Should there be more moderator intervention on the forum?

alan_fincher

Moderating the Forum  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should the forum be moderated....

• Only minimally to avoid legal issues.
    • Less than now, to cover only the most flagrant breach of forum rules.
    • Exactly as now - no change is required.
    • Somewhat more than now, so no breaches of forum rules are allowed.
    • A lot more than now - all insulting behavior to be dealt with.
    • Don't know.
    • Don't care.

Featured Posts

Well, you did say "I admit I am a Troll" and, maybe with hindsite, I knee-jerked a bit at that comment. For that, if you'ld appreciate one, I apologise for miss-reading and miss-understanding your post.

Not sure what you meant by "your reference to the last few days", but either way I'm not really one to comment about how much people post or read - seems we (you and I) both have a little too much spare time on our hands! I think I may do the cardboard motorbikes you suggested! :lol:

Chris JW No worries I can take as much as anyone wants to throw at me, I did say I am a Troll but only because

I get the feeling its what everyone wants to hear, thought I`d satisfy them.

Most of my post related to what Bazza2 wrote, his comment "over the last few days" and "he bit" and

"I`m well named", not quite sure what he meant, but I didnt take it as a compliment.

Been looking at some of his posts since, seems he considers himself a bit of a forum policeman,

he has his finger on the button and almost admits he complains about anyone he doesnt agree with.

I know a couple of my posts have been a little tongue in cheek, (but thats all they have been) I didnt

realise they took so much intelect to see the point I was making.

If its jelousy thats bothering him, maybe hes refering to the post about the helicopter I run,

sorry should have made it clear, its not mine (I wish). Its just a voluntary charity thing I do.

I only do the the organising, I`m as poor as everyone else, so no need to be jelous of me.

I do own narrowboats and have met many who are on here, (some dont even know I`ve met them),

I`m sorry to say, I am ashamed to advertise the fact that I use this site because of some of

the people that frequent it.

But I do enjoy it. My opinions are the same as everyone elses, My own.

Not here to argue with anyone or call names, maybe I`ll refrain from posting for a while. sit back and make some card board models myself.

If I`m not welcome they can cut me off, but if they do it to all of us, theres no forum left, its all our

different views that make it the good forum it is and not just empty web space.

Well all I can say is that having met Bazza myself is that he's one of the most gentle people I think I've ever had the pleasure to meet, and I personally doubt that any chap that willingly goes into fires to rescue people could be really jealous of anyone.

Helicopters? Where do you mention that? (I'd love to take more photos from a Helicopter!)

Personally - I say you're welcome, really, but you must admit the user name probably does tend to make people inadvertently think the worse! :lol:

Anyway, I think we've probably ended up bickering at cross-purposes, with a bit of misunderstanding on both parts. Shake hands and move on?

Chris JW No worries I can take as much as anyone wants to throw at me, I did say I am a Troll but only because

I get the feeling its what everyone wants to hear, thought I`d satisfy them.

Most of my post related to what Bazza2 wrote, his comment "over the last few days" and "he bit" and

"I`m well named", not quite sure what he meant, but I didnt take it as a compliment.

Been looking at some of his posts since, seems he considers himself a bit of a forum policeman,

he has his finger on the button and almost admits he complains about anyone he doesnt agree with.

I know a couple of my posts have been a little tongue in cheek, (but thats all they have been) I didnt

realise they took so much intelect to see the point I was making.

If its jelousy thats bothering him, maybe hes refering to the post about the helicopter I run,

sorry should have made it clear, its not mine (I wish). Its just a voluntary charity thing I do.

I only do the the organising, I`m as poor as everyone else, so no need to be jelous of me.

I do own narrowboats and have met many who are on here, (some dont even know I`ve met them),

I`m sorry to say, I am ashamed to advertise the fact that I use this site because of some of

the people that frequent it.

But I do enjoy it. My opinions are the same as everyone elses, My own.

Not here to argue with anyone or call names, maybe I`ll refrain from posting for a while. sit back and make some card board models myself.

If I`m not welcome they can cut me off, but if they do it to all of us, theres no forum left, its all our

different views that make it the good forum it is and not just empty web space.

The last thing Bazza will want (I'm guessing) is you not posting for a while....

I've said this before on another thread but we all have to remember that here on the wibbly wobbly web we only have the WORDS to communicate with - this is only about 50% of what we use to commincate with down the pub. We've all said things far worse to our mates than anything said here - but because of the other 50% we're communicating with then, its ended with no more than than a laff and 'mine's a pint'. On here, we all sometimes post things quickly to make a point or because its a simple response....and we forget to think about all the different ways the words alone can be interpreted.....I've often said things with tongue in cheek here, only to realise later that it might not have looked that way to anyone reading it...

This forum is all the better because we CAN do this and know that, on the whole, people realise what is going on and won't take it to heart - even if they do misinterpret the actual words....

I've said this before on another thread but we all have to remember that here on the wibbly wobbly web we only have the WORDS to communicate with - this is only about 50% of what we use to commincate with down the pub. We've all said things far worse to our mates than anything said here - but because of the other 50% we're communicating with then, its ended with no more than than a laff and 'mine's a pint'. On here, we all sometimes post things quickly to make a point or because its a simple response....and we forget to think about all the different ways the words alone can be interpreted.....I've often said things with tongue in cheek here, only to realise later that it might not have looked that way to anyone reading it...

This forum is all the better because we CAN do this and know that, on the whole, people realise what is going on and won't take it to heart - even if they do misinterpret the actual words....

Excellent comment, I think you have hit it just right. Forums/usenet, in fact any written media is subject to the readers interpretation. Misunderstandings can, and will easily arise.

R

The last thing Bazza will want (I'm guessing) is you not posting for a while....

Well that’s two people speaking up for him; he’s gone noticeably quiet now.

Much as I`d rather this be dropped…

I have read over and over your post and I`m not sure whether you are saying

(A), but Bazza2 hasn’t got this intellect,

Or

(B ) I have misread his unprovoked personal attack on me because I can’t see his fists wavering. (Exactly the type of behaviour that if directed at him would have had his finger red raw after Hitting the complain button).

And I don’t know what his job has to do with it?

Although I hadn’t noticed him before, I have now formed a very strong opinion of him that I shall keep to myself.

Edited by Troll

There have been a couple of posts suggesting that the bickering tends to be self regulating and I agree that I have seen a couple of posts recently where that is how it appears to be and those people who have been at loggerheads in a thread are adult enought to stop, take a breath and accept that there can be more than one side to the story.

What is rather interesting is that those people who have suggested the forum is self regulatory are fairly new members. A lot of us who have been around a while longer can remember a time when things seemed quite different.

I do think the forum as it is at present appears to be very good at self regulating. I often wonder just how much of that appearance is down to some careful moderating and maybe the fact that it does not appear to be too heavily moderated is something we have to thank the mods for :lol:

It is also very possibly down in part to the fact that perhaps one or two of the troublemakers have finally got bored with their games.

I wonder if some of the "self regulation" is, in fact, invisible moderator intervention. There are lots of PM's that are sent which are invisible to everyone except the recipent. Unless the postings are really bad they are generally left "up". If the reprimanded poster stops posting then the thread usually dies quite quickly.

Nick

I do wonder if the prevalence of some contributors is intimidating to new posters. There are a handful of regular contributors on every forum I've ever seen who could be viewed as "dominating" proceedings. I have found this forum to be actually quite good when it comes to having questions answered, and not having threads with genuine queries hi-jacked by regulars swapping banter. The posts that I do think are intimidating and exclusive to new comers are the "We've already discussed this, use the search facility and stop wasting our time..." variety. Not exactly welcoming, and it's not as if you depriving the site of resources by asking an old chestnut. Especially when there are threads aplenty with people making quite inane posts in the virtual pub (which is A Good Thing). The second most annoying post is of the type when someone asks "Does anyone know...?" and they get a reply "No, I don't" or a variation on that. Thankfully, I've not seen that too often on here, but if you go on Computer techie sites there's dweebs doing it all the time. Where's my gun?

The second most annoying post is of the type when someone asks "Does anyone know...?" and they get a reply "No, I don't" or a variation on that.

More annoying than that is a question of "How do I do 'X' with 'Y'" and then most of the replies are "Why do you want to use 'Y'. Don't use 'Y', use 'Z' instead." :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I think it should stay as it is = everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the fact that we don;t all agree all of the time is what makes the forum what it is.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion in a free society.

However, too often, Topics are "hijacked" to enable opinions to be expressed which have little, if any, relation to the Topic heading. We must all have seen an interesting Boating Topic only to discover that the most recent postings are a rant against some aspect of government, politics, policing, or the NHS, and well "Off Topic". The latest postings on "Possibly another boatbuilder" would be of great interest to a social scientist studying the collapse of the post-war social democratic consensus but not to a boater who wants to know the latest news on the boatbuilding front. It has been suggested that "off topic" Topics fade away, this does not seem to be happening.

The Site Crew have provided the Virtual Pub for those sort of opinions so should there be closure of Topics where the postings no longer have any relationship to the Topic? Does the "hidden hand" of the Moderators already do this without us knowing, or are they waiting for PMs?

I agree to a certain extent, but very often the "off topic" postings are a natural prrogression of the original post. When we are talkng about businesses going bust in the present economic climate, we are bound to progress to incompetent governments (see I'm doing it now). People are still free to post "on topic" replies and often do. Opinions are one thing; it is deliberate mud slinging that needs stopping on this forum.

The latest postings on "Possibly another boatbuilder" would be of great interest to a social scientist studying the collapse of the post-war social democratic consensus but not to a boater who wants to know the latest news on the boatbuilding front.

As there was no substance to the rumour and this was confirmed early on, should the thread have been closed?

When a thread has served its useful purpose what is the harm in it evolving into a general discussion (and, perhaps, moved to the VP)?

Maybe if you read the threads more thoroughly you would have seen that Reeves haven't gone bust and the actual topic was, therefore, over and done with.