Recipes for sawdust into logs

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

I (or more accurately, the cat does) use clumping wood pellets in the cat litter tray. It's more practical than clay, but still needs disposing of. Reusing it as the raw material for a fire log sounds like a good idea. Not sure what to do about the turds, though. I guess if they've dried out sufficiently, they might be decent fuel.

20 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

I (or more accurately, the cat does) use clumping wood pellets in the cat litter tray. It's more practical than clay, but still needs disposing of. Reusing it as the raw material for a fire log sounds like a good idea. Not sure what to do about the turds, though. I guess if they've dried out sufficiently, they might be decent fuel.

If you find it burns well there may be an argument to changing to a litter tray for your own ablutions, think of the money saved on coal

On 15/01/2024 at 13:20, IanD said:

< snip > something like 10 tons a year IIRC...

Yes.

9 tons, or the calorific equivalent in smokeless, with the 10th ton going to mining widows (and pensioners too?)

:offtopic: warning.....

Anyone else watch that program about the 84/85 strike on the box last night?

One of those featured was a workmate at Hatfield Pit.

27 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

9 tons, or the calorific equivalent in smokeless, with the 10th ton going to mining widows (and pensioners too?)

:offtopic: warning.....

Anyone else watch that program about the 84/85 strike on the box last night?

One of those featured was a workmate at Hatfield Pit.

Now that really is what is called a perk. And I’ll bet the 9 tonnes delivered was a generous 9 tonnes

49 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Now that really is what is called a perk. And I’ll bet the 9 tonnes delivered was a generous 9 tonnes

It was, and it was enough to keep not just my uncle (the miner) in coal but also my dad and my great-aunt, both of who also had coal fires -- like pretty much everyone else.

Mind you, having spent a fortnight down the pit on work experience, I would *never* begrudge the miners their free coal (or wages)...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Also got free logs cut up to convenient size from the wooden pit props.  If you never left your outside coal door open the coal was just poured outside on the path/road for you to shovel in.

On 15/01/2024 at 12:08, magnetman said:

exactly. A proper Fire admits air from beneath the grate (bottom air) or above the flame (top air). 

I also have middle air on mine which is a threaded tube with a cap which directs air straight to the embers. Originally designed so I could put a blowtorch in although never needed to. 

Christmas 1960. We had recently had to  go over to smokeless fuels as we were in a smoke control area. The fire in the front room had been in for two days and was a bit tired.  I had just been learning about steel making and coal gas production in chemistry lessons at school and remembered the bit about how air was blown into coke to heat it up. I got mum's cylinder vacuum cleaner, which blew as well as sucked as they all did then, and tried blowing air in through the front firebars (it was a drop front all-night burner fire). It soon got the fuel up to white heat, and when the ash was cleared out a day or so later, it was found that the cast iron firebars had got so hot that they had sagged. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Christmas 1960. We had recently had to  go over to smokeless fuels as we were in a smoke control area. The fire in the front room had been in for two days and was a bit tired.  I had just been learning about steel making and coal gas production in chemistry lessons at school and remembered the bit about how air was blown into coke to heat it up. I got mum's cylinder vacuum cleaner, which blew as well as sucked as they all did then, and tried blowing air in through the front firebars (it was a drop front all-night burner fire). It soon got the fuel up to white heat, and when the ash was cleared out a day or so later, it was found that the cast iron firebars had got so hot that they had sagged. 

You can melt them by not clearing out the ash pan and letting it build up to the bars which are normally fire resistant chrome alloy. I know this because I once had to cut some with an angle grinder. No need for a vacuum cleaner though I’m sure it was fun!