Vinly self adhesive tiles 1.1 sq m

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

As an aside I agree with the others that the edges of the tiles are not ideal. Could you not get your man back to cut the silicone off and attach edging tiles or even a hardwood strip round the outside. It should be simple enough. I would worry that the silicon is going to look mucky pretty quickly and spoil the job. Please don’t take this personally it’s just my opinion and it’s easy for me to be wise after the event

Why use loads of messy silicon, especially if you can’t do it right with a neat smooth edge, when there is a choice of edging strips available to finish the job off more professionally. Also they should learn the best way to do Metro tiles, with half tiles.

EACF687C-9F28-4FDB-BCE2-B8C6AC301975.jpeg.19eef33904bf0f367e1bdf067d2505e5.jpeg

2C9584F5-30A3-42E8-B6E5-A54EEC10F926.jpeg.5f157258bbe1976f55ba0ce3294effa8.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

4 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Why use loads of messy silicon, especially if you can’t do it right with a neat smooth edge, when there is a choice of edging strips available to finish the job off more professionally. Also they should learn the best way to do Metro tiles, with half tiles.

👍 just as easy to do the job correctly. Why lady G has to mess about covering the wall with stick on tiles is one botch to cover another. Just sand and fill the wall and paint or paper to finish it off. The existing tiles would just need some tile trim of some description instead of the silicon to tidy it up. As for the perks not being central on the return wall she will have to live with that.(some people can, not me, not my boat). No pictures of the tiles behind the sink? Hopefully they are done with proper brick bond format. 

39 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

👍 just as easy to do the job correctly. Why lady G has to mess about covering the wall with stick on tiles is one botch to cover another. Just sand and fill the wall and paint or paper to finish it off. The existing tiles would just need some tile trim of some description instead of the silicon to tidy it up. As for the perks not being central on the return wall she will have to live with that.(some people can, not me, not my boat). No pictures of the tiles behind the sink? Hopefully they are done with proper brick bond format. 

Looking at her previous posts about the kitchen re-furb, they aren’t existing titles they’re the new tiles professionally fitted, along with new worktops, sink and kitchen doors.

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Come on chaps she’s an easy target to pick on. Suggest you pick on someone your own size

There’s no picking on anyone, but if that tiling is done by someone claiming to fit boats out for a living it’s pretty poor. It’s not the posters on here picking it up you should be targeting, but the guy she’s employed, if he’s charging top dollar for the work, no-one wants to see people being taking advantage of, especially older woman alone on the canal.

@LadyG doesn’t seam to have had a good rapport with some of the so called “Tradesmen” that have done work on her boat. I wouldn’t be happy if paying top money for that tiling.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

2C9584F5-30A3-42E8-B6E5-A54EEC10F926.jpeg.5f157258bbe1976f55ba0ce3294effa8.jpeg

Now thats how it should be done.

24 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Now thats how it should be done.

Thanks. I did that for free, nothing special, because the lady let me have a go at my idea. Black edging and a bit of off cut wood trim. She liked it and I got a bit of satisfaction of making her boat a little nicer. Thanks for the like 👍 

• Greenie 2

The tiles are fine I'm sure it's white grout, certainly no silicon involved. They are handmade rustic look high gloss tiles rather than the smooth factory kind. They look fine to me, and apparently I am a perfectionist!

Next Q is regarding the finishing of the beech sink worktops and the dining table top.

They have had a single coat of clear epoxy, which is not easy to apply due to light, I have left them for a week to harden and now have lightly sanded with 400 wet and dry, then cleaned with kitchen roll till sure there is no dust.

So today I mixed up the epoxy, and applied with a clean brush, then applied a second coat without sanding when touch dry, maybe three hours.

I realise this second iteration is improving the depth of glass finish, and I think I might wait another three days before a light sanding, then two more coats within a day. 

Is this the best procedure, the instructions are a bit vague when it comes to multiple coats.

I believe the finish takes a week to fully cure, but that is academic as I will be reasonably careful.

PS, the lower galley walls are going to be painted with Zinsser paint, its the same colour as the splashback tiles. tiles, and I have enough to do them they need two coats and a fair bit of sanding as the surface has got adhesive on it which has been impossible to remove and which is why I originally went for the d-c-fix stjck on tiles. The paint by the way was £30 delivered, the same price as the tiles, but I had it in stock. :)

On 14/01/2024 at 22:15, Ronaldo47 said:

When I bought some genuine Formica more than 30 years ago, it was only available in sheets about 10' long by 4' wide.  I only wanted it for a kitchen table I was making, so I had plenty left over!  

I've just removed the old formica table, it's free, bit of a downside is that the tabletop was attached to the leg with Pozidrive screws, from above! That's what they call  the "industrial" look.

Edited by LadyG

• 2 weeks later...

Have a read about epoxy on YouTube.  hundreds of videos and far too much for me to repeat but generally you can either apply it wet on wet or leave it to cure fully between coats.  There isn’t really a middle ground.  Plenty of deep pour epoxies that could do the job for you in one go.  However I know we’ve been over this before but it’s not a great finish. You should have either left it as oiled timber and saved your money and bought a laminate worktop or spent out on quartz. 

For your flooring / wall covering there are loads of panel solutions generally intended for bathrooms.  Mostly not cheap, but have a look at Reco for one option.

Your self-adhesive suggestion isn’t great for vertical but choose a non self-adhesive option and the right adhesive and it’ll never shift.  Unfortunately the ‘right’ adhesive will be sold in quantities that will leave you a mountain of wastage.  You could try a spray on contact adhesive but only Trim-Fix.  I’ve not found another with the same performance. First sign of heat and most drop off. 

Your current tiling should be re-done. If you were DIY’ing that it’s barely acceptable.  It’s certainly not up to a standard you should pay for.  Layout, trims, finishing. All wrong.  Be interested to see the standard of the rest of the fit  

Just had a look at DC fix. Seems to just be sticky vinyl on a roll. Not at all suitable for what you are doing. Link to the product if I’m seeing the wrong thing.  

Edited by truckcab79
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Have a read about epoxy on YouTube.  hundreds of videos and far too much for me to repeat but generally you can either apply it wet on wet or leave it to cure fully between coats.  There isn’t really a middle ground.  Plenty of deep pour epoxies that could do the job for you in one go.  However I know we’ve been over this before but it’s not a great finish. You should have either left it as oiled timber and saved your money and bought a laminate worktop or spent out on quartz. 

For your flooring / wall covering there are loads of panel solutions generally intended for bathrooms.  Mostly not cheap, but have a look at Reco for one option.

Your self-adhesive suggestion isn’t great for vertical but choose a non self-adhesive option and the right adhesive and it’ll never shift.  Unfortunately the ‘right’ adhesive will be sold in quantities that will leave you a mountain of wastage.  You could try a spray on contact adhesive but only Trim-Fix.  I’ve not found another with the same performance. First sign of heat and most drop off. 

Your current tiling should be re-done. If you were DIY’ing that it’s barely acceptable.  It’s certainly not up to a standard you should pay for.  Layout, trims, finishing. All wrong.  Be interested to see the standard of the rest of the fit  

Just had a look at DC fix. Seems to just be sticky vinyl on a roll. Not at all suitable for what you are doing. Link to the product if I’m seeing the wrong thing.  

dc fix do both splashback tiles and vinyl on a roll. I have decided to paint with the Zinisser, the first coat melded with the adhesive, and I am waiting for that to cure then i can rub it down. The problem was that nothing  would remove the adhesive, which is why I thought about a covering.

As for your advice, don't bother, I've been messing about with boats longer than you ve been fitting B&Q flat packs.

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

dc fix do both splashback tiles and vinyl on a roll. I have decided to paint with the Zinisser, the first coat melded with the adhesive, and I am waiting for that to cure then i can rub it down. The problem was that nothing  would remove the adhesive, which is why I thought about a covering.

As for your advice, don't bother, I've been messing about with boats longer than you ve been fitting B&Q flat packs.

Hilarious. Clearly along the way you’ve also managed to learn sweet FA about fitting kitchens, ruining worktops, tiling, or getting ripped off by ‘professional’ tradesmen. The work I’ve seen on that kitchen is shameful.  I couldn’t take money for it let alone put my name to it.  

Good luck with it.  Continue to post.  I’ll just watch from the sidelines. I’m particularly looking forward to the bit where you rub down the Zinsser thats ’melded with the adhesive’ 😂😂😂😂😂. Happy bodging. 👍👍👍

I missed out your ‘apparently I’m a perfectionist’ comment too. Maybe find out what that means. It definitely isn’t any of that work you’re paying for so far.    😂

Apparently I’m a perfectionist’.  

Also this……..

IMG_0413.jpeg.b7001bd8a90043cee6ba4c06ac6b242d.jpeg

I’d show you some of my kitchens and bathrooms but you wouldn’t understand. 

Ok. I’m done.  Back to my flat-packs. 😉

Edited by truckcab79
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I knew he was trouble when he joined!  🤣

Me too but glad he’s done and he’s not going to show us all the perfect kitchens he’s done.  
Narrow escape I say. Happy New Year Tracy!

3 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Me too but glad he’s done and he’s not going to show us all the perfect kitchens he’s done.  
Narrow escape I say. Happy New Year Tracy!

And a Happy New year to you!

I have had my fill of prima donna, never wrong, know it alls.  Box plonker.

• Greenie 1

To be fair, the silicon sealing leaves much to be desired, or is or just grout. Especially as the plastic or aluminium tile trim lengths are readily available an easy to fit. It looks an amateur job to me and makes me wonder what else may not be the best work. If Lady G is right that it is only grout below the tiles I hope that she is prepared for the mould and possibly rotting worktop where it leaks water.

Likewise, the run of "stuff" across the front and down the front of the tiled area, if it is grout why was it not smoothed off instead of apparently being left lumpy.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

To be fair, the silicon sealing leaves much to be desired, or is or just grout. Especially as the plastic or aluminium tile trim lengths are readily available an easy to fit. It looks an amateur job to me and makes me wonder what else may not be the best work. If Lady G is right that it is only grout below the tiles I hope that she is prepared for the mould and possibly rotting worktop where it leaks water.

Likewise, the run of "stuff" across the front and down the front of the tiled area, if it is grout why was it not smoothed off instead of apparently being left lumpy.

I'm fairly happy with the job, I expect there should be silicon run along the base, as the worktop surface and the cabin walls will move independently, unlike tiling a kitchen wall.

I don't let any water run in the area. The sink has a raised edge.

If I mentioned grout, it was because I thought the poster indicated the tiles were grouted with silicon, they are almost certainly bedded in silicon and I believe their was some mention of special adhesives to attach the tiles. The grouting hasn't crazed.

I suppose a white quadrant could be run along the edges, but these tiles are sort of handmade and have an uneven high gloss surface and bobbly edges, giving a rustic look. I could have them redone if i want, but i think they look fine as they are,  there are a few things needing tweaked  before its all finished, but Im inclined to leave the tiles for the moment, I might remove the edging stuff if it is silicon and replace with quadrant, or just sand it if it is grout. I'm currently working on varnishing the oak trim and skirting boards, hopefully fitter will be back next week. 

PS I've got a spare box of tiles which I intend to lay on top of some small cupboard tops, I'll have the same difficulty with edging, I absolutely  won't be posting photos!

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

The problem with what looks like sub standard work from a so called professional, is when you want to sell the boat and I seam to remember you think it’s worth £60K+ when you advertise it saying new kitchen fitted and the potential buyer sees work like this, they think self fit-out bodge and start looking more deeply for other self-fit work and your trying to tell them it’s a professional job. Doesn’t work with buyers and they’ll walk away.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm fairly happy with the job, I expect there should be silicon run along the base, as the worktop surface and the cabin walls will move independently, unlike tiling a kitchen wall.

I don't let any water run in the area. The sink has a raised edge.

If I mentioned grout, it was because I thought the poster indicated the tiles were grouted with silicon, they are almost certainly bedded in silicon and I believe their was some mention of special adhesives to attach the tiles. The grouting hasn't crazed.

I suppose a white quadrant could be run along the edges, but these tiles are sort of handmade and have an uneven high gloss surface and bobbly edges, giving a rustic look. I could have them redone if i want, but i think they look fine as they are,  there are a few things needing tweaked  before its all finished, but Im inclined to leave the tiles for the moment, I might remove the edging stuff if it is silicon and replace with quadrant, or just sand it if it is grout. I'm currently working on varnishing the oak trim and skirting boards, hopefully fitter will be back next week. 

PS I've got a spare box of tiles which I intend to lay on top of some small cupboard tops, I'll have the same difficulty with edging, I absolutely  won't be posting photos!

As long as you are happy with the job it's all that matters. If you do more tiling, this type of finishing trim is worth looking at. It comes in metal or plastic from all sorts of outlets, and the holey bit fits under the tiles as you fit them.

Diall 6mm Round PVC Tile Trim White 2.5m

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As long as you are happy with the job it's all that matters. If you do more tiling, this type of finishing trim is worth looking at. It comes in metal or plastic from all sorts of outlets, and the holey bit fits under the tiles as you fit them.

Diall 6mm Round PVC Tile Trim White 2.5m

Yes I agree it might have been better if that had been used. There was some reason the fitter decided against it.

That edging is fine in the galley, with white painted walls, but all the edges in the cabin are trimmed with varnished oak, and the white plastic edge might look weird, these cupboard tops already have wood trim,  I will remove the existing surface which is laminate flooring, and see if the tiles will work. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

You can get different coloured tile trim and also different coloured grout & sealant in loads of shades to compliment coloured tiles, which might look nicer than white in your other areas. I hope the negative comments haven't taken the shine off your new galley and that it gives you lots of pleasure.

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/soudal-color-ral-colour-coloured-premium-silicone-sealant?option=897&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA_OetBhAtEiwAPTeQZ-CVi5eoOExx2KFjSaHIyLxLBgTjtMfR_wuC9FtEc9rsVVnTtHyU8BoCWFoQAvD_BwE

https://www.sealantsupplies.co.uk/products/rainbow-ral-coloured-silicone-300ml/

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, MrsM said:

You can get different coloured tile trim and also different coloured grout & sealant in loads of shades to compliment coloured tiles, which might look nicer than white in your other areas. I hope the negative comments haven't taken the shine off your new galley and that it gives you lots of pleasure.

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/soudal-color-ral-colour-coloured-premium-silicone-sealant?option=897&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA_OetBhAtEiwAPTeQZ-CVi5eoOExx2KFjSaHIyLxLBgTjtMfR_wuC9FtEc9rsVVnTtHyU8BoCWFoQAvD_BwE

https://www.sealantsupplies.co.uk/products/rainbow-ral-coloured-silicone-300ml/

Yes thanks, I have most of these idiots on ignore, they are repeat offenders, fortunately most people one meets on the cut are friendly, well adjusted people, though BuN is as unpleasant in reallife as he is on here 😀 

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes thanks, I have most of these idiots on ignore, they are repeat offenders, fortunately most people one meets on the cut are friendly, well adjusted people, though BuN is as unpleasant in reallife as he is on here 😀 

Are you talking about me? Please let me know where I have met you?
 I have met people who have met you and every time been warned about you, from when you were at Goole and described as a “fruit loop” to last year on the Chesterfield when you asked a boater to drive you for Diesel then half way there asked if he could pay as you had no money and other stories about the “Old Scottish woman” from trustworthy sources, also professional tradesmen, so  please let me know when you have met me and stop telling lies to detract attention away from the poor workmanship you are doing or paying someone to do.

I image a few months down the line after the work is finished you’ll be slagging off the guy that’s done it as an incompetent workman, as you seam to do with all tradesmen you get to do work. The problem is you’ve put photos on so everyone can see the work is pretty poor, but your very happy with it, this just shows the standard of work you think is acceptable, whilst most will not find this acceptable. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Are you talking about me? Please let me know when I have met you?
 I have met people who have met you and every time been warned about you, from when you were at Goole and described as a “fruit loop” to last year on the Chesterfield when you asked a boater to drive you for Diesel then half way there asked if he could pay as you had no money and other stories about the “Old Scottish woman” from trustworthy sources, also professional tradesmen, so  please let me know when you have met me and stop telling lies to detract attention away from the poor workmanship you are doing or paying someone to do.

I image a few months down the line after the work is finished you’ll be slagging off the guy that’s done it as an incompetent workman, as you seam to do with all tradesmen you get to do work. The problem is you’ve put photos on so everyone can see the work is pretty poor, but your very happy with it, this just shows the standard of work you think is acceptable, whilst most will not find this acceptable. 

I genuinely think that LadyG is actually just trolling  Either that or has absolutely no recollection of what she has claimed previously. Most of the posts I’m pretty sure are just designed to elicit a response such as my earlier ‘I’m a perfectionist - Here’s some more shit work’ rant.  I honestly enjoy her posts. To be fair given my previous moans that few on here actually do work on their boats or posts the progress of their own or others work on their boats at least LadyG is willing to put it up there. I for one am looking forward to seeing more and I’m honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.  If she chooses to ignore any advice or suggestions (I won’t bother making any more myself), then so be it. It’s her boat and her project.  👍

Edited by truckcab79

37 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

I genuinely think that LadyG is actually just trolling  Either that or has absolutely no recollection of what she has claimed previously. Most of the posts I’m pretty sure are just designed to elicit a response such as my earlier ‘I’m a perfectionist - Here’s some more shit work’ rant.  I honestly enjoy her posts. To be fair given my previous moans that few on here actually do work on their boats or posts the progress of their own or others work on their boats at least LadyG is willing to put it up there. I for one am looking forward to seeing more and I’m honestly not being sarcastic when I say that.  If she chooses to ignore any advice or suggestions (I won’t bother making any more myself), then so be it. It’s her boat and her project.  👍

Thing is she’s slagged off most people on here that she’s paid to do work on her boat, but she’s happy with this?? Work that the majority think is poor substandard work. I’ll take her being a Perfectionist” with a pinch of salt, like I do with all her boating experience she goes on about. 
 I’ll be honest I have met her a few times and been respectful and polite when we’ve chatted, mainly when she’s been moored near locks, sometimes on lock landings and I’ve been passing through. Maybe by saying I’m nasty in real life is her being defensive and Trolling for a reaction? Here’s a nice pic for her collection while she was on the Chesterfield last Summer.

CBB7C93B-46D7-4364-8915-8927FFAB16EC.jpeg.aa2c119d45540c3bd35049e6190a309d.jpeg