Report Unlicensed Boats!

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Are you seriously suggesting that if you saw an unlicensed boat you would approach the owner (or the person you assumed to be the owner) and say,

"Excuse me, old chap, but you don't appear to be displaying a licence, would you mind telling me why?". ???

Would you also throw in, "Oh, and your wife's a bit on the ugly side, too", for good measure?

beauty is in eye of the beholder so no i would not cause that type of offense.If you read my previous post you would have known that others not having a license would not worry me.However if did sufficiently then yes i would i did through school days and more recently,i have the lumps to prove it,so do the others.It was mainly to do with fair play and bulling that would make me put in my 2 penneth

Edited by greywolf

In any case, in a typical cruise of two or three hours, you might have to stop twenty or thirty times to have an amiable chat about a missing licence.

Nah - just jot down the numbers and report them - no licence? Get reported - got one but haven't displayed it? Tough.

If someone is spending a two to three hour cruise writing down numbers of twenty to thirty unlicenced boats, I think it is time to forget other people's licencing arrangements and look to their own. They are certainly not getting the best value from their licence fee if that's how they are spending their time afloat.

Natalie.

If someone is spending a two to three hour cruise writing down numbers of twenty to thirty unlicenced boats, I think it is time to forget other people's licencing arrangements and look to their own. They are certainly not getting the best value from their licence fee if that's how they are spending their time afloat.

Natalie.

Do you always pass judgement on how people choose to spend their time?

Personally, I can't understand how people can willingly choose to waste many hours of their life that they can never get back drowning maggots, but if they enjoy it, who am I to criticise.

Do you always pass judgement on how people choose to spend their time?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! If they've paid their day ticket to drown their maggot aren't they alright?

Well, :lol: as long as they bclean up their litter anyways.

Natalie.

You have not the slightest idea of how much enjoyment I get from my ten or twelve weeks spent each year cruising the canals and rivers with my wife and the dog. You are therefore in no position to judge whether I'm getting 'best value' from my licence fee.

Others have used terms like 'grass', 'curtain-twitcher' and 'aging, Daily Fail reading overlords' to describe me and others who are frequently annoyed enough by free-loaders to report them.

Sticks and stones dear, sticks and stones.

Others have used terms like 'grass', 'curtain-twitcher' and 'aging, Daily Fail reading overlords' to describe me and others who are frequently annoyed enough by free-loaders to report them.

Sticks and stones dear, sticks and stones.

was it not you who said this?

Are you nuts? Have you seen some of the crusties with no licences?

but then I guess as you say, sticks and stones.

You missed out a few:

Cowardly back-stabbers....

Purveyors of mistrust in the community....

to name but two.

Whatever happened to 'Love thy neighbour' ?

was it not you who said this?

but then I guess as you say, sticks and stones.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary definition of crusty is: giving an effect of surly incivility in address or disposition.

Does it for me. Perfectly accurate description of the appearance of many of those boat-dwellers who are not displaying a licence. They may be perfectly nice people who go to church on Sundays, but I wouldn't take the risk of crossing them in person. Would you?

Edited by homer2911

Merriam-Webster's dictionary definition of crusty is: giving an effect of surly incivility in address or disposition.

Does it for me. Perfectly accurate description of the appearance of many of those boat-dwellers who are not displaying a licence.

Perfectly accurate description of the appearance of many of those boat-dwellers who ARE displaying a licence......

There are crusties everywhere.

They may be perfectly nice people who go to church on Sundays,
Indeed so

but I wouldn't take the risk of crossing them in person. Would you?

"Crossing them" Sorry I do not understand why I would be "crossing them?" I would have no problems talking to them. Why would I?

I even talk to you lot and some on here are far more "crusty" than those I have met in real life.

But then I wouldn't ask them why their licence wasn't displayed.......I'd chat about life, boats the canal, the weather, beer etc. If they want to tell me that is up to them. if they didn't that also would be up to them.

You see I don't have a problem with unlicensed boats.

I would leave that carp to those who are........and if there was a "curtain twitcher" locally I would probably mention his/her existence especially after reading through this thread

Does it for me. Perfectly accurate description of the appearance of many of those boat-dwellers who are not displaying a licence. They may be perfectly nice people who go to church on Sundays, but I wouldn't take the risk of crossing them in person. Would you?

no need to shout crusty!!seems to describe you to a T

Well exactly why a bigot such as yourself should use an American dictionary when the OED will do is beyond me.

crusty, a. and n.

Senses in Dict. become A. adj. 1 and 2. Add: B. n. (Also crustie.) One of a group of homeless or vagrant young people, generally living by begging in cities, and characterized by rough clothes, matted, often dreadlocked hair, and an unkempt appearance; also, the name given to this subculture as a whole.

Do I really have to explain the difference between a noun (as used by you in your prejorative way) and the adjective which has been around since Elizabethan times. if you examine the etymology carefully you will see the word 'crusty' as applied to a sub-culture is more down to appearance than demeanour.

It is worth pointing out that the OED restricts its definition to "homeless or vagrant" people so your use of it to describe boat dwellers is incorrect.

Just a thought. If I report an unlicenced boat to BW, am I "snitching" or am I holding BW to account for not performing their duties? There are lots of comments on here about how BW don't do what it says on the tin, you wouldn't have a problem complaining about them not carrying out other parts of their job why is this any different?

It is worth pointing out that the OED restricts its definition to "homeless or vagrant" people so your use of it to describe boat dwellers is incorrect.

Actually, I believe that anybody who lives on board a boat is regarded as homeless by the law.

If you have a scrap of evidence to support that, please supply it.

not 'anybody who lives on a boat' but if you don't have a legal place to keep the boat you could well be technically 'homeless'

Edited by magnetman

Just a thought. If I report an unlicenced boat to BW, am I "snitching" or am I holding BW to account for not performing their duties?

Well as I've said before ... whatever makes people happy, just as long as they don't expect a medal, praise, respect, or even civility from me because of it.

Statutory definition of homelessness

Interesting that it refers to "accomodation" and not "premises" or "occupancy" so I think we'd struggle to fall within this legislation, if you haven't got somewhere to tie up you're homeless though, but I think even for CCers it's be difficult to argue you couldn't moor anywhere.

not 'anybody who lives on a boat' but if you don't have a legal place to keep the boat you could well be technically 'homeless'

I believe the CCers are the only legal boat liveaboards. with the the exception of holders of residential moorings

Sue

Once again I am appalled at the ambiguity of written legislation;

A person is also homeless if he has accommodation but it consists of a moveable structure, vehicle or vessel designed or adapted for human habitation and there is no place where he is entitled or permitted both to place it and to reside in it.

....doesn't really think it through does it?

I would argue that I am permitted to 'place' my boat on the canal and thus do not fall into this definition thought whether i am permitted to 'reside' in it is a little moot.

I know...why doesn't BW issue all license payers with a swipe card...and fit electonic swipe thingies to all locks, lift bridges,24/48 hour moorings, bridges etc etc...then provide all paid up boaters with massive galvanic isolators and then send millions of amps/volts thru the waterways system instantly dissolving unlicensed boats into rusty soup....Thus allowing only paid up boaters to enjoy the network......This would give the self-righteous grumblies their 'pound of flesh'..those boaters that aren't arsed...will continue to be 'not arsed'...and those who don't pay will have been zapped into oblivion..

Yeah Nighthawk saves the day!

A x

I would argue that I am permitted to 'place' my boat on the canal and thus do not fall into this definition thought whether i am permitted to 'reside' in it is a little moot.

I think, accepting that the bar on residence mooted in what became the '95 BW act having been removed you'd find the fetters on residence in mooring agreements and planning zonings rather than housing or boating law and I don't do planning law.

Oh, by the way Dave, regarding the earlier discussion re EU law, I'll apologise as it was the '72 European Communities Act (I knew there was a two in there) and this decision is cited as the best authority on the primacy of EU legislation over domestic law.

You'll note it's a boaty decision as well...

That'll teach me for spouting without looking it up won't it? :lol: