Current Red diesel prices around you ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

90p in Middlewich yesterday

Will buy Red a local garage and fill up the boat by taking some with me each time I go aboard. Hassel but you can save a lot of money just on one fill up. Feel guilty not giving the canalside folk the trade as I dont want them to go out of business Its a good service they provide...... But the gap in price just to big as of now

Will buy Red a local garage and fill up the boat by taking some with me each time I go aboard. Hassel but you can save a lot of money just on one fill up.

Less hassle, and cheaper, yes, but also illegal from November 1st if you buy "red" at the rebated rate of duty, but then use it for pleasure boat propulsion.

You'll probably get away with it, but that will not stop it being illegal.

It's up to everybody to make heir own choice, but if people are being openly supportive of an "unlicensed boats" snitch line, presumably they would also be up for an "avoiding duty on propulsion diesel" snitch line ?

Alan

(currently at Brentford).

Yesterday from Wynstay in North Wales 57.3p plus 5%vat (60.1p) on 500L

Justme

PS IF you are going to fiddle & buy red from a garage then you might as well go the whole hog & buy heating fuel as its even cheaper (aprox 10p L).

Edited by Justme

walked past the wharf at norbury this morning and it is 59.9p per ltr. so i would say its 57.9p at turners in wheaton aston

Passed Turners at Wheaton Aston this afternoon and the boards say 60.9 ppl but it was Sunday and they're closed; leavw you to guess what will happen on Monday morning at 7.30!! :lol:

Our diesel at Norbury is currently 59.9ppl.

David

Thats a good price David!!

90p in Middlewich yesterday

Will buy Red a local garage and fill up the boat by taking some with me each time I go aboard. Hassel but you can save a lot of money just on one fill up. Feel guilty not giving the canalside folk the trade as I dont want them to go out of business Its a good service they provide...... But the gap in price just to big as of now

I agrre about supporting canalside business but don't believe in charity for canal side companies. Would certainly support a company such as Norbury Wharf where diesel is less than 60 ppl but think whoever it is selling diesel for 90 ppl is taking the p**s

Yesterday from Wynstay in North Wales 57.3p plus 5%vat (60.1p) on 500L

Justme

PS IF you are going to fiddle & buy red from a garage then you might as well go the whole hog & buy heating fuel as its even cheaper (aprox 10p L).

I think the issue is duty on red diesel for propulsion - buying heating oil for heating is not ( hence the rebate) ..... and buying fully taxed white diesel for propulsion, dare I suggest is also legal.... and the way things are going, it will be easier / cheaper than buying canalside red and messing about with declarations etc and possibly arguing with the supplier.

Will gas be making a comeback ?

Nick

On this weeks travels Ive seen 74p Bletchely, 80p on another work boat down at Uxbridge and 86p at the Marina we passed at Watford.

Yes, I think we saw much the same.

The Watford (Casio) one always seems to be above the odds.

Allegedly Herts & Middlesex at Winkwell is even worse, but they are not brave enough to display their prices.

Alan.

• 2 years later...

On this weeks travels Ive seen 74p Bletchely, 80p on another work boat down at Uxbridge and 86p at the Marina we passed at Watford.

I know some people get very upset when old threads are resurrected but I thought this was interesting. Earlier this week I bought diesel from NB Alton on the Weaver at 82p a litre (before the split) - actually cheaper than some people were buying it in October 2008.

P1010878.jpg

Yesterday at Braunston

Steve

...and it doesn't confirm whether that includes VAT or not, but even if it does it seems a bit steep... Presumably, if turnover is slow because of the high price, it will not be fresh after a while and sales will slow up even more as people will not want to buy anything other than the freshest, now it has BIO / FAME in it - may as well buy pump diesel that is rarely more than a few days old at £1-37p / litre for full propulsion use...

Nick

and it doesn't confirm whether that includes VAT or not, but even if it does it seems a bit steep

It does include vat, that is the price 'you' pay.

I will only say one thing in their favour, there are plenty of signs stating their policy

Edited by bottle

...and it doesn't confirm whether that includes VAT or not, but even if it does it seems a bit steep...

Effectively, if you were going to declare 60/40 anyway, it's equivalent to 98 pence per litre for "non propulsion".

So, yes, this is very expensive diesel, and a fuel boat, or somewhere like Dominic's at Stowe Hill wharf will hopefully charge you around 15 pence per litre less, and let you make your own declaration.

The fuel at marinas both at Braunston and Whilton always seems to be way over the odds. I assume it is because they think they have a captive market from the many marina moorers who neither like locks, nor travelling very far, so who are happy to pay top whack to avoid having to go elsewhere for it.

I try very hard not to pay such ridiculously inflated prices - we should all aim to try and support those trying to sell it with much smaller margins, IMO.

Effectively, if you were going to declare 60/40 anyway, it's equivalent to 98 pence per litre for "non propulsion".

So, yes, this is very expensive diesel, and a fuel boat, or somewhere like Dominic's at Stowe Hill wharf will hopefully charge you around 15 pence per litre less, and let you make your own declaration.

The fuel at marinas both at Braunston and Whilton always seems to be way over the odds. I assume it is because they think they have a captive market from the many marina moorers who neither like locks, nor travelling very far, so who are happy to pay top whack to avoid having to go elsewhere for it.

I try very hard not to pay such ridiculously inflated prices - we should all aim to try and support those trying to sell it with much smaller margins, IMO.

I don't suppose Braunston Marina sold much diesel over the weekend - there were at least 3 fuel boats present!

David

Just called in at the Lee Valley Boat Centre, Broxbourne, for diesel.

"Oh, you don't want to buy diesel here!"

"why not?"

"£1.22 a litre, no split."

Well, that's less than Braunston, with a 60/40 split. How's that work?

I ask him why he doesn't do the split. "Can't be bothered with the paperwork."

I reckoned that if he says that to everyone, the diesel in his tanks has likely been there quite a while!

Mac

"why not?"

I reckoned that if he says that to everyone, the diesel in his tanks has likely been there quite a while!

Mac

I suspect he is required to sell diesel by his landlords lea Valley Park but doesnt want to.

He doesnt have a hire fleet any more but there are still 2 diesel day boats so if there was anything wrong with the fuel he would sort it out fairly quickly

...and it doesn't confirm whether that includes VAT or not, but even if it does it seems a bit steep... Presumably, if turnover is slow because of the high price, it will not be fresh after a while and sales will slow up even more as people will not want to buy anything other than the freshest, now it has BIO / FAME in it - may as well buy pump diesel that is rarely more than a few days old at £1-37p / litre for full propulsion use...

Nick

Esso in Lowestoft is 133.9 today and Shell 134.9

http://www.energyshare.com/dudbridge-locks-hydro

"why not?"

Mac

Whatever he does with the diesel, he is obliged to do the paperwork. A declaration must be signed by the buyer otherwise it is illegal to supply them with the fuel.