Extended Tiller handle for cruiser stern boat opinions please.

Featured Posts

On 05/04/2024 at 11:05, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I don’t see how it would be a hazard going under a bridge as you don’t really do significant turns. Maybe if unattended in a lock it may be an issue and may need removing ?????

I lost the wooden bit of Ripple's tiller at the junction at Hardings Wood Junction, thankfully I wasn't holding it at the time! I was holding further down the bar, ironically because I needed to reach the morse control which was on the left and the tiller needed to be hard right.

That said Ripple had an elliptical counter not a square stern, the tiller was beyond the profile of the stern but would not be beyond the cabin if travelling into a lock. 

I'm sure I've seen wide beams with an offset tiller connected to the rudder stock with a bicycle chain arrangement or similar

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm sure I've seen wide beams with an offset tiller connected to the rudder stock with a bicycle chain arrangement or similar

Last time I seen a bicycle chain on a boat it was attached to a paddle gear with a woman peddling like the clappers going nowhere fast, living on the k&A.

Is she still cycling along there?

26603A9B-646A-4A83-A021-79D9F1144D6E.jpeg.6384caf7896be9c9a85321a5d5600f20.jpeg

38 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Last time I seen a bicycle chain on a boat it was attached to a paddle gear with a woman peddling like the clappers going nowhere fast, living on the k&A.

No, she was forced off the canals by C&RT (her side of the story) and ended up in a tranny van.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 05/04/2024 at 17:52, David Mack said:

And rather than an anonymous painted steel box with a morse lever at the top, how about one of these?

7920521-155-1.jpg

Ooooo, I want one of those 😁

On 05/04/2024 at 11:57, IanD said:

(yes I know about steering from the stern, dangerous, getting knocked off etc -- which is why I only do it when going ahead...)

Don’t forget that most rudders have a proportion in front of the pivot/hinge, which can catch on something whilst going ahead and ram the tiller hard over. This happened to me. Perhaps your rudder doesn’t have a bit in front of the pivot (IIRC you have a “non-standard” rudder. So I say this mostly for the benefit of others.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Don’t forget that most rudders have a proportion in front of the pivot/hinge, which can catch on something whilst going ahead and ram the tiller hard over. This happened to me. Perhaps your rudder doesn’t have a bit in front of the pivot (IIRC you have a “non-standard” rudder. So I say this mostly for the benefit of others.

Yes, I ran over something submerged once by the Pooley Layby on the Coventry which ripped the tiller from my hands, and would have pushed me in had I been standing alongside the tiller rather than in front of it.

Out at Easter heading for The Port when the wooden end of a friend's tiller snapped off. On the way back whilst heading up Adderley I ran across a snapped off handle in the grass on the towpath by the lock. Now the one in the grass was faded but not rotten, and was significantly longer than the one that needed replacing, so a bit of time on the lathe yesterday resulted in:

image.jpeg

Edited by agg221

On 08/04/2024 at 13:31, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

On 08/04/2024 at 14:09, Alan de Enfield said:

No, she was forced off the canals by C&RT (her side of the story) and ended up in a tranny van.

Shame that.  I was going to joke she's still pedalling and has moved nearly 2 miles in the last 10 years.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shame that.  I was going to joke she's still pedalling and has moved nearly 2 miles in the last 10 years.

That would still be further than most of the Continuous Cruiser boats with engines on the K&A. Then again the boats with engines on the K&A have been awaiting spares for the last 10 years 😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

That would still be further than most of the Continuous Cruiser boats with engines on the K&A. Then again the boats with engines on the K&A have been awaiting spares for the last 10 years 😂

Please post up your evidence for these two assertions.

Much obliged.

Otherwise they look like blind prejudice. 

28 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Or maybe humour😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ah now another poster here does this too. Claims to have been joking when called out on posts containing a load of ol' tosh! 

12 hours ago, agg221 said:

That’s the one!

That reminds me. Himself will need to repair kelpies tiller before we go boating again. The short tiller and I weren't a good match 🙂 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MtB said:

Ah now another poster here does this too. Claims to have been joking when called out on posts containing a load of ol' tosh! 

It was a joke, just like the post I quoted. So take it as it was intended. Most would see it as a humorous reply to the other joke post😂😂😂😂😂😂

Anyway back to the Thread, tiller fitted and tried, obviously far easier to reach controls, the handle is solid oak and goes into the tube quite a way, so normal flex and not a concern, this was originally one of the concerns by the turner though. But overall the new owner is very happy with it.

84C28653-455B-4A89-9B84-DA0937FF00AD.jpeg.b6066826b43db0cf22878080e311276d.jpeg

Would an alternative solution be to have the morse control box set further back, closer to the tiller, with a standard tiller length? Or is there a reason the controls have to be exactly there? Obvs, only if one was speccing a new build.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Andyaero said:

Would an alternative solution be to have the morse control box set further back, closer to the tiller, with a standard tiller length? Or is there a reason the controls have to be exactly there? Obvs, only if one was speccing a new build.

All obviously depends if you say specifically to the shell builder where you want it, if not most put it roughly where it is on the photo. The position where it is gives the seating arrangement most want. It’s like everything on boats there’s always a trade off and a lot of the time there’s never the perfect solution to fit everyone’s ideal boat. If too far back you could end up standing wrongly inside the tiller arc, which could cause pain if your rudder hits anything solid.🤷🤷

4 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

If too far back you could end up standing wrongly inside the tiller arc, which could cause pain if your rudder hits anything solid

Which looks (from your photo) to be exactly the situation using the extended tiller arm. 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which looks (from your photo) to be exactly the situation using the extended tiller arm. 

But only slightly, as I said there’s never the ideal solution to the position of the control/seating/tiller especially on open cruiser sterns and I doubt there’s any members on here with a Narrowboat that has never at some stage steered inside the tiller arc.