Should there be more moderator intervention on the forum?

alan_fincher

Moderating the Forum  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should the forum be moderated....

• Only minimally to avoid legal issues.
    • Less than now, to cover only the most flagrant breach of forum rules.
    • Exactly as now - no change is required.
    • Somewhat more than now, so no breaches of forum rules are allowed.
    • A lot more than now - all insulting behavior to be dealt with.
    • Don't know.
    • Don't care.

Featured Posts

As a person with 4,791 (at this moment of posting)............................................. :lol:

Until you said I had not noticed, must keep an eye on it. :lol:

Edit: just noticed you can see the date of joining, so that must count as well.

Edited by bottle

I don't think I've really noticed anyone paying attention to "post count" on here. I've certainly seen it on other sites where the "I've posted more than you, shut up" card has been played quite a bit, but really don't think I've ever seen that here.

Indeed, I've noticed the reverse of this on here recently - folks like Carl seem to get this thrown at them - "you post all the time so your opinion isn't valid!".

Indeed, I've noticed the reverse of this on here recently - folks like Carl seem to get this thrown at them - "you post all the time so your opinion isn't valid!".

I'd not noticed that, I must admit. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Funnily enough, yet another CWDF slagging session has begun, on Just Canals.

For all its, perceived, faults, at least this forum doesn't suffer from a pompous, holier than thou attitude.

I hadn't noticed that thread on JC (I only look on there for a few minutes each week, it's somewhat unstisfying if you know what I mean).

Maybe I'll go and join in the thread to see what I can stir up. :lol:

I hadn't noticed that thread on JC (I only look on there for a few minutes each week, it's somewhat unstisfying if you know what I mean).

Maybe I'll go and join in the thread to see what I can stir up. :lol:

You'll just get slammed down, for being argumentative.

Who are you to judge what offends other people?

Does the fact that I use the report button to report posts that I think transgress the forum rules (which is exactly its purpose) make me a whinger?

I don't think so

Well named aren't you!

And yes I bit - but then over the past 2 or 3 days I suspect that that is exactly what you've been angling for

Who are you to judge what offends other people?

Does the fact that I use the report button to report posts that I think transgress the forum rules (which is exactly its purpose) make me a whinger?

I don't think so

Well named aren't you!

And yes I bit - but then over the past 2 or 3 days I suspect that that is exactly what you've been angling for

Well its this attitude that stirs up trouble, I meant theres so much on the internet and in forums that surely if you cant take to reading other people views without complaining, maybe you shouldnt use forums.

Nothing malicous intended, and my names been brought into it so many times before, I may as well just own up and admit, yes I am a Troll..... Now hows that make you feel, better now?

Because it dont bother me in the least what you think :lol: I am Troll and proud

Edited by Troll

Well its this attitude that stirs up trouble, I meant theres so much on the internet and in forums that surely if you cant take to reading other people views without complaining, maybe you shouldnt use forums.

Nothing malicous intended, and my names been brought into it so many times before, I may as well just own up and admit, yes I am a Troll..... Now hows that make you feel, better now?

Because it dont bother me in the least what you think :lol: I am Troll and proud

So you wouldn't mind, then, if we all reported you and asked the Mods or Jon to suspend your account?

So you wouldn't mind, then, if we all reported you and asked the Mods or Jon to suspend your account?

All?

Not at all, if you or they think I am or have been abusive in anyway, I will glady leave when requested no quarell and appologise profusely as its never been intended.

This is not my life, I have opinions like everyone else, you may or may not agree with them.

You could well be one of those who say "I`m not going to read what you write", then sign out and read in secret, it bothers me not.

I am a little offended though that you think I am trying to cause some kind of trouble, with your reference to the last few days, does this entitle me to complain about you? I have been off work last few days so more time.

Dont worry though as I wouldnt bother because I can accept you think you are better than I :lol:

Edited by Troll

All?

Not at all, if you or they think I am or have been abusive in anyway, I will glady leave when requested no quarell and appologise profusely as its never been intended.

This is not my life, I have opinions like everyone else, you may or may not agree with them.

You could well be one of those who say "I`m not going to read what you write", then sign out and read in secret, it bothers me not.

I am a little offended though that you think I am trying to cause some kind of trouble, with your reference to the last few days, does this entitle me to complain about you? I have been off work last few days so more time.

Dont worry though as I wouldnt bother because I can accept you think you are better than I :lol:

Well, you did say "I admit I am a Troll" and, maybe with hindsite, I knee-jerked a bit at that comment. For that, if you'ld appreciate one, I apologise for miss-reading and miss-understanding your post.

Not sure what you meant by "your reference to the last few days", but either way I'm not really one to comment about how much people post or read - seems we (you and I) both have a little too much spare time on our hands! I think I may do the cardboard motorbikes you suggested! :lol:

I joined the forum in September - and the main reason was that this is obviously a forum where incredibly knowledgeable, clever and witty canal and boat enthusiasts discuss in an open and frank way, the issues that are important to them.

I am astonished at the amount of helpful advice present within the threads of this forum and with the willingness of EVERYONE to try and help when they can.

I am also astonished by how intelligent and amusing the posters are, given that the general populace would tend to think of canal people as 'pond life' to some degree or other.

What I really like about the forum since I've joined is that it really is like a community - there are spats on here, as well as personal dislikes and animosities, but even those that have apparently fallen out 'big time' are still willing to help others as best they can, and come together on issues that affect us all.....

As I have voted - and already said in another thread this morning...

Vive le Forum !

(i.e. leave as is please - if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

I'm pretty sure it is a reference to a recurring criticism that Mikevye makes.

I think you're right Carl - I've calculated that Mikevye has commented on that issue at a rate of approximately 0.00276 posts per hour since 10:37am on 22 October (not that I'm counting). Frankly, its putting me off....