Length of time for Blacking to cure

Grassman

Featured Posts

It's always concerned me the way boats are put back in the water so soon after being blacked. Obviously time of year and weather conditions have a bearing but I'm looking for somewhere where I have to choice to delay this by a few days once the blacking is done, but without the extra cost of this being too prohibitive. Probably a max of about £30 a day?

And at a location within a 50 mile radius of Fradley Junction and preferably where I can remain living aboard, although I'm prepared to travel further afield if I have to. 

Is there any such place?

17 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It's always concerned me the way boats are put back in the water so soon after being blacked. Obviously time of year and weather conditions have a bearing but I'm looking for somewhere where I have to choice to delay this by a few days once the blacking is done, but without the extra cost of this being too prohibitive. Probably a max of about £30 a day?

And at a location within a 50 mile radius of Fradley Junction and preferably where I can remain living aboard, although I'm prepared to travel further afield if I have to. 

Is there any such place?

Last time I stopped at Streethay we discussed drying times and he said most people want it in and out as quick as possible but if they want to pay for extra time thats fine. We were blacked there about 10 years ago and stayed onboard in the shed with no problem.

To do the job properly takes a week, assuming you have sufficient labour involved. That includes completing the bottom and lower hull sides up to just above the water line 48 hours before refloating - its less critical for the upper hull sides. The 3 day in and out merchants can't achieve that.

For DIY I recommend the covered slipway at Aylesbury Canal Society's Circus Field Basin. Indoors, heated, and you can carry on painting (but not noisy prep work) into the evening (if you have the energy). You can stay on board and have the use of a kitchen, bathroom with shower and workshops where you can paint removable hatches and the like off the boat.

http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/our-services/slipway-dry-dock/

Mills dockyard on the Erewash. Steve Mills is where I would go. You get a week as standard he docks each weekend. Its a wide dock so sometimes you are with another boat, its a good spot. I have downgraded to a house now though so give him a ring to see if that advice still stands. 0115 973 2595 unless its changed?

If you get to the Erewash then The boatyard Langley Mill at the top is well worth the effort. Dan is on this forum, we have been three or four times and have received good jolly service each time. He and Vikki are genuine people and great to deal with.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

If you get to the Erewash then The boatyard Langley Mill at the top is well worth the effort. Dan is on this forum, we have been three or four times and have received good jolly service each time. He and Vikki are genuine people and great to deal with.

Indeed a very good place to go and a brilliant dock. They also do a great job of blacking. No problem living aboard either we had our last boat done there.

• Happy 2

I was under the impression that blacking did not cure in any meaningful sense. All that happens is that the solvent evaporates. As blacking is lighter than water I suppose if it has not dried it will just float off. Not sure what happens to the remaining solvent if you submerse it before it is fully dried. Maybe it continues to disperse into the water and the blacking eventually dries out.

Thanks for all this useful information. I don't want a DIY job btw, I'm too old for that!

There are some good options there so I will investigate them. Rightly or wrongly I assume that a dry dock would probably want the slot for the next booking (but I should check this), whereas if it was a crane or haul out onto open hardstanding, there would likely to be more scope (room) for leaving the boat stood there for a few days or more afterwards. Being in the open there could be issues with wet weather of course though.

I had the blacking done at CC in Stone last time and they were very good, but I would never go to Streethay after my experiences there a few years ago (not related to blacking).