Hire Boats Gas Steet Basin in early 1960's

Lizzy J

Featured Posts

My parents, before they were married, in 1962 (they think) hired a boat with another couple for a weeks holiday. They picked it up in Gas Street basin and travelled to both Warwick and Stratford upon Avon.

I have only just realised that this was a relatively unusual thing to do back then and have been trying to jog their memories about what they saw. They were rather purturbed at Gas Street Basin when they arrived and remember some parts of the trip as being full of hazards, very shallow bits, overhanging cables etc. We are also hoping to dig some photographs out as both my dad and his friend were keen photographers at the time.

Does anyone know who the hire boat company was likely to have been?

Many Thanks

Hi Liz

I was around Gas St in the mid 60's. The only hire boat I recall was "Lady Helen", operated by an acquaintance called Dick Lewin, tho I wouldn't have thought he was there in 62. Are you sure your folks went to Stratford? The southern Stratford wasn't reopened until 1964 (Iwas there), perhaps they went to Lapworth and picked up the Grand Union to Warwick?

Can any other greybeards add to this? Hire craft from Gas St in the early 60s? Perhaps it was an enterprising private boater?....

Cheers

Dave Moore

Hi Liz

I was around Gas St in the mid 60's. The only hire boat I recall was "Lady Helen", operated by an acquaintance called Dick Lewin, tho I wouldn't have thought he was there in 62. Are you sure your folks went to Stratford? The southern Stratford wasn't reopened until 1964 (Iwas there), perhaps they went to Lapworth and picked up the Grand Union to Warwick?

Can any other greybeards add to this? Hire craft from Gas St in the early 60s? Perhaps it was an enterprising private boater?....

Cheers

Dave Moore

Yes, I did wonder about the date as I knew the official opening of the basin was in 1964. They do however clearly recall mooring near the Theatre and spending the evening there. They also recall that the other end of the basin seemed quite 'weedy' and having seen some 'photo's in the History of IWA book I can imagine. I am seeing them this weekend and hope to extract some more information and 'photo's.

Regards

Liz

Hi Liz

Cheers

Dave Moore

It could have been British Waterways themselves who operated a number of hire cruisers converted from half working boats at the time. They seemed to have tried operating from a variety of bases (sometimes for only a year) and Gas Street could well have been one of them particularly as they were operating a trip boat there for a while. If it was a little later to tie in with the Stratford Canal (see Dave's posting) then Birmingham and Midland Canal Carrying Co tried operating a pleasure boat from Gas Street I believe in 1965.

Far too young to remember though.

We'd all be fascinated to see the photos Liz and then I'm sure could help more.

Paul H

I'm actually wondering just how many hire firms generally were going by 1962, let alone ones based in Gas Street.

It would be interesting to know, but I'm guessing it was not very many.

I'm thinking the majority of boats hired would have been cabin cruisers or working boat conversions. I do know that outfits like "Wyvern Shipping" were operating then, but not I think with purpose built boats.

When was the first Harborough Marine boat, as they seemed to be the mainstay of the early purpose built narrowboats?

I'm sure I've seen record of formation of hire companies in the Hertfordshire area, but I'm damned if I can remember where.

Do any pictures survive of this 1962(-ish) trip? That might jog someones memories.

Do any pictures survive of this 1962(-ish) trip? That might jog someones memories.

I am pressing them to dig some out, both my father and his friend who went with them were keen photographers at the time. I only recall seeing one picture in the past but am sure there must be more. I will keep you posted.

Regards

It could have been British Waterways themselves who operated a number of hire cruisers converted from half working boats at the time. They seemed to have tried operating from a variety of bases (sometimes for only a year) and Gas Street could well have been one of them particularly as they were operating a trip boat there for a while.

Ah!

Why didn't I think of that!

Our families first ever canal boat was an ex BW hire cruiser, or a type known as "Water Baby". I was led to believe they operated about 30 of these, but I don't know dates. (Some ended up attached to the maintenace depots).

Rudimentary doesn't describe them. They were tiny, with very low cabins, and little more space inside than for two very small berths. They could only have had a primus stove, I think, although we managed just to shoehorn in a 2 burner Camping gaz stove.

Sanitation arrangements were the same as on working boats - a galvanised bucket, painted BW blue, (but there was nowhere private to use the facility).

Here's ours, (the boat, not the bucket)....

Water_Baby_Gnat_on_Wendover_Arm.jpg

They also operated a larger size of plywood boat, but in smaller numbers. Both types of boat feature on some of the Salmon postcards of the era - there's one I recall taken outside the waterways museum at Stoke Bruerne.

As Paul said the also operated cut about working boats, and later a type of steel boat that had all the design flair of the organisation that brought you Thurlwood Steel Lock and hydraulic paddle gear.

.....and his friend who went with them were keen photographers at the time.

Ah if there was at least 3 of them, forget the "Water Baby" idea.

Unless someone slept under the canvas cover at the back, sleeping 3 wasn't possible in one of these.

As Paul said the also operated cut about working boats, and later a type of steel boat that had all the design flair of the organisation that brought you Thurlwood Steel Lock and hydraulic paddle gear.

It was definately a narrowboat rather than a cruiser and my dad seems to think it had an engine room, so a converted working boat would seem most likely.

I know it wasn't as late as 1965 because they got married that year and went to Wales for their honeymoon. My mother was a teacher so one holidat a year was taken in July or August.

Regards

It was definately a narrowboat rather than a cruiser and my dad seems to think it had an engine room, so a converted working boat would seem most likely.

I know it wasn't as late as 1965 because they got married that year and went to Wales for their honeymoon. My mother was a teacher so one holidat a year was taken in July or August.

Regards

Are you certain it was actually in Gas St? I don't remember any hire firm from this date located there.There was an early hire company that used to operate in what used to be called (Is it still?) the Hospital Pound. This is the length between the bottom of Farmer's Bridge, and the top of Aston. Ageing brain cells will not re-call this firms name at the moment. When, and if, they decide to kick in again, I'll let you know.

Hi John

In the 70s there was a hire boat operation run by Alan Green which I think was called Planet Cruisers, from I think, somewhere down Farmers Bridge or between the bottom and top of Aston (or were theydown Aston? Can't remember) A friend hired from them and I went to help. I don't recall BMCCC running a hire boat from Gas St, tho Anson was converted to a party boat early on.

Liz do let us have pictures ASAP....it was my understanding that the Stratford was under restoration in 62, so can't see how it could have been passable from Lapworth. Is that your Glenfield at Salt on the T&M? Passed it earlier today, I remember Albert Brookes having it in the 60s.

Let us know more

Dave

Hi John

In the 70s there was a hire boat operation run by Alan Green which I think was called Planet Cruisers, from I think, somewhere down Farmers Bridge or between the bottom and top of Aston (or were theydown Aston? Can't remember) A friend hired from them and I went to help. I don't recall BMCCC running a hire boat from Gas St, tho Anson was converted to a party boat early on.

Liz do let us have pictures ASAP....it was my understanding that the Stratford was under restoration in 62, so can't see how it could have been passable from Lapworth. Is that your Glenfield at Salt on the T&M? Passed it earlier today, I remember Albert Brookes having it in the 60s.

Let us know more

Dave

Hello Dave-yup, that's it, Planet Cruisers, or Planet Fleet(?). On reflection I don't think they were there as early as Lizzy's parent's trip. Didn't Alan Green start up Brummagem Boats a bit later?

My parents are certain about Gas Street Basin.

They now think it may well have been British Waterways who hired them the boat. It would make sense as they would have had to find about about it on a national basis as they lived in Hull, so it wasn't local knowledge.

There are only two photo's in their well labelled photograph album and they are dated July 1962. Unfortunately they show more of the people and their fashion sense than the boat! It was however definately a narrowboat which my Dad recalls had top opening windows which let in lot of water when they went through locks, all of which leaked an awful lot. They do recall working a lot of locks.

They are going to try and contact the widow of the chap who travelled with them as she may have more 'photo's.

Dave: Yes it is our Glenfield at Salt, what do you remember of her from the 1960's? Apart from waterways history generally, tracing Glenfield's history is my other hobby at the moment. We know she was converted by Albert Brookes but I would like to know more about her earlier history.

Regards

Hello Dave-yup, that's it, Planet Cruisers, or Planet Fleet(?). On reflection I don't think they were there as early as Lizzy's parent's trip. Didn't Alan Green start up Brummagem Boats a bit later?

Hi John

Alan did indeed go on to Brummagem Boats, along with Julian and Barry Stanton. Their father had Kubina (ex Claytons gas boat) in thebasin then and Barry also bought Pearl from Claytons when they finished in 66. Barry still boats, Julian is around but not boating and I've no idea where Alan Green is these days.

My parents are certain about Gas Street Basin.

They now think it may well have been British Waterways who hired them the boat. It would make sense as they would have had to find about about it on a national basis as they lived in Hull, so it wasn't local knowledge.

There are only two photo's in their well labelled photograph album and they are dated July 1962. Unfortunately they show more of the people and their fashion sense than the boat! It was however definately a narrowboat which my Dad recalls had top opening windows which let in lot of water when they went through locks, all of which leaked an awful lot. They do recall working a lot of locks.

They are going to try and contact the widow of the chap who travelled with them as she may have more 'photo's.

Dave: Yes it is our Glenfield at Salt, what do you remember of her from the 1960's? Apart from waterways history generally, tracing Glenfield's history is my other hobby at the moment. We know she was converted by Albert Brookes but I would like to know more about her earlier history.

Hi Liz I can't help with specifics of earlier days ( I was only young then!) but Albert was part of the boating scene in those days. I'm in regular touch with Martin, his son, who works in the boating business and will happily put you in touch if you wish. He's a mine of info. Both he and Albert were around the Allens yard at Oldbury.

Interestingly, I was passed at Aston lock on Sunday morning by "Glenfield No 2" the boat that Albert had the Allens build to replace yours. Ring on 07831 243001 if I can help further. Certainly I know others who may be able to help

Cheers

Dave

Regards

• 1 month later...

Finally got a bit more information. The trip was in 1963 and my parents didn't navigate into Stratford, it hadn't been 'cleaned out', they got a train from somewhere adjacent!

The boat however was a BW one and called 'Water Vole' and definately went from Gas street basin. As fare as I can tell, mainly from previous threads on this forum, Water Vole was/is Kelso and was cut down by BW in the late 1950's.

There are about 15 pictures on slides which when I get to see them (they are on loan) I will hopefully scan and see if there are any identifying features of both the canals and the boat.

Regards

I'm actually wondering just how many hire firms generally were going by 1962, let alone ones based in Gas Street.

It would be interesting to know, but I'm guessing it was not very many.

I have a copy of the lock keeper's log from Braunston covers late 1961 to early 1965. In addition to the working boats plying up and down (BW, Willow Wren, Blue Line) the pleasure boat passages are also listed and totals given for the periods. Many have the 'Water' prefix and I believe BW operated them out of Hilmorton. There are other boats that are regulars in the area which implies they are hire boats. Some I recall are prefixed 'Aylesbury'

When I've a few minutes to spare I'll try to dig it out and note some of the names....

BTW, 'Kelso's Slave' is a member on here.

Hi Liz

Cheers

Dave Moore

I have a very vague recollection of going to a "Hire Boat Exhibition" staged by the BWB at Gas Street in the early 1960's where there were a number of BWB Hire Craft that you could see over and I think the inspection launch "Kingfisher ?"was also there . I seem to remember seeing a photo of the occasion in a book recently but cant think which one.

It's hard to judge from Matt's picture what the back end looks like now.

My memory is that some of those boats cut by BW to make hire cruisers had a pretty unsympathetic stern added, and may well have been a transom like stern that was also used on their purpose built hire boats. They may also have had "bollard"s a bit like the top of old metal washing line posts - certainly some purpose built boats did.

I think some of the conversions had a cabin with a highly rounded roof, but I can't recall in what material - GRP / fibreglass, possibly ? I'm thinking of something mirroring the style of their London Water Buses.

It would be interesting to know the years between which BW operated such boats, and from where.

I look forward to Lizzie's pictures, once she can post them.

Alan

I have a copy of the lock keeper's log from Braunston covers late 1961 to early 1965. In addition to the working boats plying up and down (BW, Willow Wren, Blue Line) the pleasure boat passages are also listed and totals given for the periods. Many have the 'Water' prefix and I believe BW operated them out of Hilmorton. There are other boats that are regulars in the area which implies they are hire boats. Some I recall are prefixed 'Aylesbury'

When I've a few minutes to spare I'll try to dig it out and note some of the names....

BTW, 'Kelso's Slave' is a member on here.

If you go to http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html, I have scanned an old c1960 BW holiday brochure with pictures of the types of boat available. I do have a separate brochure for the Water Baby which gives more details.

If you go to http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html, I have scanned an old c1960 BW holiday brochure with pictures of the types of boat available. I do have a separate brochure for the Water Baby which gives more details.

Really interesting Mike.

Is there any more of the brochure that gives clues as to where the hire bases were, (or what a hiring cost!).

Not relevant to this thread, but I'd be very interested in any additional information you have on the Water Babies. As I said, our first family boat (late 1960s, early 1970s) was one, but other than seeing others about, or them cropping up on the occasional postcard, we were never able to find out much about them. I doubt you would find much market now for a boat advertised for weekly hire, but where the sole sanitation arrangements were a galvanised bucket, painted in BW blue!

Alan

I think the tops were GRP and there may be at least one still around . I met a chap at Gailey a couple of years ago and his boat looked like a Josher hull with rounded GRP roofed cabin - I think it was called Water Lupin .

I have been trying to recall what fleets were operating round or would be seen in the BCN area in the 1960's and have come up with the following names , can anyone confirm or add to the list .

Bijou Line - Penkridge

Double Pennant - Wolverhampton

Lady Line - Market Drayton and Barbridge

Swan Line - Fradley

Anglo Welsh - Stratford (May not have been till early 1970's)

Willow Wren Cruisers - Rugby ( were operating working boat conversions and broads type cruisers with stuart turner engines)

Canal Cruising Co - Stone

Maid Boats (Midlands) - Brinklow

Western Cruisers - Stratford on Avon

I think the tops were GRP and there may be at least one still around . I met a chap at Gailey a couple of years ago and his boat looked like a Josher hull with rounded GRP roofed cabin - I think it was called Water Lupin .

I don't think they were originally GRP - more like painted canvas over wood but they could well have been sheathed over since. There are one or two of these boats still around with similar cabins - yes Water Lupin (the bow of my old Josher Gorse) is one of them although it has been significantly lengthened in recent years.

Paul H

I don't think they were originally GRP - more like painted canvas over wood but they could well have been sheathed over since. There are one or two of these boats still around with similar cabins - yes Water Lupin (the bow of my old Josher Gorse) is one of them although it has been significantly lengthened in recent years.

Paul H

Yes, you could well be right about those cabins.

I'm very surprised, whilst looking for something else, to find apparent evidence of BW operating hire boats right into the early 1970s.

Check out the boat on the extreme right here, on the water point at Stoke Bruerne.....

Stoke_Bruerne.jpg

It's definitely sporting a BW logo, I think. It's hard to tell much more about the boat though.

EDIT: To say that Carl is right, I'm a plonker, and it's a Hoseason's not a BW hire boat. :lol:

I assume that to be a Foxton Boat Services pair locking through. Our old friend Baldock, possibly ?

EDIT: Now fully expect to be told I've cocked up on this too!

Edited by alan_fincher

Really interesting Mike.

Is there any more of the brochure that gives clues as to where the hire bases were, (or what a hiring cost!).

Not relevant to this thread, but I'd be very interested in any additional information you have on the Water Babies. As I said, our first family boat (late 1960s, early 1970s) was one, but other than seeing others about, or them cropping up on the occasional postcard, we were never able to find out much about them. I doubt you would find much market now for a boat advertised for weekly hire, but where the sole sanitation arrangements were a galvanised bucket, painted in BW blue!

Alan

Alan,

I have added a few more scans, http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/images.html, which may be of interest. They are from two general BW hire boat brochures from 1960 and 1962, with one for the Water Baby class from 1962. No base is mentioned, but I suspect that you could hire from any BW office or yard that was convenient for the boat's usage.

Mike