Burning batteries😲

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Just be be clear for those who can't be bothered to watch the clickbait videos -- my excuse is that it was lunchtime...

NMC and claimed "solid-state" lithium-ion cells (cars, ebikes/escooters...) -- runaway high-temperature fire as soon as they're damaged

LFP cells (as used in almost all boats) -- no fire even after massive damage, just some gas release

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

He clearly wasn't expecting much to happen as he drilled through that cell with virtually no consideration of the surroundings should a fire result. There is for example, what looks like a yellow electric extension cable running between the paving slabs directly underneath the battery case he used as a platform to drill on. Even more fun had that been burned! 

41 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Ah but it was a yellow cable so 110 V.  Much safer.

N

Interestingly Amazon are selling a yellow mains extension cable 30, 40 or 50 metres long.   So all yellow cables can't be 110 V.

EDIT to add many caravan leads to join to the bollard are yellow and come to think of it so is the one on the boat.

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

He clearly wasn't expecting much to happen as he drilled through that cell with virtually no consideration of the surroundings should a fire result.

Probably because he had been sent a video from the manufacturer showing them doing the same with no I'll effects🤔

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Just be be clear for those who can't be bothered to watch the clickbait videos -- my excuse is that it was lunchtime...

Why clickbait? I didn't get bombarded with adverts.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

Probably because he had been sent a video from the manufacturer showing them doing the same with no I'll effects🤔

Why clickbait? I didn't get bombarded with adverts.

Maybe "sensationalist" would have been a better term -- just look at the still that appears before you play them, massive BOLD BANNERS! on fluorescent panels.

Yes I know it's what nearly everyone does to be eye-catching and get peoples' attention... 😞

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Maybe "sensationalist" would have been a better term -- just look at the still that appears before you play them, massive BOLD BANNERS! on fluorescent panels.

Yes I know it's what nearly everyone does to be eye-catching and get peoples' attention... 😞

If you mean the banners  visible in the message above I see those as the titles not adverts. I give you that its sensationalist but click bait it isnt. 

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Jerra said:

EDIT to add many caravan leads to join to the bollard are yellow and come to think of it so is the one on the boat.

Sure they're not faded orange? A caravanning neighbour tells me that many sites don't allow blue cables as they don't show up in grass and so are a trip hazard.

23 minutes ago, pearley said:

Sure they're not faded orange? A caravanning neighbour tells me that many sites don't allow blue cables as they don't show up in grass and so are a trip hazard.

I can't imagine how long they would take to fade, we have had ours for almost 40 years and it is still bright orange.

For comparison.

image.png.da4d153b1c0fe249ca6d456eb33d140d.png

image.png.a6cc4023c4c3694f7d2a53d2e29d95f6.png

I would suggest one is clearly yellow.

This is even brighter yellow.

image.png.9ba4cbc964ce2e5c9c1b08f36a710016.png

Arctic grade Yellow PVC (The Orange ones tend to be 'standard grade' PVC which is stiff in cold weather.

Postage included in the price.

(The Jackson Leisure price above is plus £5.95 postage)

Screenshot (2398).png

Screenshot (2399).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

On 12/01/2024 at 12:10, GUMPY said:

The fire bit is from 6:40 onwards

Conversely

Beware what you buy

And that's why I have quality lifepo4s on my boat and in my little electric truck

On 12/01/2024 at 19:27, GUMPY said:

If you mean the banners  visible in the message above I see those as the titles not adverts. I give you that its sensationalist but click bait it isnt. 

I call it informative not clickbait, people will buy those batteries thinking they are safe, I wish he had tried overcharging short circuiting one of the remaining cells because for me that's the big problem, rather than one getting punctured ?

On 13/01/2024 at 09:01, Alan de Enfield said:

Alternate 18650 battery impact testing ;

My mate was shot at about a mile distance in the Falklands wearing an kevlar vest with front and rear hard kevlar plates, stopped his heart and big damage to ribs etc. He survived because because I did gentle compressions and mouth to mouth. Bloody marines went to ground because they knew what had happened unlike me 🤣🤣🤣

• Greenie 2

On 12/01/2024 at 15:11, BEngo said:

Ah but it was a yellow cable so 110 V.  Much safer.

N

Interestingly, it's actually 55v with reference to earth - the yellow site transformers have a 55-0-55v tapping on the secondary winding. 0v is connected to the same earth as the supply, 55v to the output 'live' and 55v to the output 'neutral'. That means if you're standing on the ground and touch one of the wires, you'll only get a 55v shock.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Interestingly, it's actually 55v with reference to earth - the yellow site transformers have a 55-0-55v tapping on the secondary winding. 0v is connected to the same earth as the supply, 55v to the output 'live' and 55v to the output 'neutral'. That means if you're standing on the ground and touch one of the wires, you'll only get a 55v shock.

That's interesting, thanks for that explanation.

I've always imagined the 110Vac transformers used for site tools were only considered a lot safer because I = V/R and halving the voltage also halves the current through the resistance presented by one human body.

But no, as the voltage is actually down to 55Vac either side of the centre-tapped earth, the current resulting from a shock is closer to one fifth what it would be from a 240Vac shock with earth bonded to neutral.