Hire Boats Gas Steet Basin in early 1960's

Lizzy J

Featured Posts

I've no idea how I missed this fabulous footage when the links to the "Beulah" films were first published.

This is almost exclusively about all types of BW hire boats of that era....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...38566&hl=un

Thats cracking isnt it.

- Full marks for the matchin photo of lock 18 too!

Thats cracking isnt it.

- Full marks for the matchin photo of lock 18 too!

Ah......just realised as I started watching this, I saw it yesterday! My parents bought us several DVD's for Christmas and this is included on one of them. We sat and watched it with a hope that Water Vole would appear, she didn't but the interiors of the other boats were very familiar to them. Fascinating stuff.

Liz

• 5 years later...

Hi John

Alan did indeed go on to Brummagem Boats, along with Julian and Barry Stanton. Their father had Kubina (ex Claytons gas boat) in thebasin then and Barry also bought Pearl from Claytons when they finished in 66. Barry still boats, Julian is around but not boating and I've no idea where Alan Green is these days.

Hi All,

I'm new here so, partly as an introduction, I have a reply and further questions on this thread. I e-mailed some of the following (re-edited) to the BCNS a week ago but have had no reply so far. It's Christmas, but I'm not a BCNS member so may never get a reply. Having just joined this Forum I'm hoping for success here.

I am Colin, in my late 50's and living in Transylvania for the past 21 years. I am trying to find some information about the BCN and some of its people from the mid-1970's. In the summer of 1975 I started to study Town Planning at the City of Birmingham Polytechnic - at that time located in a prefab on the canal bank at Aston Junction! Alan Green was my tutor, lecturer, and joint owner of Brummagem Boats.

As I was already an ardent canal enthusiast, Alan offered me a part job with Brummagem at weekends and college holidays. I worked on the hire boat fleet, cleaning and preparing boats for hirers and taking them for trial runs up the Main Line. On several occasions I was permitted to "borrow" a hire boat for my own forays into the BCN, alone and with friends. Gosty Hill Tunnel was my favourite destination!

I also worked a number of trips with Brummagem's two trip boats - the "Brummagem Fly" (ex-BWB Water Bus fleet, ex NB Corolla), and a second trip boat called (I think?) the "Euphrates Packet", presumably after Thomas Monk's passenger service of the early 1800's. Brummagem's "Packet" was not (I believe) an ex-working boat but was a more recent build - possibly a Canal Transport Services hull? I seem to recall that her steerer, with whom I worked on several occasions, was somebody called Ian - possibly Ian Kemp(?) - the latter being a name I remember from Gas Street. Whilst I was supposed to be working the boat's bar, he let me steer from time to time and taught me much about the BCN. There was also another steerer working those 2 trip boats, who lived on a working pair in Gas Street Basin - possibly one of Midland Canal Carriers boats?

As a student I took over a volunteer group working with children and elderly people in inner-city Birmingham. Amongst other things, we ran a youth club in Winson Green. Through this group I discovered the Hockley Port Community Project, running NB "Perch" (I think) as an unconverted working boat for youth trips around the BCN. I seem to recall that "Perch"s cabin was painted pale blue and white / pale grey at the time. I also seem to recall that "Perch" was run by Charlie & Marge Aldrick, or if not them, by another "Charlie" (but not Charlie Atkins Jnr)? The favourite route was through Netherton and back. I'm sure I have a few photos somewhere - I must try to find them!

I also recall somebody in those circles - possible Charlie & Marge(?) - living on, or regularly cruising the BCN on - a short-ish tug, maybe around 45 ft, painted grey, or grey and maroon. I don't remember the boat's name. I do seem to remember slightly odd-looking sloping fore and aft ends to the cabin, reminiscent of the photos of "James Loader" on Nick Holt's BCN Tugs Series at www.inlanding.wordpress.com. Maybe the tug was the "Christopher James"?

I gave up on the Town Planning course, but the voluntary experience with youth groups led me into a career working with children in Walsall, later in Kent (for 17 years) and later still in Romania - which is where I have been for the last 21 years! Whilst working in Kent I pioneered narrowboat holidays for groups of children with special needs, hiring 70 ft boats from Willow Wren and Middlewich Narrowboats for several consecutive summers. All much to the concern of my employers, but all highly successful!

I came to live in Romania in 1994 and started a small travel company here in 1997. Now in my late 50's I am starting to think of what comes next, and eventual "retirement". I am thinking seriously about a return to Britain in a few years time and buying a live-aboard narrowboat.

I would be very interested in any confirmation or clues as to the identities of the people and boats mentioned above, especially Alan Green, Charlie & Marge Aldrick, Ian (Kemp ?) and the Brummagem trip boat crews, whether the "Perch" from Hockley Port is the same "Perch" recently restored to full working boat glory, and the identity of the grey tug? Are any of those people still around? Any pointers to information in the CWDF archives on the above subjects would be most welcome.

With Greetings of the Season, Colin - in a wintery Transylvania!

Hi All,

I'm new here so, partly as an introduction, I have a reply and further questions on this thread. I e-mailed some of the following (re-edited) to the BCNS a week ago but have had no reply so far. It's Christmas, but I'm not a BCNS member so may never get a reply. Having just joined this Forum I'm hoping for success here.

I am Colin, in my late 50's and living in Transylvania for the past 21 years. I am trying to find some information about the BCN and some of its people from the mid-1970's. In the summer of 1975 I started to study Town Planning at the City of Birmingham Polytechnic - at that time located in a prefab on the canal bank at Aston Junction! Alan Green was my tutor, lecturer, and joint owner of Brummagem Boats.

As I was already an ardent canal enthusiast, Alan offered me a part job with Brummagem at weekends and college holidays. I worked on the hire boat fleet, cleaning and preparing boats for hirers and taking them for trial runs up the Main Line. On several occasions I was permitted to "borrow" a hire boat for my own forays into the BCN, alone and with friends. Gosty Hill Tunnel was my favourite destination!

I also worked a number of trips with Brummagem's two trip boats - the "Brummagem Fly" (ex-BWB Water Bus fleet, ex NB Corolla), and a second trip boat called (I think?) the "Euphrates Packet", presumably after Thomas Monk's passenger service of the early 1800's. Brummagem's "Packet" was not (I believe) an ex-working boat but was a more recent build - possibly a Canal Transport Services hull? I seem to recall that her steerer, with whom I worked on several occasions, was somebody called Ian - possibly Ian Kemp(?) - the latter being a name I remember from Gas Street. Whilst I was supposed to be working the boat's bar, he let me steer from time to time and taught me much about the BCN. There was also another steerer working those 2 trip boats, who lived on a working pair in Gas Street Basin - possibly one of Midland Canal Carriers boats?

As a student I took over a volunteer group working with children and elderly people in inner-city Birmingham. Amongst other things, we ran a youth club in Winson Green. Through this group I discovered the Hockley Port Community Project, running NB "Perch" (I think) as an unconverted working boat for youth trips around the BCN. I seem to recall that "Perch"s cabin was painted pale blue and white / pale grey at the time. I also seem to recall that "Perch" was run by Charlie & Marge Aldrick, or if not them, by another "Charlie" (but not Charlie Atkins Jnr)? The favourite route was through Netherton and back. I'm sure I have a few photos somewhere - I must try to find them!

I also recall somebody in those circles - possible Charlie & Marge(?) - living on, or regularly cruising the BCN on - a short-ish tug, maybe around 45 ft, painted grey, or grey and maroon. I don't remember the boat's name. I do seem to remember slightly odd-looking sloping fore and aft ends to the cabin, reminiscent of the photos of "James Loader" on Nick Holt's BCN Tugs Series at www.inlanding.wordpress.com. Maybe the tug was the "Christopher James"?

I gave up on the Town Planning course, but the voluntary experience with youth groups led me into a career working with children in Walsall, later in Kent (for 17 years) and later still in Romania - which is where I have been for the last 21 years! Whilst working in Kent I pioneered narrowboat holidays for groups of children with special needs, hiring 70 ft boats from Willow Wren and Middlewich Narrowboats for several consecutive summers. All much to the concern of my employers, but all highly successful!

I came to live in Romania in 1994 and started a small travel company here in 1997. Now in my late 50's I am starting to think of what comes next, and eventual "retirement". I am thinking seriously about a return to Britain in a few years time and buying a live-aboard narrowboat.

I would be very interested in any confirmation or clues as to the identities of the people and boats mentioned above, especially Alan Green, Charlie & Marge Aldrick, Ian (Kemp ?) and the Brummagem trip boat crews, whether the "Perch" from Hockley Port is the same "Perch" recently restored to full working boat glory, and the identity of the grey tug? Are any of those people still around? Any pointers to information in the CWDF archives on the above subjects would be most welcome.

I was running Hatchford Brooke Youth Centre in Soloihull in1974, and we hired a 72ft narrowboat from a company in Birmingham. I cannot remember much about the company or the boat, although I am fairly certain the boat was not a converted ex-working boat, and we collected it from somewhere between Gas Street and Aston Flyover.

Somewhere I have a few photos, which i will try to dig out and scan it may be the same company as there were very few hire boat companies back then.

Edited by David Schweizer

Gas St. basin, and its fleets of camping, carrying, trip and hire boats was very busy in the early 70s. There were many characters there, such as "Mark the Dark", "Nick the window", "Reg the dredge" and also others such as Sam and Vi Minton and their son John (tragically killed in a road accident) and Harry and Flo. I could reminisce for hours about the goings-on there ( but some are unrepeatable!)

Hi All,

Although I did not know them very well I recall Charlie and Marge Aldrick living at Hockley Port on an old 'wooden header' motor named RICHARD. I am sure that they had moved on by the mid 1980's.

The PERCH that you have mentioned is the same PERCH that has recently been restored, Hockley Port having sold it in about 1986.

The wooden tug with sloping cabin ends was CHRISTOPHER JAMES, purchased in 1975 by Eric and Betty Foakes (CHRISTOPHER JAMES was the first ex-commercial 'historic' motor narrow boat that I ever steered) and was powered by 3 cylinder Armstrong Siddley air cooled diesel engine.

I would imagine that Brummagem Boats would have employed numerous steerers in the 1970's for their trip boats. A friend of mine, Geoff Munro being a previous steerer of the COROLLA / BRUMMAGEM FLY. Brummagem Boats moved 'around the corner' to Sherborne Street Wharf in about 1977, and I was based there from 1979 to 1985 - and again from 1988 to 1990.

My parents, before they were married, in 1962 (they think) hired a boat with another couple for a weeks holiday. They picked it up in Gas Street basin and travelled to both Warwick and Stratford upon Avon.

I have only just realised that this was a relatively unusual thing to do back then and have been trying to jog their memories about what they saw. They were rather purturbed at Gas Street Basin when they arrived and remember some parts of the trip as being full of hazards, very shallow bits, overhanging cables etc. We are also hoping to dig some photographs out as both my dad and his friend were keen photographers at the time.

Does anyone know who the hire boat company was likely to have been?

Many Thanks

There were two hire boats operated at that time from various locations, including Birmingham, by someone called Jones who lived, I think, in Alvechurch. They were made from the two ends of a Railway boat, one called 'Nene' and the other one 'Windrush'. Both had centre cockpits with wheel steering, inboard petrol engines and leaked like sieves, above and below the waterline. They did trade under a company name, but I can't at the moment remember what that was.

I was running Hatchford Brooke Youth Centre in Soloihull in1974, and we hired a 72ft narrowboat from a company in Birmingham. I cannot remember much about the company or the boat, although I am fairly certain the boat was not a converted ex-working boat, and we collected it from somewhere between Gas Street and Aston Flyover.

Somewhere I have a few photos, which i will try to dig out and scan it may be the same company as there were very few hire boat companies back then.

Unless it was a Midland Canal Carriers camping boat from Gas Street Basin, I have no idea here? The photos would be helpful.....

There were two hire boats operated at that time from various locations, including Birmingham, by someone called Jones who lived, I think, in Alvechurch. They were made from the two ends of a Railway boat, one called 'Nene' and the other one 'Windrush'. Both had centre cockpits with wheel steering, inboard petrol engines and leaked like sieves, above and below the waterline. They did trade under a company name, but I can't at the moment remember what that was.

Tony, just reading a book I got for Christmas. The surname Dunkley crops up a few times, first name Albert i think (book not in front of my at the mo). Any relation?

Forum member 'Laurie Booth' made an excellent video of this years BCN Challenge. Hawne Basin features heavily as it was the finish point.

Hope this will be of interest to you.

Very nice - thank you! There's a few shots of a nice looking boat called ALBION on the video, with some bloke wearing camouflage and a skin coloured hat standing on the counter..... Would that be yerself Junior?? wink.png

Ian Kemp is Busy restoring boats at Dadfords shed on the Stourbridge 16. Occasionally he builds a new one off special, ..........

Some superb shots of their work on their FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/ifkemprestorationservices/photos_stream . Looks like First Class workmanship. A few of the shots show a guy with glasses and a "pudding basin" haircut doing most of the work. Would that be Ian K? I don't recognise him (from Gas Street in 1975/6)......

Edited by rovingrom

Although I did not know them very well I recall Charlie and Marge Aldrick living at Hockley Port on an old 'wooden header' motor named RICHARD. I am sure that they had moved on by the mid 1980's.

The PERCH that you have mentioned is the same PERCH that has recently been restored, Hockley Port having sold it in about 1986.

The wooden tug with sloping cabin ends was CHRISTOPHER JAMES, purchased in 1975 by Eric and Betty Foakes (CHRISTOPHER JAMES was the first ex-commercial 'historic' motor narrow boat that I ever steered) and was powered by 3 cylinder Armstrong Siddley air cooled diesel engine.

I would imagine that Brummagem Boats would have employed numerous steerers in the 1970's for their trip boats. A friend of mine, Geoff Munro being a previous steerer of the COROLLA / BRUMMAGEM FLY. Brummagem Boats moved 'around the corner' to Sherborne Street Wharf in about 1977, and I was based there from 1979 to 1985 - and again from 1988 to 1990.

Thank you for that Pete! Yes - Eric and Betty Foakes - I remember them well, a delightful couple. So that was the Christopher James? That's sorted 2 of my questions! And PERCH Makes 3!

When I was there in 1975/6 the Brummagem hire fleet was already at Sherborne Street but, as you say, the trip boats operated from Gas Street. I doubt there would have been room for them at Sherborne St - it was pretty crowded there. But anyway Gas Street was a much better location for the trip boat passengers...

I've found a few colour slides of the area at that time, and of the boats on the bar at Gas Street. But none of Hockley Port or the people. I'll scan and post those I have in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile any information about the whereabouts of the Aldrick family, Alan Green, the Stantons of Brummagem, or other steerers who worked the Brummagem trip boats in the mid-70's, would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks all! smile.png

Gas St. basin, and its fleets of camping, carrying, trip and hire boats was very busy in the early 70s. There were many characters there, such as "Mark the Dark", "Nick the window", "Reg the dredge" and also others such as Sam and Vi Minton and their son John (tragically killed in a road accident) and Harry and Flo. I could reminisce for hours about the goings-on there ( but some are unrepeatable!)

Sam Minton? Now THAT name rings a bell - did he steer for the Brummagem trip boats in the mid-70's, or was he the Midland Canal Carriers guy? Anything you can add - excepting the unrepeatable - would be much appreciated!

Edited by rovingrom

Sam and Vi Minton lived on a small boat called the "Mavis" but they didn't work on the boats. I don't recall Midland canal Carriers in Gas St at that time, the camping boats were leased from Birmingham and Midland for the summer in 1974-6, and during the winter the steerers did their own thing. The "Yeoford" and "Ash" were at that time painted blue and yellow and lettered "Associated Carriers"

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.24.41

Sam and Vi Minton lived on a small boat called the "Mavis" but they didn't work on the boats. I don't recall Midland canal Carriers in Gas St at that time, the camping boats were leased from Birmingham and Midland for the summer in 1974-6, and during the winter the steerers did their own thing. The "Yeoford" and "Ash" were at that time painted blue and yellow and lettered "Associated Carriers" http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.24.41

Ah yes - Birmingham and Midland, NOT Midland Canal Carriers - my mistake. Yeoford and Ash I remember. Do you know who was living on them at the time?

Tony, just reading a book I got for Christmas. The surname Dunkley crops up a few times, first name Albert i think (book not in front of my at the mo). Any relation?

Without seeing the book, or knowing a bit more about it, I can't really be sure exactly what you're asking about. I did work a motor called 'Albert' at one time, with 'Pictor' and there was a Bert Dunkley around the cut some years ago ( very distant relation as far as we were able to establish) who appears extensively in the photo archive that C&RT are cataloging at the moment.

Unless it was a Midland Canal Carriers camping boat from Gas Street Basin, I have no idea here? The photos would be helpful.....

Definitely not MCC and definitely not a camping boat. The boat was full (or almost full) length, it had a small cabin at the back and then a gap betwen that and the main cabin. I have found the photos but they have all been taken by someone on the roof and only show the back end or front end. I know we moored overnight at Fradley Junction so looking at the maps, Cuckoo Wharf seems a likely departure point. I remember it was in a pretty run down area.

If I can remember how to get the slide copier working I will post a couple of the photos.

Without seeing the book, or knowing a bit more about it, I can't really be sure exactly what you're asking about. I did work a motor called 'Albert' at one time, with 'Pictor' and there was a Bert Dunkley around the cut some years ago ( very distant relation as far as we were able to establish) who appears extensively in the photo archive that C&RT are cataloging at the moment.

Actually, i think Bert may have been the name mentioned in the book now you mention it. It was one of Tom Foxon's book where he says he spent his summer months doing trip boating with somebody of the surname Dunkley.

Pete Do you know recall the name of the guy who owned Christopher James in the mid 60's, IIRC he lived in a cottage near the pub below Cheswerdine winding hole, again IIRC he had some thing to do with pottery as he used to market miniature pottery narrow boats the holds of which were flower pots/ holders + other pottery canal related items It was at the time Bunny Bunford lived in a house just on the Norbury side of the winding hole so Giffard was also moored there

Edited by X Alan W

Alan Green was my tutor, lecturer, and joint owner of Brummagem Boats.

I would be very interested in any confirmation or clues as to the identities of the people and boats mentioned above, especially Alan Green, Charlie & Marge Aldrick, Ian (Kemp ?) and the Brummagem trip boat crews,

A Brummagem boat I hired.

bea2.jpg

beav5.jpg

beav4.jpg

This boat was the reason I had to get my own boat.

Definitely not MCC and definitely not a camping boat. The boat was full (or almost full) length, it had a small cabin at the back and then a gap betwen that and the main cabin. I have found the photos but they have all been taken by someone on the roof and only show the back end or front end. I know we moored overnight at Fradley Junction so looking at the maps, Cuckoo Wharf seems a likely departure point. I remember it was in a pretty run down area.

If I can remember how to get the slide copier working I will post a couple of the photos.

The boat would have been Bert Dunkley's ex-Barlows wooden motor "Prince."

Edited by Paul H