Eberspacher Central Heating Engineer Required - Leicester Arm of the GU

Featured Posts

Hello. My Eberspacher runs fine (but needs a service), but the central heating radiators it drives are not heating up properly, especially the bathroom one which used to get to hot to touch and is now less than luke warm. Can anyone recommend an engineer to service the unit/sort this problem out. The boat in question, if it helps, is a 2001 Colecraft. Thanks in advance, any help appreciated

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

It only needs a 'service' if it has stopped working.

So you only service your boat engine when it has stopped working.

Have you not heard of preventative maintenance?

• Greenie 1

Just now, geehils said:

I appreciate the suggestions, but it's a boat heating engineer I need, preferably one who can service Eberspachers 

If the eber is running 'fine' and the radiators are not heating you you need a plumber not a eberspacher service technician.

If it is (say) gunge blocking the radiators /pipes, then servicing the eber will make not a jot of difference.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the eber is running 'fine' and the radiators are not heating you you need a plumber not a eberspacher service technician.

If it is (say) gunge blocking the radiators /pipes, then servicing the eber will make not a jot of difference.

I'm looking at two separate things.

1. The Eberspacher requires a service as it was last serviced two years ago (and I appreciate some would say let it break, then fix it).

2. The radiators and pipes not getting anywhere like as hot as they did the last time the system was run a month ago. Checked the basics and no change. If I don't need a 'Boat heating engineer' to assess/fix this, then what would be the correct title of the person to search for?

They don't have to be the same person, just working on the assumption that it would be more cost effective to do the two together. Unfortunately drawn a blank thus far as sadly the previous engineer who did work at the Marina has passed away. 

Simon Pollard, Colin Roe, Dean Hadley(Bow to Stern), Mark (Weedon Narrowboat Services) all cover that area(to Foxton anyway), North Kilworth Marina are bound to have someone able as well.

Engineer is a much abused term in this country. You can tell if you have employed an engineer as the hourly rate will be in the low hundreds of pounds. You want a technician.

To your problem. If your heater is running constantly, the heat must be going somewhere. Is it running on low power all the time? This might be caused by a restricted water flow through the unit or a fault in the unit. There may be air in the pump.

Edited by Martin Nicholas
Air

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Simon Pollard, Colin Roe, Dean Hadley(Bow to Stern), Mark (Weedon Narrowboat Services) all cover that area(to Foxton anyway), North Kilworth Marina are bound to have someone able as well.

Thanks this is what I'll do if I can't find a personal recommendation. As it happens Simon Pollard looks after the engine/gearbox/electrics of my boat and I would recommend him wholeheartedly, provides a first class service, but sadly can't help with this problem.

16 minutes ago, Martin Nicholas said:

Engineer is a much abused term in this country. You can tell if you have employed an engineer as the hourly rate will be in the low hundreds of pounds. You want a technician.

To your problem. If your heater is running constantly, the heat must be going somewhere. Is it running on low power all the time? This might be caused by a restricted water flow through the unit or a fault in the unit. There may be air in the pump.

Interesting, wasn't aware of this, thank you. The Eberspacher unit cycles on and off, once the boat has hot water at the taps, so I'm sure that it's something like this, as adjusting the thermostat (which has been replaced) makes no difference at all, other than cut the unit out when thermostat temp = cabin temp.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As he said from the start Alan, he needs to sort out the CH system AND get the eberspacher serviced.

By the way, if the radiators are cold at the top that points to them needing to be bled of air. If they are cold at the bottom it's more likely to be sludge blocking the ports. The first problem is definitely easier to sort out than the second. 

If they just need bleeding you can do that yourself with a radiator bleed key. Run the eberspacher and go around each radiator bleeding them with the key until water comes out rather than air. Take a cloth or rag with you. Also make sure the central heating header tank is half full of water/antifreeze before you start. 

image.png.efa24387de635c04f93d45aa0d0966db.png

42 minutes ago, blackrose said:

By the way, if the radiators are cold at the top that points to them needing to be bled of air. 

image.png.efa24387de635c04f93d45aa0d0966db.png

This can also point to the liquid not mixing.

Sometimes when topping up the antifreeze, the old stuff refuses to mix with the new intake in the radiators. To sort this out is a  bit more technical and messy than just bleeding them. You may also have to run liquid out of the other top end if there is a plug there,pouring all the runoff back into the header tank slowly mixes everything satisfactorily.

2 hours ago, Martin Nicholas said:

There's another way to tell the difference; an engineer hits it with a ball pein hammer whereas a tradesman uses a claw hammer.

There’s nothing to service on an Eberspacher, as told to me by an installer. If they claim to be servicing it they’re doing somewhere between nothing and looking at it. You need someone who understands the radiator to Eberspacher set up, probably nothing more than a friendly moorer. The Eberspacher only needs something repairing if it won’t switch on to start with. Save yourself some money and ask around.

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

There's another way to tell the difference; an engineer hits it with a ball pein hammer whereas a tradesman uses a claw hammer.

The three laws of Engineering:
1. Always use the right tool for the job.
2. A hammer is the right tool for any job.
3. Anything can be used as a hammer.

handy.jpg

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

This can also point to the liquid not mixing.

Sometimes when topping up the antifreeze, the old stuff refuses to mix with the new intake in the radiators. To sort this out is a  bit more technical and messy than just bleeding them. You may also have to run liquid out of the other top end if there is a plug there,pouring all the runoff back into the header tank slowly mixes everything satisfactorily.

I had to do that when I refilled using a bit of water followed by almost an equal amount of antifreeze repeating until full, I thought that doing bit by bit it would be happy, but it stratified (is that the right word ) in the rad and only the bottom got hot. Spent a couple of hours draining from the rad and putting back in the header tank. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Poster girl said:

There’s nothing to service on an Eberspacher, as told to me by an installer. If they claim to be servicing it they’re doing somewhere between nothing and looking at it. You need someone who understands the radiator to Eberspacher set up, probably nothing more than a friendly moorer. The Eberspacher only needs something repairing if it won’t switch on to start with. Save yourself some money and ask around.

Eberspacher Servicing.pdf

I think that your list almost confirms what other have said. Most items are just look-sees to make an impressive list. I note nothing about checking for fault codes. If it starts up in the normal time and can run on all power modes then things like carbon on the plug and such like are unlikely to be critical.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, geehils said:

They would say that wouldn't they, that's how they make their money.

Note that the unit needs replacing after 10 years.

Mine is 20 years old, has certainly  not been serviced in the 10 years I have had it, and it is functioning perfectly.

Your money, your choice - You go and pay out your £100s every 6 months, I'll save my money, I'll save enough to buy a brand new one.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

You might also try Lee Bates (daysafloat.co.uk). I don't know if he does Ebers but he knows his Webastos.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

You might also try Lee Bates (daysafloat.co.uk). I don't know if he does Ebers but he knows his Webastos.

Thanks, I'll do that

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They would say that wouldn't they, that's how they make their money.

Note that the unit needs replacing after 10 years.

Mine is 20 years old, has certainly  not been serviced in the 10 years I have had it, and it is functioning perfectly.

Your money, your choice - You go and pay out your £100s every 6 months, I'll save my money, I'll save enough to buy a brand new one.

It wasn't the whole unit, just the heat exchange. I'm pretty sure there's an 'hours run' caveat on all of this too. It's a bit like insurance, paying up front to hopefully avoid something that may or may not happen later!

I get my gas boiler at home serviced annually too and I'm pretty sure that's just checking, no bits ever seem to get replaced, nevertheless I'm reassured that it's not going to catch fire or vent Carbon Monoxide!

As you say, personal choice and how risk averse we feel about things.