Where am I, internationally?

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2024 at 16:54, magpie patrick said:

Somewhere in the US? Not the enlarged Erie Canal I don't think

The Farmington Canal in Connecticut? 

Somewhere in the US - neither of those. Not all the locks on the canal are like this.

It is part of a post card which my late Uncle Harold collected and he was killed in a tank battle in World War 2

It is a river and this image of same river is shown passing through a flooded Manchester, but not the one in this country

6008122.jpg

Yus that saves me making the clue about happy coats to keep out the rain. Well done

But when the flooding in British Rivers is concerned, they look slight to what happens in America!

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Yus that saves me making the clue about happy coats to keep out the rain. Well done

But when the flooding in British Rivers is concerned, they look slight to what happens in America!

Well, it is a well known fact that everything in America is bigger and better - the yanks tell us so.

As a through waterway it only lasted a few years, but this end remained in service into the 20th century. It is not in France, where waterway development only really got going after Leonardo da Vinci was kicked out of Italy and was granted a safe haven by the King of France. This waterway pre-dates that.

The photo shows the Mellingburger Locks, near Hamburg, on the river and canal connection between the Elbe and Lübeck, known as the Alster-Beste-Kanal. Proposed in 1448, it was finally completed in 1529, but lasted as a through route for just 21 years, though the lower section on the river Alster was still in use as a navigation into the 20th century.

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

image.png.3db7c460d8851064c753eb15ecd4cbee.png

I put this one in only because 'hey mom, we can see our house from here!'.  Plus my father helped build the bridge from which the picture is taken [picture nicked off the internet, so if you know how to do image search, you will find it]

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Think this is the Welland canal in the Great Lakes, the only triple lock I know of on a big waterway apart from the Panama.

That is the one, looking north from the Garden City Skyway to [I think] Lock 3.  To be precise, it is the fourth Welland Canal, the remains of the others are scattered around parks and other waterways in the city of St Catharines.

This is another little-known European canal project. The photo shows the remains of the beginning of a cutting for a canal excavated in 1608. There is a railway embankment crossing it in the background. It was the second attempt at building this canal, the first one dating from the 1550s. The canal was finally constructed inn the 1840s, rebuilt in the 1960s, and is still in use today.

excavation of 1608.jpg