Four counties perspectives

CruisingRobin

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

I agree, the by-washes at Tyrely can be very fierce going up if it has rained recently.

Since I last went through (late September) they've put a baffle on the outfall of the bywash on that lock. Someone else may be able to say how effective that's been, but the brickwork on the offside of the entry will doubtless be grateful for it! I think that's scheduled for repair too. 

17 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

yes it’s lovely. A bit further on is a reasonable shop and on the way a guy selling decent good value plants too. 

there’s a decent butchers with groceries too,

and the Post Office is very welcoming for boaters to receive mail,

in fact Brewood, Gnosall and Audlem each have pretty much everything in one way or another a boater could need,

with Wheaton Aston and Norbury for diesel, gas and both for services, 

and lots of ‘country spots’ in between 

Id say the Shroppie from Audlem down to Autherely is perfect. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer
Audlem not Tyrely
  • Greenie 1

On 22/11/2023 at 23:54, Ken X said:

Well if you had a good time on the L & L you are going to find the four counties much more relaxing and narrow locks. 

Indeed, the L&L between Silsden and Bank Newton was work, but good work.  The environs around the locks are achingly beautiful and inspiring.  The confluence of human and natural history to be found there filled our hearts and minds.

We were fortunate as we paired up with another couple heading up the same way (met when they came to our aid with a small mishap), and we partnered with them running up the next 11 locks, making for twice the hands.  On the way back down there was enough traffic running up that we never had to set a lock.  There was a lot of communication between boaters and some CRT volunteers on the locks, and several times upward travelers could simply leave the gates open for us.  There was one episode with a hireboatful of young nitwits who swarmed the lock as we entered and started working the paddles without so much as checking with us, but we managed not to get hung up on the cill and they were coming up, so we didn't have to encounter them again.  Altogether, it was a brilliant first experience and we were grateful for the dozens of YouTubes that prepped us for dealing with locks and swing bridges.

We look forward to the four counties and all the hints here are very helpful.  The chat also helps pass the time as our next cruise is almost six month away.   Arrgh!  

On 22/11/2023 at 10:27, Arthur Marshall said:

Two weeks for the ring is comfortable length days and time to explore some of the towns. Any additional trips (Chester , Llangollen, Caldon) will leave you with ten to twelve hour days to get round and no time for walking about. It all depends on how many crew you have and how like travelling.

Nantwich is good to visit, Market Drayton very run down but still worth a look, Stone also. Middlewich for shopping, but moor round the corner on the link away from the very noisy road.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Market Drayton - it's suffered as have many towns but it has some good pubs, restaurants and shops. OK I might be a little biased as we're moored there.

Edited by StephenA

33 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Market Drayton - it's suffered as have many towns but it has some good pubs, restaurants and shops. OK I might be a little biased as we're moored there.

I was surprised how it had improved
They got another Joules pub 😃

and the square looked a bit more lively with shops open,

they were pretty much all boarded up last time I was there 

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

The wife is very much looking forward to Market Drayton.  Sorry to hear if it's taken some wear but when Jenny is determined to love a place she generally does, and I'm looking forward to it too. Helps to have not been there in "the good old days", perhaps.  

Use canal planner. I put in four counties it states the following: This is a trip of 110 miles, 1 furlong and 94 locks. It will take 60 hours and 50 minutes which is 8 days, 4 hours and 50 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Places to visit. 

Trent and Mersey, Between Rode Heath and Red Bull Services try and visit National Trust Little Morton Hall. 

Shropshire Canal: Secret Nuclear Bunker, Great Cheese Shop in Northwich, Great Heywood Farm Food Shop ( if you have friends with motorhome they can park here for the night free ) 

Canal planner link.

https://canalplan.uk/index.html

Don't forget to sign up for Canal River Trust notifications. Good to know you are not traveling into a lockdown 😜

On 25/11/2023 at 16:33, CruisingRobin said:

The wife is very much looking forward to Market Drayton.  Sorry to hear if it's taken some wear but when Jenny is determined to love a place she generally does, and I'm looking forward to it too. Helps to have not been there in "the good old days", perhaps.  

If you get your timings right at Market Drayton you might be able to pick up a brewery tour at Joules Brewery

Who knows what the arrangements for Harecastle Tunnel will be next year -- but this year there were some bookings and some freeflow, so check nearer the time.  We also like popping in to Middleport Pottery in Stoke.  They have a couple of moorings on the offside right outside, and there are few bits you can look at without paying.  And the cafe does good Staffordshire oat cakes.

On 24/11/2023 at 08:09, Sea Dog said:

Since I last went through (late September) they've put a baffle on the outfall of the bywash on that lock. Someone else may be able to say how effective that's been, but the brickwork on the offside of the entry will doubtless be grateful for it! I think that's scheduled for repair too. 

Went through this summer. If someone is emptying the lock above this increases the flow. Tip wait until the lock above is not being emptied.

A tip we received from a CRT volunteer is to open one of the paddles of the closed gates. This may / will reduce the flow of force at the bywash. 

Hope this is helpful 

• 1 month later...

We did the 4 Counties on our hireboat holidays last summer (2023). We started in Stoke on Trent and went clockwise. We had hired the boat for 11 days and arrived at the harecastle tunnel early and did a small detour on the Macclesfield Canal to stop one day on which we did a hike on Mow Cop.

If you plan on going on the Caldon Canal you might want to consider going clockwise as well. In that case you will arrive at the junction after having gone through the harecastle and are more on the safe side with your schedule.

Another option might be going further on the wide part of the Shroppie. The section to Beeston ist IMHO beautiful and Beeston Castle seems to be a worthwhile destination for a hike. Personally, I would refrain from going further on the canal to Chester as you said you would rather skip bigger towns. Also there's quite a long section of permanent moorings to pass by in tickover before getting to Chester which can be slightly "boring".

Or you could also go on the Llangollen canal for a smaller bit until i.e. Wrenbury or Whitchurch. The llangollen is very beautiful & rural in the "lower parts" and you would be able to do some liftbridges.

Mooring:
Our family preferred moorings with nice views and not too many boats around. Our nicest moorings were on the Shroppie and the Middlewich Branch. Although we often chose locations with a wide underwater "shroppie shelf" where we had to use the plank. When mooring in those places it is also a good idea to lower the fenders (those "rubber sausages" you find on hireboats) below the water level to dampen the "impact" between the underwater shelf and the boat.

Here are three of our "shelf" moorings:
Brewood. Nice little village which is worth a walk. This was one of the widest shelf. We had to put the bow "on the shelf" first to let the crew on land. (Or you do that under the bridge from which I took the photo). Maybe a bit too fiddly if you're only two on the boat.
20230817_170217_Brewood.jpg.2daf8aca6e2c2161ce8b5790a1262b0b.jpg

Audlem, near the crossing over the River Weaver. Wonderful view: (and also a nice little village)
20230819_173154_Nantwich.jpg.914f9127062b3b5db12153cc7c233aa5.jpg

(Middlewich Branch) Church Minshull Visitor Moorings. Some of the moorings are also without the "shelf". There's a pub not too far away:
20230820_202205_Winsford.jpg.2a1ebcff2fecae0b67167b906adccee7.jpg

And a view of the "folly" on Mow Cop (reachable from the Macclesfield Canal):
20230823_115611_Kidsgrove.jpg.2f02ba211498ab35a738194f587c6451.jpg

Edited by Michael Donning
  • Greenie 2