Should there be more moderator intervention on the forum?

alan_fincher

Moderating the Forum  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should the forum be moderated....

• Only minimally to avoid legal issues.
    • Less than now, to cover only the most flagrant breach of forum rules.
    • Exactly as now - no change is required.
    • Somewhat more than now, so no breaches of forum rules are allowed.
    • A lot more than now - all insulting behavior to be dealt with.
    • Don't know.
    • Don't care.

Featured Posts

As a new member to the forum i'd just like to say that I rather like the banter and bickering! It makes for healthy debate! You know that you'll get an answer to your post and different opinions to boot! I do think it's self regulating in the sense that when it gets boring, you stop reading.

There have been a couple of posts suggesting that the bickering tends to be self regulating and I agree that I have seen a couple of posts recently where that is how it appears to be and those people who have been at loggerheads in a thread are adult enought to stop, take a breath and accept that there can be more than one side to the story.

What is rather interesting is that those people who have suggested the forum is self regulatory are fairly new members. A lot of us who have been around a while longer can remember a time when things seemed quite different.

I do think the forum as it is at present appears to be very good at self regulating. I often wonder just how much of that appearance is down to some careful moderating and maybe the fact that it does not appear to be too heavily moderated is something we have to thank the mods for :lol:

It is also very possibly down in part to the fact that perhaps one or two of the troublemakers have finally got bored with their games.

This place is full of good answer to some of the daft questions i have,Yes there is a lot of banter going on but I rather like the banter and bickering,There is always two sides to a story.I,m a big lad and if i do not like what i read i stop reading it.

I notice in the poll that:

A lot more than now - all insulting behaviour to be dealt with.

Has about 30% of the vote, are these voters the ones that have been insulted or those that perceive that someone has been insulted.

One man's persons insult another woman's persons friendly banter. (Had to edit didn't want to insult anyone. :lol: )

This forum is lively, entertaining - there are other forums available for those who don't like the 'banter' on this one. Personally I find the other forums a little......dull in comparison.

We have learned a lot since joining this forum, we have laughed a lot too. We have learned that we don't want to buy a boat - for various reasons - but thanks to this forum (and Chris J W) we've had two of the best days out we've had in years. :lol:

Keep moderation to a minimum!!!

People get bored of mud slinging posts very quickly and threads soon die a death!

Many threads I've read seem to 'self moderate'!

:lol:

I realise a lot of topics go off topic quite quickly but people passing comments about other posters, rather than the topic in question, quickly gets boring. Please may we have a seperate section where these posts can be moved to.

Sue

The forum is generally 'self-regulating' in that most actions taken by the 'site crew' are a result of one or more complaints reported by other members. The fact that the majority of contributors (thanks for that word Carl!) and browsers are sensible and sensitive regarding each others feelings helps enormously.

Have to say that I have no problem at all with how things are working at present.

The mods all seem to be doing an excellent job of balancing the contributions well - and things do tent to self regulate.

A little while ago I felt the level of bickering was growing and some people did seem out to stir it up; but I haven't seen many posts from those individuals recently so can only presume that either they got bored or the mods have done "something".

As a new member to the forum i'd just like to say that I rather like the banter and bickering! It makes for healthy debate! You know that you'll get an answer to your post and different opinions to boot! I do think it's self regulating in the sense that when it gets boring, you stop reading.

Couldn't agree more............

..............& I voted for things to stay as they are...

A glance at the 'latest posts' may convince you that the more argumentative topics are by far the minority and that information exchange about boaty practicalities is very healthy.

Perhaps it's you who is spending too much time spectating the arguments.

I say this with the greatest possible respect, Alan.

It's interesting that (so far) whilst nearly half of respondees say "leave as is", there are nearly a third who want a much tougher line.

Definitely the bias is towards "more" rather than "less".

TBH Chris, my concerns are not for myself, as I think I can take anything anyone throws at me, but more that I see newcomers discouraged from getting involved, because of what they see.

I suppose the 'half' who say "leave as is", must win here, but it's a shame nothing can be done for the "third" who don't like to see the most aggressive behaviour allowed to continue "as is".

Alan

(Currently at Little Venice, with a few "technical issues". :lol: )

I suppose the 'half' who say "leave as is", must win here, but it's a shame nothing can be done for the "third" who don't like to see the most aggressive behaviour allowed to continue "as is".

I'm not too sure what you mean about "agressive behaviour".

The most aggressive posts I see, on the forum, usually come from members whose only "contribution" is to criticise those who may discuss/debate boating issues, enthusiastically.

I have no complaints with the moderation as it is. Yes, there is a bit of bickering, but hey, you get that in real life, so why not on here? Personally, I don't want a forum that is so over-moderated that people don't speak their minds. I've been involved in a few heated arguments on here myself! So long as it doesn't descend into personal name-calling and insults, I say leave it as it is.

All in all, it's one of the best forums around. Through it I've met some fabulous people, who I'm now glad to call friends, and I've had some great days (and weeks!) out. All of these people would have remained unknown to me without this forum.

Janet

I'm not too sure what you mean about "agressive behaviour".

What I'm referring to is adults, claiming to be well educated, who are reduced to calling each other 'oaf', 'moron' or the like, or who make remarks that the person they are debating with clearly doesn't have the intelligence or intellectual capacity to be involved in the discussion.

OK, I'd class that as "aggressive", but I can see that you do not.

If it were just the "usual suspects" tearing each other limb from limb, then I'd worry less, but occasionally some relative innocent gets a dose of the treatment, which I think is very unnecessary behavior by those dishing it out.

But as I'm one of those who has been told I don't have the intellect to manage anything more complex than tying my own shoe laces, hey, what the hell do I know! :lol:

I have no complaints with the moderation as it is. Yes, there is a bit of bickering, but hey, you get that in real life, so why not on here? Personally, I don't want a forum that is so over-moderated that people don't speak their minds. I've been involved in a few heated arguments on here myself! So long as it doesn't descend into personal name-calling and insults, I say leave it as it is.

All in all, it's one of the best forums around. Through it I've met some fabulous people, who I'm now glad to call friends, and I've had some great days (and weeks!) out. All of these people would have remained unknown to me without this forum.

Janet

Eggsbloodyzackly!!

I even enjoy it when it goes miles of topic, there is some wonderfuly humourous members on here

I enjoy the opinionated stong minded characters we have on here

The other site is just a little to genteel for me and subsequently neither as informative or entertaining

Alex

Janet

I agree it is THE best forum

Sue

What I'm referring to is adults, claiming to be well educated, who are reduced to calling each other 'oaf', 'moron' or the like, or who make remarks that the person they are debating with clearly doesn't have the intelligence or intellectual capacity to be involved in the discussion.

OK, I'd class that as "aggressive", but I can see that you do not.

If it were just the "usual suspects" tearing each other limb from limb, then I'd worry less, but occasionally some relative innocent gets a dose of the treatment, which I think is very unnecessary behavior by those dishing it out.

But as I'm one of those who has been told I don't have the intellect to manage anything more complex than tying my own shoe laces, hey, what the hell do I know! :lol:

I think that anyone who treats an internet forum as anything other than entertainment and is going to take seriously words typed by a stranger, on a remote keyboard as harmful is on the wrong forum.

There is a canal forum which stifles vigorous debate and, as a result, is far less entertaining (or intellectually challenging).

There is a canal forum which is amusing but often goes for days, or weeks, without a single post that is anything to do with canals, or boats.

There is a canal forum that is an unmoderated bun-fight which is over-run by trolls and egos.

These (and the less busy ones) can service the needs of those who don't like CWDF's style but we must be careful not to let this forum become like any of the other main inland waterways forums.

There are people, on this forum, who, I believe, demonstrate childish behaviour and, I'm sure, there are people, on this forum, who would include me, in that category.

I fail to see why anyone should be intimidated, upset or even remotely bothered, by such childish behaviour. Treat it with the contempt, you feel, it deserves and have a look at the less contentious threads.

If contentious issues are discussed then strong opinions will fly about and, sometimes, this may result in intellectual ping-pong or, if we're talking electrics, childish insults.

To add my ten bob worth I reckon some of the threads can get a bit bogged down by chit chat which is ok to a point, but when reading the replies so that you don't repeat the same thing it can make it a chore to plough through. When I helped moderate another forum I used to be a member of, I would cull the off topic posts once the interest had died down or if they were so far back in the thread that no-one would notice. Forum 'spring cleaning' I suppose, - worked well - certainly didn't get any complaints. :lol:

To add my ten bob worth I reckon some of the threads can get a bit bogged down by chit chat which is ok to a point, but when reading the replies so that you don't repeat the same thing it can make it a chore to plough through. When I helped moderate another forum I used to be a member of, I would cull the off topic posts once the interest had died down or if they were so far back in the thread that no-one would notice. Forum 'spring cleaning' I suppose, - worked well - certainly didn't get any complaints. :lol:

Sometimes a long techno thread can be liven'd up by a little humour and off topic banter.......I like it the way it is warts an all.

There is nothing worse than re-reading a historic thread and finding half the posts deleated. The beauty of this forum is that everyone has a voice and even those who have openly departed just keep on coming back because its adictive and infomative and above all....entertaining

I think that anyone who treats an internet forum as anything other than entertainment and is going to take seriously words typed by a stranger, on a remote keyboard as harmful is on the wrong forum.

There is a canal forum which stifles vigorous debate and, as a result, is far less entertaining (or intellectually challenging).

There is a canal forum which is amusing but often goes for days, or weeks, without a single post that is anything to do with canals, or boats.

There is a canal forum that is an unmoderated bun-fight which is over-run by trolls and egos.

These (and the less busy ones) can service the needs of those who don't like CWDF's style but we must be careful not to let this forum become like any of the other main inland waterways forums.

There are people, on this forum, who, I believe, demonstrate childish behaviour and, I'm sure, there are people, on this forum, who would include me, in that category.

I fail to see why anyone should be intimidated, upset or even remotely bothered, by such childish behaviour. Treat it with the contempt, you feel, it deserves and have a look at the less contentious threads.

If contentious issues are discussed then strong opinions will fly about and, sometimes, this may result in intellectual ping-pong or, if we're talking electrics, childish insults.

Will you name them? I am obviously missing out.

Sue

Will you name them? I am obviously missing out.

Sue

The forums, I assume you mean.

I'd rather not, publicly, as I get quite vociferous, on the other forums, when they criticise this one.

I don't believe it is fair, or particularly entertaining , for forums to slag each other off. They are all worthy sites, in their own way.

As a newcomer, I'm mightily intrigued by the one you describe as being over-run by trolls and egos?

The forums, I assume you mean.

I'd rather not, publicly, as I get quite vociferous, on the other forums, when they criticise this one.

I don't believe it is fair, or particularly entertaining , for forums to slag each other off. They are all worthy sites, in their own way.

I didn't mean to slag them off. I assume they are all interesting in their own way, otherwise why would you look at them. I mean't you to name them so I could make my own judgement on whether I wished to get involved. If on the other hand you would rather I didn't.............

Sue

As a newcomer, I'm mightily intrigued by the one you describe as being over-run by trolls and egos?

rec.canals or whatever the newsgroup is called, perhaps? I could even name one of the egos, because it's bigger than a barge. Or maybe the same size.

I didn't mean to slag them off. I assume they are all interesting in their own way, otherwise why would you look at them. I mean't you to name them so I could make my own judgement on whether I wished to get involved. If on the other hand you would rather I didn't.............

Sue

Yes Carlt - allow us to make our own opinion. We might just think you are wrong - it has been known :lol:

Alex