Recipes for sawdust into logs

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Maybe the oil hole in the side of the bar is blocked. 

If you take the bar and chain orf then run it does oil come out from the pump? 

I take the bar and chain orf my little Makita cordless chainsaw quite regularly for cleaning. 

Bucket full of sawdust, half to a pint of water with a tablespoon or so of wallpaper paste, just enough to make it moist so it binds.

I do love that word "moist" hmmmm.

K

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Another approach is just to put all the chainsaw chips into a bucket and decant into the fire with a coal shovel. It burns alright. 

Or, make it into chipboard, smash it up and burn that.

Hope that helps. 

42 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I'm using a brand new Bosch electric saw, with no oil adjustment that I can find, even after reading the handbook at last 4 times.

I have a makita battery saw and I'm quite impressed but not used it enough to make a judgement on oil use really and right now it's cutting like it's drunk, a lesson learned never lend your saws out to friends 😅 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I have a makita battery saw and I'm quite impressed but not used it enough to make a judgement on oil use really and right now it's cutting like it's drunk, a lesson learned never lend your saws out to friends 😅 

Same applies to all tools. 

If they come back they'll almost certainly never seem quite the same again. But more probably and if they were good tools, they will definitely be planning to bring them back tomorrow.

Just don't lend them to anyone, ever, ok?!

(Apart from me obviously.)

P.S. Lending tools is much the same as lending books, but more expensive. 

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

As a result of being sharpened badly, I expect.

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same applies to all tools. 

If they come back they'll almost certainly never seem quite the same again. But more probably and if they were good tools, they will definitely be planning to bring them back tomorrow.

Just don't lend them to anyone, ever, ok?!

(Apart from me obviously.)

P.S. Lending tools is much the same as lending books, but more expensive. 

Your welcome to visit North Wales if you have the need for a makita battery saw ;)

13 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

As a result of being sharpened badly, I expect.

Possibly or a knacked bar, haven't checked yet, it did what I needed and it was cold wet and very muddy, my priority was to finish up and get in the dry :)

if it was my proper saws it might have been a different matter (mind you I wouldn't have lent them out)

46 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Your welcome to visit North Wales if you have the need for a makita battery saw ;)

What a gem you are!

Oddly though, I almost never need to saw up makita batteries.

Cheers!

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That seems an expensive way to make firewood! 

I was joking about the cooking instructions, I put them in a neighbour's greenhouse in the summer, they dry out in no time for free, and she/they get a free sauna day, well week.

Get your wood chippings and a towel, you've pulled.

K

1 minute ago, Gardner said:

Sawdust will burn very well as it is provided it has a good air supply from above

Or from below, in my experience, as I look to my right and watch sawdust burning on top of the log on the woodburner. 

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Or from below, in my experience, as I look to my right and watch sawdust burning on top of the log on the woodburner. 

If the sawdust is sat on top of the log it's getting top air not bottom air ....

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I'll tell that to the bright red glowing embers underneath.

exactly. A proper Fire admits air from beneath the grate (bottom air) or above the flame (top air). 

I also have middle air on mine which is a threaded tube with a cap which directs air straight to the embers. Originally designed so I could put a blowtorch in although never needed to. 

34 minutes ago, magnetman said:

exactly. A proper Fire admits air from beneath the grate (bottom air) or above the flame (top air). 

I also have middle air on mine which is a threaded tube with a cap which directs air straight to the embers. Originally designed so I could put a blowtorch in although never needed to. 

About 20 years ago ISTR fire-lighting fans being on the market. Like a hairdryer on steroids, the air was heated so much that it set fire to stuff it was pointed at. 

Jolly useful but I probably can imagine why they disappeared from the market, with about 0.1 seconds of thought....

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

About 20 years ago ISTR fire-lighting fans being on the market. Like a hairdryer on steroids, the air was heated so much that it set fire to stuff it was pointed at. 

Jolly useful but I probably can imagine why they disappeared from the market, with about 0.1 seconds of thought....

We had one that was used on a regular basis for lighting the coal fire at my mum and dad's house in the 1970s, it was very effective but the nozzles did burn away and need regular replacement. Coal was free because my uncle was a miner and got far more than he could use himself, something like 10 tons a year IIRC...

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

We had one that was used on a regular basis for lighting the coal fire at my mum and dad's house in the 1970s, it was very effective but the nozzles did burn away and need regular replacement. Coal was free because my uncle was a miner and got far more than he could use himself, something like 10 tons a year IIRC...

We had a gas poker. Stick it into the coals and light it, roaring fire in about ten minutes.

Had a Calor gas one too on the first boat! 

AND a Calor gas iron.