is this unreasonable?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

So I get home from work last night just after seven, nice quiet evening to see a boat moored opposite.

Just after half seven on goes his engine, fine I think.

About 8.15 its still going so I go out and turn the handheld searchlight on to attract his attention and indicate to him that it shouldn't be running.

He stays in the boat and allthough he looks across doesnt answer me as such.

Finally he turns the engine off at gone 9pm. He had presumably been cruising that day (as he wasnt there in the morning when I left) in which case if his systems are properly set up there should be no need to run the engine as he did.

Now when off the moorings and I have been out at work I run the genset later than 8 but never if there is someone moored opposite, in fact I go out of my way to ensure that I do not disturb people by mooring in some very out of the way places.

Is it unreasonable of me to expect that same consideration from others?

Julian

Who has forgotten the name of the boat and would have named it if he hadn't.

So I get home from work last night just after seven, nice quiet evening to see a boat moored opposite.

Just after half seven on goes his engine, fine I think.

About 8.15 its still going so I go out and turn the handheld searchlight on to attract his attention and indicate to him that it shouldn't be running.

He stays in the boat and allthough he looks across doesnt answer me as such.

Finally he turns the engine off at gone 9pm. He had presumably been cruising that day (as he wasnt there in the morning when I left) in which case if his systems are properly set up there should be no need to run the engine as he did.

Now when off the moorings and I have been out at work I run the genset later than 8 but never if there is someone moored opposite, in fact I go out of my way to ensure that I do not disturb people by mooring in some very out of the way places.

Is it unreasonable of me to expect that same consideration from others?

Julian

Who has forgotten the name of the boat and would have named it if he hadn't.

No, it is entirely reasonable to expect the other boat to abide by the navigation rules.

No I don't think it's unreasonable that you expect the same consideration from others...

I think I have mentioned before that a couple of christmas' ago we asked a boater to turn off his noisy petrol generator at 1am after not being able to get to sleep and was bombarded with abuse and insults... and that was after requesting the same at 11.30 and just gone midnight.

No I don't think it's unreasonable that you expect the same consideration from others...

I think I have mentioned before that a couple of christmas' ago we asked a boater to turn off his noisy petrol generator at 1am after not being able to get to sleep and was bombarded with abuse and insults... and that was after requesting the same at 11.30 and just gone midnight.

What are the rules where you are?

Take care though, I met a couple on the Thames once who had asked another boater to turn off his engine/generator that was running at an unsociable hour, the guy took offence and beat them and their boat up with a baseball bat :lol:

Paul

One day he will meet someone who is a little bit more rude, and more extreme than he is..... and he won't do it again.

Nick

Why is it that there always seems to be a need for rules, whatever hapenned to common courtesy and regard for others? As someone once said the trouble with common sense/courtesy these days is that it is not very common.

Take care though, I met a couple on the Thames once who had asked another boater to turn off his engine/generator that was running at an unsociable hour, the guy took offence and beat them and their boat up with a baseball bat :lol:

Paul

Wait to he is asleep and set him adrift :lol:

on a serious note.

That would be assault if not GBH so should have been immediately reported to the police,i believe they still have to act on these reports particularly if you say you fear for your life.I suppose somebody anti social enough to be running a generator/engine at such times would also be capable of other unsociable things.

Edited by greywolf

I realise that running engines can be a pain for others however there might be a good reason why he was running his engine. I occasionaly run my engine after 8 and I dont see why i should not. I get home from work at about 7 every evening and it is really hard to charge batteries fully in that short amount of time. I would not take offence if someone asked me to turn it off. Also i only have to run the engine once a week so the number of times i have offended is minimal.

I do agree that if he has been cruising that day then there is no reason why he should need to continue running.

Tim, I can see your point but if you were asked to turn it off I am guessing you'd explain why you need to do it and apologise if necessary.... not completely ignore them like in this example, or shout and swear at somebody as in mine.

A quick tap on the cabin side, and a bit of an explanation... can't see the problem in doing that.

I realise that running engines can be a pain for others however there might be a good reason why he was running his engine. I occasionaly run my engine after 8 and I dont see why i should not. I get home from work at about 7 every evening and it is really hard to charge batteries fully in that short amount of time. I would not take offence if someone asked me to turn it off. Also i only have to run the engine once a week so the number of times i have offended is minimal.

So, let me get this straight.

Because you don't get back home until 7, and an hour isn't enough time for you to run the engine, you feel that it is perfectly OK for you to just ignore the rule.

Would it be OK if I came and moored opposite you for a couple of weeks, and worked a late shift, getting back at 11pm, and ran my engine for two hours?

The time that you arrive home isn't other people's problem, and you shouldn't make it their problem.

It is all well and good to say "if somebody has a problem, I'll turn it off", but that doesn't wash.

What that effectively means is "If somebody says something, I'll turn it off, but 90% of people that it bothers will just mutter into their beer about me breaking the rules, and I'll get away with it".

It's the same story as the people that put their bags on train seats "oh, I'll move it if somebody wants to sit there", which actually means "...but I'm hoping that rather than actually have to ask me, they will go and sit next to somebody who hasn't tried this trick"

We have a rule so that people have a common expectation of what is reasonable, and so that people who who want peace and quiet don't have to decide whether to put up with the noise, or go out and ask people to comply with the rules.

I do agree that if he has been cruising that day then there is no reason why he should need to continue running.

I'm not berating you, but have you considered other silent means of keeping your batteries charged? Solar and wind for example?

Dominic

I'm not berating you, but have you considered other silent means of keeping your batteries charged? Solar and wind for example?

Dominic

In my experience there is little silent about wind powered generators :lol:

And around me the most anti social noise generators are Eberspacher Heaters

Paul

Paul

Admittedly not silent if you're inside the boat it's mounted on, but as near as silent to anyone else. There are a number on boats round here with wind turbines that I walk past regularly. They are all but inaudible.

P.S. Entirely agree about Eberspachers/Mikunis et al.

Edited by Dominic M

We met a couple of hires from the same firm who each ran their engines after mooring. This happened on seperate days. When approached they maintained that the yard had told them to keep the batteries charged they must run the engine for at least 6 hours a day and also keep it on for showers, heating and any other function that might use power in the evening.

Apart from them one notices more and more small boats mooring up then running a generator - presumably to power all the appliences that once upon a time boaters never took on holiday. These and other arrive, moor up on the 24/48 hour mooring - often getting a close as possible to our boat even if its the only one there (we tend to moor early). Then, just as dusk falls and its time for the soaps on goes the generator.

As a newby i have not had this problem yet But I will have my guitar and amp on board so I will wait until the ofender goes to sleep then let them a have a bit of Black Sabath on max volume and see how they like it ....even worse is that I play very bad guitar

oh for the peace of the canal lol

Paul

That's true. We have one of the air blower heaters on our boat and it makes a noise like a small jet engine. You will be glad to know we don't use it often, as we prefer the solid fuel stove.

I think it is unreasonable for anyone to make excessive noise after 8 or 9pm with generators etc and as someone said I don't think we should need rules to tell us not to just common decency and thought for the people around you.

I have come across similar unreasonable behaviour on the cut. We moored up behind a boat and as darkness fell the boat ahead got out a generator and started it up on the towpath. It was quite noisy even with our door shut we could hear and smell it. What was doubly annoying was that the chap had placed the thing in such a way that it was nearer our bow than it was his counter! I did go over and ask if he could move it or better yet turn it off ASAP. He replied that he needed to charge his batteries and he had to put it away from his boat as it smoked a bit! After an exchange of views he did agree to turn it off.

There was me thinking we had got lucky as we had found a space on a busy visitor mooring but I suspect it was because others were leaving space around this joker because of his generator.

So, let me get this straight.

Because you don't get back home until 7, and an hour isn't enough time for you to run the engine, you feel that it is perfectly OK for you to just ignore the rule.

Would it be OK if I came and moored opposite you for a couple of weeks, and worked a late shift, getting back at 11pm, and ran my engine for two hours?

The time that you arrive home isn't other people's problem, and you shouldn't make it their problem.

It is all well and good to say "if somebody has a problem, I'll turn it off", but that doesn't wash.

What that effectively means is "If somebody says something, I'll turn it off, but 90% of people that it bothers will just mutter into their beer about me breaking the rules, and I'll get away with it".

It's the same story as the people that put their bags on train seats "oh, I'll move it if somebody wants to sit there", which actually means "...but I'm hoping that rather than actually have to ask me, they will go and sit next to somebody who hasn't tried this trick"

We have a rule so that people have a common expectation of what is reasonable, and so that people who who want peace and quiet don't have to decide whether to put up with the noise, or go out and ask people to comply with the rules.

I agree with you 100% Dave. Well said. If he doesn't like the rules, don't live on a boat or get a more compatible job. 8am till 8pm permitted running is hardly unreasonable.

Chris

I agree with you 100% Dave. Well said. If he doesn't like the rules, don't live on a boat or get a more compatible job. 8am till 8pm permitted running is hardly unreasonable.

Chris

And I agree with both of you. It is perfectly possible to find other ways of keeping the batteries charged without pointlessly wearing out your engine going nowhere. If you choose to live "off the grid", then adapt your lifestyle accordingly. If you need to run the engine because the 48" flat screen home cinema system is over-exercising the battery bank then possibly you have chosen the wrong lifestyle :lol: .

As a newby i have not had this problem yet But I will have my guitar and amp on board so I will wait until the ofender goes to sleep then let them a have a bit of Black Sabath on max volume and see how they like it ....even worse is that I play very bad guitar

oh for the peace of the canal lol

I'd prefer "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple :lol: although "Ring of Fire" goes down well after a good curry :lol:

Says it all really

As two of the three boats that are residential on our mooring have worked unsociable hours we have a tacit agreement to stuff the rules! If anyone doesn't like it they are free to complain to BW and when they do they will get short shrift as the local pub is usually louder 'til later and it's just people looking for an excuse to have a whinge.

Don't lets forget that consideration runs both ways...

"Would it be OK if I came and moored opposite you for a couple of weeks, and worked a late shift, getting back at 11pm, and ran my engine for two hours?" Yes it would, and should you have to to earn your crust that way then you'll see the other side of this argument. Would you sell up if this was the only option, or consult your neighbours in the hope they've the wherewithall to take others' needs into account?

People will be screaming "you're not allowed a washing machine you use too much water" next.

Visiting moorers are welcome to ask, nicely mind, to turn it off and we would, and usually they'd get asked "are you bothered, sorry but I only got home from work at 7" and with an explanation people were fine. We'd usually explain to anyone who we saw mooring that this is how it works (it doesn't happen anymore, well not past 8.30 anyways). On the other hand, if we're off our mooring then if we need to run then it's off at 8, but at home needs be as needs must.

If you come TELLING us to shut down at 8.15 you'll likely be greeted by the diesel version of a mexican wave at 8.05pm tomorrow (again). Last time that happened there was a Kelvin and an R&N in the medley and it sounded just wonderful.

Tim, the reason you shouldn't is because you're in breach of your mooring Ts & Cs, as are we, but as I've said, at times needs must.

BW know about our arrangement and are quite happy with it, at least some are a tad more pragmatic.

As two of the three boats that are residential on our mooring have worked unsociable hours we have a tacit agreement to stuff the rules! If anyone doesn't like it they are free to complain to BW and when they do they will get short shrift as the local pub is usually louder 'til later and it's just people looking for an excuse to have a whinge.

Don't lets forget that consideration runs both ways...

"Would it be OK if I came and moored opposite you for a couple of weeks, and worked a late shift, getting back at 11pm, and ran my engine for two hours?" Yes it would, and should you have to to earn your crust that way then you'll see the other side of this argument. Would you sell up if this was the only option, or consult your neighbours in the hope they've the wherewithall to take others' needs into account?

People will be screaming "you're not allowed a washing machine you use too much water" next.

Visiting moorers are welcome to ask, nicely mind, to turn it off and we would, and usually they'd get asked "are you bothered, sorry but I only got home from work at 7" and with an explanation people were fine. We'd usually explain to anyone who we saw mooring that this is how it works (it doesn't happen anymore, well not past 8.30 anyways). On the other hand, if we're off our mooring then if we need to run then it's off at 8, but at home needs be as needs must.

If you come TELLING us to shut down at 8.15 you'll likely be greeted by the diesel version of a mexican wave at 8.05pm tomorrow (again). Last time that happened there was a Kelvin and an R&N in the medley and it sounded just wonderful.

Tim, the reason you shouldn't is because you're in breach of your mooring Ts & Cs, as are we, but as I've said, at times needs must.

BW know about our arrangement and are quite happy with it, at least some are a tad more pragmatic.

Perhaps i've just misunderstood your post or perhaps I have understood it too well, but you sound just like the type of people that are making a mess of modern life and the once friendly reputation of canal based life.

I hope I never have to moor near you and be on the receiving end of you and your friends bullying attitude to fellow boaters.

Paul