Should there be more moderator intervention on the forum?

alan_fincher

Moderating the Forum  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should the forum be moderated....

• Only minimally to avoid legal issues.
    • Less than now, to cover only the most flagrant breach of forum rules.
    • Exactly as now - no change is required.
    • Somewhat more than now, so no breaches of forum rules are allowed.
    • A lot more than now - all insulting behavior to be dealt with.
    • Don't know.
    • Don't care.

Featured Posts

In the past I have sensed a strong feeling from many members that more moderation of forum posts would be a bad thing.

But more recently I sense a lot of less vociferous people are put off contributing by the behaviour of a relatively small core of the more vocal members.

I'm no sure I've thought this poll out too well, but I'm trying to find out what the membership as a whole would like done about it, (if anything).

Alan

(Current cruise location Little Venice, London)

But more recently I sense a lot of less vociferous people are put off contributing by the behaviour of a relatively small core of the more vocal members.

I agree Alan!! I reckon the mods should jump in real quick to keep the quieter folks right out of the way in a "This Section Shall Inherit the Earth" section.

I think posts whingeing on (off-topic) about people posting too often should be moved to a separate "pointless posting" section.

Anybody who is scared of me, because I post more than them, can meet me outside, for a chat.

Carl - you are far to busy on your computer to meet anyone 'outside' :lol:

In the past I have sensed a strong feeling from many members that more moderation of forum posts would be a bad thing.

I'm no sure I've thought this poll out too well, but I'm trying to find out what the membership as a whole would like done about it, (if anything).

Alan

Nah - leave em to it.

They are the most entertaining

Fight your corner or dont get involved - its your choice

Every one has their own opinions and knowledge and you dont have to agree with any one else's, take the advice or ignore it!

Alex

Carl - you are far to busy on your computer to meet anyone 'outside' :lol:

It's interesting that, on other forums, posts are regarded as "contributions" and members "contributors".

Those "contributing" the most come in for praise, not criticism.

Perhaps it is time to "contribute" elsewhere.

I voted a "keep it as it is" ... but ...

... there are some threads that could be, erm, trimmed off to another thread after the Original Posters question has (or, more likely, hasn't) been answered. Those threads can be interesting and informative but, well, I'd never post a question about A Certain Topic.

Which is a shame.

I voted a "keep it as it is" ... but ...

... there are some threads that could be, erm, trimmed off to another thread after the Original Posters question has (or, more likely, hasn't) been answered. Those threads can be interesting and informative but, well, I'd never post a question about A Certain Topic.

Which is a shame.

Come on Chris.........'lecktrickery or wooden boats?

I think the forum should stay as it is

They are guided by the forum rules - as should everyone be who reads them - unfortunately I suspect that not a lot of people do

Of course the mods are aided by those who bother to report breaches especially if they are as nasty as some people can be - yep I'm not averse to reporting people - call me bubbles if you like

I've seen this forum worse than it is now with some people sailing very close to the wind with their maliciousness - it seems to me that they have been quiet for a while - an indication that the mods are doing a good job

It's interesting that, on other forums, posts are regarded as "contributions" and members "contributors".

Those "contributing" the most come in for praise, not criticism.

Sorry my comment wasn't intended as negative criticism - I and (I am sure) many others enjoy your contributions and admire your dedication to the forum.

I think the forum should stay as it is

They are guided by the forum rules - as should everyone be who reads them - unfortunately I suspect that not a lot of people do

Of course the mods are aided by those who bother to report breaches especially if they are as nasty as some people can be - yep I'm not averse to reporting people - call me bubbles if you like

I've seen this forum worse than it is now with some people sailing very close to the wind with their maliciousness - it seems to me that they have been quiet for a while - an indication that the mods are doing a good job

Ive moderated forums & its a thankless job sitting on that middle line trying to please all.

To be able to participate oneself & also moderate is very hard & a mod will sometiomes wish to put his/her non mod hat on!!

I vote for stay as it is as ive not seen too bad a behaviour on here.

Let's just say ... I'd rather post a question about why my hand-made-basla-wood keel keeps letting in water ...

:lol:

Mr Heyerdhal asked me that exact same question....over enthusiasm with the caulking hammer was my answer.

Edited by carlt

Alan

A glance at the 'latest posts' may convince you that the more argumentative topics are by far the minority and that information exchange about boaty practicalities is very healthy.

Perhaps it's you who is spending too much time spectating the arguments.

I say this with the greatest possible respect, Alan.

A good thread Alan......

In the year and a bit I have been a member, one thing that strikes me most is recalling the number of people who have openly posted their disgust at the "way this forum is going" and that " they feel the need to say goodbye and will never post again"......So far the only person we aint heard from again is Supermalc! and I hope he is well, but what im trying to say is, there are other forums out there....one in particular which is niceness to the extreme.....I prefere an open, robust, informative and funny and clever forum......thats what CWF is for me and Im proud to show the sticker in my window.....even more than my current license