KELPIE and Christmas

haggis

Featured Posts

Good drive down today despite a bit of dampness. We were going the right way as the north bound lanes were much busier - all those folk going to Scotland for the festive season. Car unpacked, fire lit, water filled, dog walked and Iain is doing boaty things 😀. Walked up past Orchard marina and it is full of water but no boats and stop planks are  still across the entrance . 

We'll stay here tonight - might even put up some decorations - then head off in the morning. Down the Shroppie as Iain wants to visit a museum near Autherley. 

• Greenie 4

36 minutes ago, haggis said:

Good drive down today despite a bit of dampness. We were going the right way as the north bound lanes were much busier - all those folk going to Scotland for the festive season. Car unpacked, fire lit, water filled, dog walked and Iain is doing boaty things 😀. Walked up past Orchard marina and it is full of water but no boats and stop planks are  still across the entrance . 

We'll stay here tonight - might even put up some decorations - then head off in the morning. Down the Shroppie as Iain wants to visit a museum near Autherley. 

Wardle lock open then?

I thought Wardle opened a while ago ! It doesn't come up on stoppages or didn't the last time I looked

Just checked and it says it is due to open today 22nd but I am sure I read that because they finished Wardle early they could bring forward stoppages on the Shroppie. 

Edited by haggis
More info !

1 hour ago, haggis said:

But it is over a week to the 'festive season' for Scotland.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I thought Wardle opened a while ago ! It doesn't come up on stoppages or didn't the last time I looked

Just checked and it says it is due to open today 22nd but I am sure I read that because they finished Wardle early they could bring forward stoppages on the Shroppie. 

Wardle opened Wednesday this week. I spoke with the contractors on site and they had finished and were packing up. We hadn't planned on being in Middlewich but closures and other events conspired. We will no doubt pass each other maybe tomorrow, might head for Bramble Cuttings for a day or two ...

• Greenie 1

Day 2. Set off this morning and the first boat we met was at Crofton aqueduct. It got a bit more challenging for the apprentice steerer when we encountered a few boats moored on lock landings but I assume they thought with the canals being quiet that no one would want to use them 😀, all the Middlewich locks were against us and we waited for boats coming down at Wardle and Stanthorne. We have a meal booked in Barbridge tomorrow night so to split the journey we have moored just after bridge 26 and we are sitting here enjoying the sunshine. Noticed that a new ladder has been installed tow path side in Wardle lock.

Bought some coffee logs and they stink and put out a lot of smoke. They will be used in emergencies only 😀

Oh, did you have a change of plan? I thought you were going to Bramble Cuttings today. Did you encounter a VERY slow single hander on the Middlewich flight? I think he must have been a new boater and was correctly taking his time.

We thought of mooring on the aqueduct but it was very exposed and windy. 

Are you going to the Badger at Church Minshull? If so enjoy your meal. One of our favourite pubs but a bit far for me to walk now.

A slight change of plans, but will be heading back that way and aiming to meet friends in Lymm. Yes we did meet that single hander, Yvonne helped him through a couple of locks, I think he was a new boater, we are not in a rush so no worries :). The Badger is brilliant, but also a bit too far for Yvonne now. The wind was fun, but manageable :)

Days 3&4.

No internet last night.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Yesterday was windy when we set off and it got worse. When I stopped in the lock mouth to pick up Iain at Chelmondeston lock the bows were blown right over to the non towpath side and we were just behind the first of the moored boats. Took some welly to get the bows out and Iain was so busy watching the bows that he didn't notice that the tiller was heading for the gate into the moorings. Result, one shorter tiller by about 15 inches. That's going to be challenging for the rest of the trip. 

Left Barbridge this morning and will probably moor just past the Nantwich aqueduct.

Have a good day, everyone,

40 minutes ago, haggis said:

Days 3&4.

No internet last night.

Yesterday was windy when we set off and it got worse. When I stopped in the lock mouth to pick up Iain at Chelmondeston lock the bows were blown right over to the non towpath side and we were just behind the first of the moored boats. Took some welly to get the bows out and Iain was so busy watching the bows that he didn't notice that the tiller was heading for the gate into the moorings. Result, one shorter tiller by about 15 inches. That's going to be challenging for the rest of the trip. 

Left Barbridge this morning and will probably moor just past the Nantwich aqueduct.

Bloody learner drivers, they should have L plates on.😇 Merry Christmas Ann and Iain, its dead calm here this morning so different from yesterday.

48 minutes ago, haggis said:

Days 3&4.

No internet last night.

Stick a mooring pin in it?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stick a mooring pin in it?

He has tried drilling out the wood but not budging. He has jammed a chisel in which give a little more length.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bloody learner drivers, they should have L plates on.😇 Merry Christmas Ann and Iain, its dead calm here this morning so different from yesterday.

Happy Christmas , Di and Brian. Much nicer today. No wind and it is dry.

2 hours ago, haggis said:

He has tried drilling out the wood but not budging. He has jammed a chisel in which give a little more length.

Happy Christmas , Di and Brian. Much nicer today. No wind and it is dry.

Just started pee in down here at Fenny Compton, well just a little way out actually 

Day 5. 

Lovely sunny morning but a chill in the air. Met a boat at Hack Green locks which was good. Got to the Shroppie Fly and there were canopies outside, lots of people and Morris dancers in full flow. Moored up to take on water and dump the rubbish then moved along a bit to moor. 

• Greenie 1

On 25/12/2023 at 11:03, haggis said:

...he didn't notice that the tiller was heading for the gate into the moorings. Result, one shorter tiller by about 15 inches...

My dear Mrs H, to paraphrase the Bible- if thy tiller offends thee, then cut it off. 

I shortened my tiller by about 10 inches when I got the boat, because it always seemed to poke out further than I felt it should, and it severely inhibited my freedom of expression on the stern. 

I would encourage you to think of it as a character and muscle-building exercise.

You will end up either a supreme physical specimen, or dead from sheer exhaustion. 

And above all- never forget that we boaters are a community. If you need some extra muscle to move that tiller, here on the Macc I will be no help whatsoever.

But I believe in you Mrs H. 

PS- of course this is not a blame game, but it was clearly Mr H's fault, and I hope he was beaten to within an inch of his life with the rolling pin, and denied a week's whisky ration.

Remember those wise old words- spare the rolling pin, and you spoil the husband.  

Edited by Tony1
  • Haha 1

If you are heading up towards Market Drayton then do wave to our boat as you pass - we won't be on it but I am sure it will appreciate it. It's in the linear moorings just after Betton Wood (the wooded slight cutting) - the anonymous, very low, short grey boat with an odd-looking bow and a short tug deck. Would be good to know if it still looks OK (always wonder about that) but we will be finding out for ourselves next week. It should be, but there was a bit of water in the bilge for some reason last time I was there which is never a good sign!

Alec

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just out of accordion range? :D

Just about 😀

15 hours ago, Tony1 said:

My dear Mrs H, to paraphrase the Bible- if thy tiller offends thee, then cut it off. 

I shortened my tiller by about 10 inches when I got the boat, because it always seemed to poke out further than I felt it should, and it severely inhibited my freedom of expression on the stern. 

I would encourage you to think of it as a character and muscle-building exercise.

You will end up either a supreme physical specimen, or dead from sheer exhaustion. 

And above all- never forget that we boaters are a community. If you need some extra muscle to move that tiller, here on the Macc I will be no help whatsoever.

But I believe in you Mrs H. 

PS- of course this is not a blame game, but it was clearly Mr H's fault, and I hope he was beaten to within an inch of his life with the rolling pin, and denied a week's whisky ration.

Remember those wise old words- spare the rolling pin, and you spoil the husband.  

Oh Tony, that made me laugh! I can steer with the shortened tiller ( well I have to !) But I don't like standing on the counter when I am steering. I am getting used to it though as we did quite a few locks this morning. 

We wondered where you were and if we would see you this trip. Sadly not !

15 hours ago, agg221 said:

If you are heading up towards Market Drayton then do wave to our boat as you pass - we won't be on it but I am sure it will appreciate it. It's in the linear moorings just after Betton Wood (the wooded slight cutting) - the anonymous, very low, short grey boat with an odd-looking bow and a short tug deck. Would be good to know if it still looks OK (always wonder about that) but we will be finding out for ourselves next week. It should be, but there was a bit of water in the bilge for some reason last time I was there which is never a good sign!

Alec

Hi Alec, I didn't read your message till after we moored. Too busy making the turkey soup!

Day 6.

17 locks in 6 miles not bad for a wet and windy day. A boat came past just as we were thinking of setting off  and we have him 10 minutes and set off. The only moving boat we saw all day but he back set a lot of locks in Audlem and Adderley which meant we made good time. We were sheltered from the wind most of the time but it was a bit breezy after the locks. Rather than moor under trees or in an exposed place we carried on to Market Drayton

Good timing as the heavens opened as soon as we were moored .

A good day's boating.

Hope you have had better weather today than we have.

With family packed off home we have taken the van out. Supposed to be heading for Scarborough but given the heavy rain and strong winds we decided against it and are now in Lincoln for a couple of nights instead.

Could have used the boat on the A1 it was that wet! 

Just starting to brighten up now so it's pub time in a minute.