What happened to Bob a Job

Capey

Featured Posts

Having only done them twice, both times coming close to ending in my third divorce, I thought the other day, with our impending third trip up, why dont local scouts, sea scouts etc, earn some extra money by working the locks for those of us either too unfit (Ok I want to hear no comments about "heat, Kitchens or getting out OK!"). I cant do them, ( I am a delicate little thing - nah - just have a bad back) and the Kikmeister is about ready to drop dead by the end.

Unless of course someone out there does know. I swear I have even offered to pay a friend £100 to just work them for us - but sadly he refused to wear the scout uniform, something about a woggle ???

:P

Not of any help but 'bob a job' was stopped because of the perceived danger to the scouts, knocking on strangers doors and asking if they wanted anything done. :P

Apparently little old ladies were the worst.

It's a great idea, but scouting and guiding unfortunately has come under the influence of the heath and safety monster and as a result everything has to be risk assessed.

While we all know the risks of boating are relatively minimal compared to some, but when it has to be worded like "We will be letting children operate industrial mechanical machinery to move gallons of water and a siginificant flow from oneside of a heavy wooden gate to another, with most of the machinery being located at or near the waters edge, and at times requiring children to climb over slippy lock gates with a hand rail on one side and a drop into the water on the other where the risks could be drowing, leptospirosis(!?!) injury from trapping fingers in mechanisms, slipping, over exersion, sprains and strains from opening gates, trapping of limbs near to boats, getting mashed by the propeller and any number of other risks. Plus they would need trianing, full buoyancy aid, trained lifeguards on standby etc. It's no wonder that these activities die out!

It's much safer to pack bags in sainsbury's where the greatest risk is from the customer who's bread they just squashed!

Once we arrived at the bottom of Hatton to find a camping boat from UCC about to go up the flight - filled with a party of Scouts. It wasn't Bob-a-Job week, but they were all keen to go their good deeds for the day and wouldn't let us do any of the gates or paddles. It was the easiest trip up the flight we've ever had.

Not of any help but 'bob a job' was stopped because of the perceived danger to the scouts, knocking on strangers doors and asking if they wanted anything done. :P

Apparently little old ladies were the worst.

Perhaps an apocrophical story but it was once suggested that a naive girl guide leader proposed that they should have their own version of "bob a job" called "willing for a shilling."

Ah, innocent times!

Paul H

Are there any boy scouts still around? Rumour has it most of em got rodgered to death by their scout masters back in the 70s.Not that I believe these rumours you understand. Grown men in shorts wearing a whistle and a woggle and wanting to play with small boys. What on earth could be more natural.Many retired scout masters are believed to have disposed of the shorts in favour of long trousers and annoracks and can now be found loitering around airports and train stations in pursuit of their new hobby.They do I believe still wear the whistle but not so sure about the woggle.

Perhaps an apocrophical story but it was once suggested that a naive girl guide leader proposed that they should have their own version of "bob a job" called "willing for a shilling."Ah, innocent times!Paul H
New a couple during my adolecence years who had their own slant on this. Bob a blow - job. They were never short of a shilling. (Mine mostly :P )

Just a reminder that the Scout Association is still going strong - it celebrated its centenary last year. It is far and away the largest youth organisation in the world. You can count the numbers countries on the fingers of one hand that do not have them. In this country many many volunteers spend a large amount of time each week helping young members of our society become responsible members (both male and female) of it. If you don't know anything about the movement don't take the ...... alternatively do a quick Google search for contact and become a member of it.

I like the idea Capey. My sister is a scout leader. Unfortunately she does have trouble with a couple of parents who refuse to let their little darlings do anything much at all. One insisted on picking up his boys (of about 9 or 10) halfway around a planned walk, because he felt it was too far for them - at about 2 miles!! Not sure what he'd make of them doing locks!

When they went on camp, scouts were instructed not to bring mobile phones. Parents were given numbers of leaders not on camp for emergency use, and asked not to contact the leaders who were on camp. Camp leader received phone call from one mum, asking her to lend the scout some money as he'd spent all his (on sweets and souvenirs only) - and had phoned her on his mobile to ask for more. With parents like that out there, what hope is there for teaching the kids some independence and self-reliance??

• 2 months later...
Having only done them twice, both times coming close to ending in my third divorce, I thought the other day, with our impending third trip up, why dont local scouts, sea scouts etc, earn some extra money by working the locks for those of us either too unfit (Ok I want to hear no comments about "heat, Kitchens or getting out OK!"). I cant do them, ( I am a delicate little thing - nah - just have a bad back) and the Kikmeister is about ready to drop dead by the end.

Unless of course someone out there does know. I swear I have even offered to pay a friend £100 to just work them for us - but sadly he refused to wear the scout uniform, something about a woggle ???

:(

Well, if you want to be a wimp about it, I'm sure Andy and Liz could supply a couple of scouts.

Not sure that I believe the "delicate little thing" though.

alternatively do a quick Google search for contact and become a member of it.

Only if you're a Christian or have some kind of faith, though.

I was a Scout for 15 years and it did me good- helped gain independance, self reliance, and all that lot. If I can cope with makign a three course meal in the middle of nowhere on an open fire, I can cope with most things life throws at me :(