Russell Newbury DM2 engine oil

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I’m picking up my Narrowboat tomorrow and it needs an oil change. It’s a Russell Newbury DM2.

does anyone know what oil? I’ve been told it needs to be Morris golden film SAE30.

also where can I buy it from in the Bristol Gloucester area.

many thanks

I had a DM2 for 12 yars. Nice engine did a lot of hours. I did use Morris 30 oil but it doesn't have to be that particular brand. There are others. 

if you can find a proper old motor factors (good luck!) they may well stock SAE 30 be it Morris or anyone else. 

Nice engine. clippety clop sound like a galloping horse. 

Screwfix, Toolstation.  But it will be more economical from an auto supplier, farm tractor store or ebay.

Rock Oil   ( Groundsman ) and Duckhams do 30s oils

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Plenty of people selling Golden Film SAE 30 online.  Classic Oils usually have it, or an alternative like Beetlejuice.

I believe Morris's do mail order.  They are not usually the cheapest.

Otherwise any mineral oil SAE 30 to API CC will be fine.   Suppliers as Tracy suggests.

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

Plenty of people selling Golden Film SAE 30 online.  Classic Oils usually have it, or an alternative like Beetlejuice.

Otherwise any mineral oil SAE 30 to API CC will be fine.   Suppliers as Tracy suggests.

N

Just Kampers had it on special offer recently. May be worth a look

Thinking of Golden Film there was a fish and chip shop near Rickmansworth called Golden Pond. Could be a useful place for sustenance in the event of not being able to get the right lube oik. 

I always felt a little uncomfortable about the naming of this outlet then I realised they buy the fish already deceased. 

Farm supply shop.

I go to TFM, they stock all kinds of useful stuff and their Penkridge and Bromsgrove shops are fairly handy for the canal. There'll be some other one closer to Gloucester.

Or the Internet of course.

8 hours ago, BEngo said:

Indeed.  Buying direct from Morris generally seems to be one of the most expensive ways to buy their oils!

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

I bought some from them at £19.95 for 5 litres last week, but it's now at £27.95.

Can't move in my garage for Morris SAE30 gold film. It was a no brainier at that price. Better than the stock market 😁😁

Try  agricultural merchants like TFM if you want Golden Film and buy 20L rather than 5 (you will use it). Golden Film commands a premium price from many suppliers (morris included if you order direct)

Alternatively try Smith and Allan or Westway Oils, look for oils which are both SAE30 and API CC (thus a low detergent oil like Golden Film), plenty of listings on eBay and these will include delivery.

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Indeed.  Buying direct from Morris generally seems to be one of the most expensive ways to buy their oils!

Buying directly from a manufacturer always will be the most expensive.

It would be commercial suicide for a manufacturer to be seen to be undercutting their distributed sales agent network. The agents would all instantly drop that product and sell another brand where the manu was not competing directly with them in the marketplace!