (and it is a very busy lock!) the bridge will have to be swung open and then swung back in order to retrieve the BW key that has to be inserted to unlock the bridge. It also means that the 'swinging of the bridge' now has to happen at each lock operation rather than just the occasional one!

The new developments along the canal-side will mean that use of the bridge by the general public will rocket and I can forsee arguments and, acknowledging the general intolerance of folk today, probably the occasional fight or so because the change in the bridge's priority will lead the non-boaters to believe they have priority over boats.

I think BW have dropped a clanger on this one - is it too late or should we organise a campaign to put this right? What do we all think - anyone want to get involved???

Regards

Ditchbabbler

I think BW have dropped a clanger on this one - is it too late or should we organise a campaign to put this right? What do we all think - anyone want to get involved???

My first (printable) reaction to this is, what consultation, if any did BW take before deciding to change the use of the bridge?

The first thing to do is contact the local Waterways Manager and find out how the decision was taken. Is there any member of BW management lurking on this site who would care to give an explanation?

If the decision was taken unilaterally without consulting boaters, then I think there is a case for starting a formal complaints procedure. When I know a few more details, I'll certainly be writing to BW.

Yes the bridge now has to be left closed to navigation after use. The whole thing is ridiculous, and it is really extremely difficult to operate now. The local rambling groups also insist that it must be left that way in case any wheelchair-bound ramblers need to cross it

One point of note, in theory you cannot retrieve your key without shutting the bridge behind you - which is ridiculous when there is a boat waiting to come the other way as we found yestereday (and if he's reading, thanks to that boater for his help when Pingu wasn't strong enough to lift the locking bar!)

In practice if you screw the locking mechanism back in again, you can fool it into thinking the bridge has been shut and you can retrieve your key. No doubt BW will alter this eventually - but maybe we can build a campaign around the fact? Or around the plight of the less abled boater whose only alternative route is via Oxford (where there are lift bridges!) whereas the wheelchair rambler need only travel a hundred yards and use the road bridge.

If they need to make it lockable, why can't they do as we have found elsewhere on the system, and have a simple length of chain with a BW keyed padlock on the end that simply attaches to an anchoring point.

Why, oh why, do they have to build these monstrous solutions that don't work. :lol:

If they need to make it lockable, why can't they do as we have found elsewhere on the system, and have a simple length of chain with a BW keyed padlock on the end that simply attaches to an anchoring point.

Why, oh why, do they have to build these monstrous solutions that don't work. :lol:

Hi.

Because the 'twonks' at BW who make the decisions don't go boating and have no practical experience. It's mind over matter -they don't mind and we boaters don't matter.

albi.

Folks might be interested (or not) to know that until recently the normal position for this bridge was 'open to navigation'. However, because the bridge has been mis-used by various citizens of Fenny Stratford some of the residents immediately adjacent to the bridge (most of who are ex-boaters) campaigned to have the bridge made unavailable to the general public but it has back-fired in a majorly way. (by mis-used I mean swinging the bridge for fun, trying to swing it whilst boats are in the lock etc.......)

At this point it should be pointed out that the original purpose of the bridge was to allow a farmer access to his land and access to the lock cottage only. The bridge has never been a public right of way.

Milton Keynes Council Environmental Health dept. view the bridge as a health and safety nightmare and would prefer to see it taken away but as it is 'listed' this is not going to happen.

Regards

Ditchbabbler

If this is not a right of way, then there is no reason for it to be left available to the public, whatever ramblers, etc might say. The (extremely simple) solution to all the above would have been to padlock it open to navigation and give keys to the farmer and cottage resident only (need not be a BW key)

Mac

I would have thought that as the bridge was no right of way, then the ramblers have no right of way either. This then makes the bridge private and it is down to the owners to put conditions of use on the bridge. As boaters pay for their right to travel that section of the canals, the owner of the bridge has unlawfully obstructed the right of passage.

I would have thought that as the bridge was no right of way, then the ramblers have no right of way either. This then makes the bridge private and it is down to the owners to put conditions of use on the bridge. As boaters pay for their right to travel that section of the canals, the owner of the bridge has unlawfully obstructed the right of passage.

there isnt a right to navigation so BW can choose to close its bridges if it likes, its just an implicit way of BW's in telling the boater to get stuffed and a way to put more extra bonuses in the direction of its corrupt directors

• 1 year later...

FOR INFORMATION.

The swing bridge over Fenny Stratford lock, (Grand Union) is no longer locked/unlocked with a BW "Watermate" (Sanitary Station) key.

That part of the mechanism is now removed - not clear if this is BW or vandals, (if there's a difference in this case!).

The unsuitable and very heavy and awkward lifting bar added at the same time still remains, unfortunately, but at least you don't end up with your BW key locked in the bridge when you want to go, and someone else needs to use the lock.

:smiley_offtopic:

Another clever feature at this lock is a series of rubbish bins which, because of their colour coding, look like someone has had the initiative to introduce recycling - until you find all are labelled "General Waste". :banghead:

Edited by alan_fincher

FOR INFORMATION.

The swing bridge over Fenny Stratford lock, (Grand Union) is no longer locked/unlocked with a BW "Watermate" (Sanitary Station) key.

That part of the mechanism is now removed - not clear if this is BW or vandals, (if there's a difference in this case!).

The unsuitable and very heavy and awkward lifting bar added at the same time still remains, unfortunately, but at least you don't end up with your BW key locked in the bridge when you want to go, and someone else needs to use the lock.

:smiley_offtopic:

Another clever feature at this lock is a series of rubbish bins which, because of their colour coding, look like someone has had the initiative to introduce recycling - until you find all are labelled "General Waste". :banghead:

Going off topic slightly, I notice the lock cottage there was for sale for the bargain price of 249,995 recently!

Regards

Dan

Going off topic slightly, I notice the lock cottage there was for sale for the bargain price of 249,995 recently!

Regards

Dan

Apparantly it is now sold but the exact price I do not know. Cheerio 'John The Lock' it would seem he is off to Thailand!

Edited to add: SWMBO has just informed me that there is a right of way issue over the swingbridge. The prospective purchaser, for no money has yet been exchanged, wants confirmation of 'his' right of way across it cos he wants to park his car next to the house, in the garden presumably.

Over to BW and the Council...............

Edited by ditchdabbler

Apparantly it is now sold but the exact price I do not know. Cheerio 'John The Lock' it would seem he is off to Thailand!

not sure, i quite fancied it though i've had my eye on it for a few years, but it seems it slipped under my radar! Having said that, it was slightly out of my price range, and needed work. Maybe next time!

Regards

Dan

• 13 years later...

skimming this thread, not sure what to make of it - yesterday, I walked over the bridge to get to Red Lion; on return, it was aligned to wall.  I couldn't figure out how to open it though done it in the past.  I used to be OK to walk over lock gates - being older etc now, I find it terrifying.  I managed it but not ideal.  Can we make it easy to operate as I remember it being in the past?

6 hours ago, CS1 said:

Can we make it easy to operate as I remember it being in the past?

Theres a catch which holds it open and needs to be disengaged- left hand side if you are standing with your back to the pub.

Something could do with a spot of grease on it I reckon-I noticed it was quite hard to get it moving the other day.

Edited by PaulJ

29 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

It is easy to operate - been through it many times with zero problems.

well, easy to operate for you - not me... sadly

do consider what it's like to be told something is 'easy' when that person has found it difficult, stressful and impenetrable.

I think the instructions, such as they are, are worn off.