masking tape !!!!

STIG

Featured Posts

A little assistance required ??!!

So when I`m touching up, which seems to be more regularly than I`d wish, I use low tack frogtape, I used to think was the one to use. But I still get a slight bleed and never seem to achieve that go to sharp straight line. The other matter happens when I peel the tape off and it pulls paint off with it, so a small job always turns out bigger than expected. What am I doing wrong?

13 minutes ago, STIG said:

So when I`m touching up, which seems to be more regularly than I`d wish, I use low tack frogtape, I used to think was the one to use. But I still get a slight bleed and never seem to achieve that go to sharp straight line. The other matter happens when I peel the tape off and it pulls paint off with it, so a small job always turns out bigger than expected. What am I doing wrong?

Pulling paint off - prep work not sufficient. Keying up not good enough, or contamination. The tape - you may sometimes have to apply some moderate pressure to the edge of the tape to get a good clean contact; some of this will depend on the quality of the surface the tape is being laid on.

If decorator's tape is ever used, it will be almost always necessary to apply pressure to the edges to get anywhere near a clean line. 

Edited by Higgs

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Re pulling paint off, remove the tape as soon as you dare, while the paint is still wet -ish.

Yep. If it is a last coat, pull tape off as soon as the paint has dried a little. It will generally leave a softer edge to the paint finish.

Edited by Higgs

Use tape as little as possible if you can get away with it but when you do paint away from the tape edge never into it. 

I tend to press firmly on the edge of the tape Im painting inside, run your finger quite firmly down that inside edge, just a bit of gentle pressure on the rest, if that makes sense.

It’s only the edge of the tape that needs to stick the rest can be lightly in place. 

But yeah, it’s tricky. 

what you painting ?

got a photo?

After placing the tape, run a line of the colour under the tape along the edge first, and then paint the contrasting colour. That way any bleed under the tape will be the first colour, not the second , and you will get a crisper edge.

42 minutes ago, STIG said:

Which colour frog tape are you using as the colour of the tape denotes it's use. Also how old is the tape

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

After placing the tape, run a line of the colour under the tape along the edge first, and then paint the contrasting colour. That way any bleed under the tape will be the first colour, not the second , and you will get a crisper edge.

I think that's over-working the job. Not the kind of thing a boat painter would do. The tape has a job to do, the prep work helps the tape to do its job.

Many of the painters I work with use Kleen Edge tape, or Tesa 3434. Either way, it is important to thumb the contact edge well down. Ordinary masking tape is a waste of time in my experience. Wrights of Lymm, signwriters merchants, also offer an American plastic tape, the Edge, which I use on lettering and other jobs. Super stuff!

The problem with some of the vinyl tapes that are used is the way the adhesive is applied. Some have a machine glue pattern of lines. This can cause bleeding. If the tape is removed when the paint is dry, the bleed marks can be wiped off quite satisfactorily, where one part paints are used. But, check the glue pattern on some tapes.

Edited by Higgs

27 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Google ‘masking tape and caulk’ and watch a coupe of the videos.  Easier than explaining it.  

Not good enough for boat painting.

All I can say is - painting and decorating isn't boat painting. I did google what you said. Knowing how to tape up and caulk, or tape up and apply sealant around a bath wouldn't cut it.

Edited by Higgs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, STIG said:

Peeling paint off is bad painting, lack of key, greasy/damp under the paint, rubbish paint.

If you want sharp paint lines you use fine lining tape from 3Ms - not cheap masking tape.

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Many of the painters I work with use Kleen Edge tape....

Pretty much all we use unless masking curves or patterns,where we often use the Craftsmaster red tape. I called the Kleenedge Pinctura Fresca for years until actually taking note of the outer packaging....

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Pretty much all we use unless masking curves or patterns,where we often use the Craftsmaster red tape. I called the Kleenedge Pinctura Fresca for years until actually taking note of the outer packaging....

How do you mask a curve?

with my DIY jobs I get by with paint brush following a pencil/chalk line,

curves on the counter bands where the blacking meets the colour I do with a twist of the brush,

but professionally, and perhaps with spray painting, I imagine the approach different,

so how do you mask off on a curve, I thought the tape would buckle and crinkle?

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

33 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

How do you mask a curve?

curves on the counter bands where the blacking meets the colour I do with a twist of the brush,

but professionally, and perhaps with spray painting, I imagine the approach different,

Providing the arc isn't too tight, masking tape can handle outside curves. Otherwise, a flexible vinyl tape can cope. That's the kind of thing I used. And of course, manipulating a brush is another option. I used 3Ms Blue tape, and Vinyl. Can't remember the reference numbers.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

How do you mask a curve?

Fineline tape. 

3 hours ago, Higgs said:

Not good enough for boat painting.

All I can say is - painting and decorating isn't boat painting. I did google what you said. Knowing how to tape up and caulk, or tape up and apply sealant around a bath wouldn't cut it.

With respect you’re looking at the wrong thing. Perfect line every time. For decorating and bath sealant etc no pro would use tape of any kind, just practice. 

if you want to tape it and don’t trust yourself for the caulk method then you need to look at vehicle painting and masking products or do your best and then pay a pinstriper to finish your edges. It’s an art form in its own right.