Private Water/Canalsife moorings

Kane Brennan

Featured Posts

Does anyone know any canal side rental moorings in the East Midlands or on the Trent and Mersey canal?

I know there out there because we see them, might arrange a couple of bicycle journeys where I just go collect some phone numbers. There is one in shardlow a couple up the Erewash and many others. But it seems to be difficult to find on the internet. 

we are currently in a marina, but we don’t like the view of other boats. I get guess a lot of them come with limitations but we’d like to enquire and get on a waiting list. If we find any we can call.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Have you tried here?

https://www.watersidemooring.com/

The CaRT site allows you to set notifications for when a mooring becomes available at specific locations. Not a waiting list but means you can jump on the site without having to keep checking. For example, my phone bings whenever a mooring becomes available at Hest Bank because I set an alert on it about four years ago when I was considering putting the boat up there.

18 minutes ago, magnetman said:

'seems to be difficult to find on the internet' 

I think the OP must be looking for a private mooring of some sort rather than CRT or marina. 

I wondered that too, but given they didn't say that, I posted the link to CRT site for on-line moorings in case they simply weren't very good at goggling. 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I wondered that too, but given they didn't say that, I posted the link to CRT site for on-line moorings in case they simply weren't very good at goggling. 

There certainly not cheap anymore. The one in Audlem has no parking and the nearest town according to the description is Nantwich 

CRT waterside moorings...

The 70 foot mooring vacated last March and contract ended last July at Stowe Hill is still empty and unlisted, although 2 vacancies are listed further down....only one of which is still available. The prices are above any other local marina....with no facilities...and they do not cut the grass either. One boater will be told they are not allowed a chair outside the boat, whilst another builds decking...

The website is clunky and useless.

My view of WM CRT is that they are deliberately over pricing and mis-managing it, and very shortly will sell them off....with a management buyout occuring at a knockdown price (as happened with the marinas...now Aquavista)...

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Kane Brennan said:

Does anyone know any canal side rental moorings in the East Midlands or on the Trent and Mersey canal?

I know there out there because we see them, might arrange a couple of bicycle journeys where I just go collect some phone numbers. There is one in shardlow a couple up the Erewash and many others. But it seems to be difficult to find on the internet. 

we are currently in a marina, but we don’t like the view of other boats. I get guess a lot of them come with limitations but we’d like to enquire and get on a waiting list. If we find any we can call.

Are you looking for residential or leisure? There's a few of both on the Macc but that may be too far north.

8 hours ago, Kane Brennan said:

But it seems to be difficult to find on the internet. 

Because they are mostly not advertised online. Get out there, talk to people on the moorings, find out who owns/runs the mooring and express your interest directly. Yes it's a lot of legwork, but such moorings are generally easy to let, so the owners/operators don't have to put in the effort, you do.

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Have you tried here?

https://www.watersidemooring.com/

there isnt many on there for residential and they all seem to be those managed by the canal river trust. I’ve seen a lot more dotted about which is private. 

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Are you looking for residential or leisure? There's a few of both on the Macc but that may be too far north.

Residential with a minimum of a postal address and water. We have an almost off the grid set up. We’d just get a genny to charge the batteries on the rainy days as we have 1kw of solar. 

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because they are mostly not advertised online. Get out there, talk to people on the moorings, find out who owns/runs the mooring and express your interest directly. Yes it's a lot of legwork, but such moorings are generally easy to let, so the owners/operators don't have to put in the effort, you do.

Yeh we plan on doing that long term, we know of some we have been past. We are going to go phone number collecting on our push bikes. Anywhere around an hours drive from shardlow and we’re happy. We are currently near Lichfield. 

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

The 70 foot mooring vacated last March and contract ended last July at Stowe Hill is still empty and unlisted, although 2 vacancies are listed further down....only one of which is still available. The prices are above any other local marina....with no facilities...and they do not cut the grass either. One boater will be told they are not allowed a chair outside the boat, whilst another builds decking...

My view of WM CRT is that they are deliberately over pricing and mis-managing it, and very shortly will sell them off....with a management buyout occuring at a knockdown price (as happened with the marinas...now Aquavista)...

We are already at an aquavista paying just under £5k which isnt a problem, we just prefer to see more of nature. My partner works in shardlow, i work from home. And we dont want to give up on both our cars, which is why we are specifically trying to stay in one place .

We dont bother with marina politics, we are as social as we can be to be polite. But we always have our own thing going on, so we dont notice. 

I suspect that there will be very few genuinely residential towpath moorings offered by private individuals. Apart from having to negotiate an EOG mooring deal with CaRT it is also necessary to obtain planning permission for residential, neither of which is readily granted these days. Apart from the cost of creating the mooring as well.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Kane Brennan said:

Residential with a minimum of a postal address and water.

Hens teeth. Rocking horse poo.

Best you are likely to find is somewhere you can moor 'below the radar', but you would not have legal residential use (which would require planning consent and oblige you to pay council tax). As long as you periodically leave the mooring you would be fine.

You probably also need a friend or relative whose address you can use both for 'official' purposes and postal/courier deliveries.

Solar may provide much of your power in summer, but you are going to be running your generator a lot during winter, especially if you are working from home.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

I understand that several residential moorings around Birmingham are empty and un-advertised.

And I thought they need the money!

As for that last bit, will be an interesting legal situation for those moorings actually on the towpath.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, pearley said:

I understand that several residential moorings around Birmingham are empty and un-advertised.

And I thought they need the money!

As for that last bit, will be an interesting legal situation for those moorings actually on the towpath.

Yes I have always wondered about this. There are/were some 'residential' moorings below Marsworth flight near the Aylesbury arm. Both sides are the towpath due to the existence of the said arm. 

It always slightly intrigued me how a mooring with no services, no postal address and based on a public footpath could be 'residential'. 

One wonders how this came to pass. 

Edited by magnetman
Important reasons

What about Proctors Park at Barrow on Soar and Meadow Farm marina also on the Soar.

https://www.proctorspark.com/243707898

https://meadowfarmmarinapark.co.uk/

Both are on a section of river which can be subject to flooding so be prepared to paddle occasionally. Otherwise they are good moorings.

Edit - forgot to put in Redhill Marina also on the Soar.

Edited by Richard T