Licences

haggis

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Momac said:

At present C&RT accept insurance is in place on an honesty basis

Do they?

I have to provide them the name of my insurer, the policy number and the expiry date.

I assume they use these to check ...

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do they?

I have to provide them the name of my insurer, the policy number and the expiry date.

Correct, I was stopped at Tuel Lock because I'd forgotten to update insurance policy number

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do they?

Everyone has to provide those insurance details.

Whether C&RT run any checks is up to them.

I doubt very much whether C&RT have authority to obtain data direct from insurers . However C&RT could contact you and ask for a copy of the insurance certificate if you are selected for a random spot check.

In due course it may become necessary to upload the insurance certificate to the C&RT portal.

Edited by Momac

8 minutes ago, Momac said:

Everyone else  has to provide those insurance details.

Whether C&RT run any checks is up to them.

I doubt very much whether C&RT have authority to obtain data direct from insurers . However C&RT could contact you and ask for a copy of the insurance certificate if you are selected for a random spot check.

In due course it may become necessary to upload the insurance certificate to the C&RT portal.

7.3. When You apply for a Licence You must provide the name of Your insurance company, the policy number and expiry date. We may ask for a copy of the certificate or policy schedule. 

7.4. After the Boat is Licensed, We may request a copy of the insurance policy or schedule. We may check with Your insurer that the policy is valid. We may also give information We hold about Your Boat to Your insurance company.

From the Private Boat licence terms and conditions 

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

7.3. When You apply for a Licence You must provide the name of Your insurance company, the policy number and expiry date. We may ask for a copy of the certificate or policy schedule. 

7.4. After the Boat is Licensed, We may request a copy of the insurance policy or schedule. We may check with Your insurer that the policy is valid. We may also give information We hold about Your Boat to Your insurance company.

From the Private Boat licence terms and conditions 

Much use of the word 'may'.

I would hope insurers would not divulge data without prior consent. 

1 hour ago, Momac said:

The terms do not say that.

Not in those exact words no. 

They said "You must provide insurance details, we may check the insurance is valid."

You said "I agree" or ticked a checkbox indicating you agree.

Prior consent.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not in those exact words no. 

They said "You must provide insurance details, we may check the insurance is valid."

You said "I agree" or ticked a checkbox indicating you agree.

Prior consent.

When agreeing to the licence T&Cs you have also signed away your GDPR rights and authorised C&RT to give your pesonal details to anyone THEY decide has an interest in having them

10.12. You agree that We may provide Your relevant personal details including Your contact details such as Your name and address to anyone (or their insurer) who We believe has a legitimate interest to have the details. For example, following an incident or alleged incident involving the Boat where personal injury or damage to property may have occurred.

10.13.You agree that where We believe You have failed to comply with the Conditions, We may exchange information relating to You and/or the Boat with third parties who are assisting Us. This may include contractors, mooring providers and individuals or organisations with a legitimate interest or duty in exchanging information about You.

• Greenie 1

And there is probably, buried in the small print of your insurance policy, a note that you agree to your details being passed to any legitametely interested party. They share your details between themselves to decide liability, so why not CRT.

I reckon it would take something pretty exceptional for an insurance company to be bothered to supply details to a third party

Similarly I can't see CRT routinely taking the time to chase the insurers for confirmation.  Even if it did, the confirmation would only relate to that time; there is nothing to prevent a licence holder cancelling the insurance subsequently

11 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I reckon it would take something pretty exceptional for an insurance company to be bothered to supply details to a third party

Similarly I can't see CRT routinely taking the time to chase the insurers for confirmation.  Even if it did, the confirmation would only relate to that time; there is nothing to prevent a licence holder cancelling the insurance subsequently

I don't really know why insurance is regarded as being so important, as far as CRT is concerned. If they have to recover your boat after it sinks, I presume they would either sue you for the money or you'd pass them to your insurer. It's to the owners' interest to have some form of insurance, not CRT's.

But insurance companies always supply details to third parties, that's how knock for knock works. Yiu don't specifically authorise it, it's implicit in the contract.

Many people still seem to be labouring under the illusion that they have a right to privacy, and to keep online information from being freely available.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't really know why insurance is regarded as being so important, as far as CRT is concerned. If they have to recover your boat after it sinks, I presume they would either sue you for the money or you'd pass them to your insurer. It's to the owners' interest to have some form of insurance, not CRT's.

But insurance companies always supply details to third parties, that's how knock for knock works. Yiu don't specifically authorise it, it's implicit in the contract.

Many people still seem to be labouring under the illusion that they have a right to privacy, and to keep online information from being freely available.

No guarantee that your insurance will recover your boat unfortunately, it seems that some companies have dropped that from there cover 

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't really know why insurance is regarded as being so important, as far as CRT is concerned

It's in the 1995 Act as being one of the conditions of a licence

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No guarantee that your insurance will recover your boat unfortunately, it seems that some companies have dropped that from there cover 

Check your insurance covers your needs ...

Third party liability cover is required, added cover is available for a price.  Or make sure you have deep enough pockets in the event of a problem.

8 hours ago, Lady M said:

Thank you.  Interestingly they don't mention salvage specifically though this it must tend to cause them problems when this is needed but not covered.

Its up to you whether you seek cover for salvage or anything else.

If C&RT are required to salvage a boat they would of course seek a recovery of costs from the boat owner. If there is no insurance cover then the boat owner would be held personally liable.

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm not sure what knock for knock has to do with it, but that is an inter company arrangement to meet the costs of it's own insured without pursuing a claim.  Nothing to do with communication of details.

Whether or not the information is confidential is a separate matter.  I can't see CRT of the various insurance companies taking the time to to-and-fro 30,000 times annually.  

29 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Whether or not the information is confidential is a separate matter.  I can't see CRT of the various insurance companies taking the time to to-and-fro 30,000 times annually.  

Presumably C&RT only check insurance details if there is some doubt about them . For example, if a customer is being investigated for something else. Also, if a boat sinks and C&RT are involved in raising it, they need to check/communicate with the insurance company. I don't see them checking everyones details. 

In Scotland they ask to see a copy of your insurance certificate every year.  But there are not so many canal boats up here. 

IIRC the only information the insurance company can divulge is whether or not the client holds a valid policy. I.e. if Cart contact your insurer to see if you are insured they will be told "yes" or "no".  This equally applies to the Police and car insurance. To gain more information involves a lot of procedures and paperwork.

20 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’ve dumped my boat in a few marinas that work like this,

usually works along the lines of “…oh, yes, you can have this mooring for the week, they’re out for the next few months”,

it’s easier to find temp moorings in the summer than over the winter at places like that,

Fazeley and Alvechurch for instance,

some other big marinas seem to have pontoons for visitors, but I’d guess they’d let them full time if they were wanted,

Gt Haywood for instance, 

With the smaller mariners they know their customers/moorers pretty well and I guess through chit chat and conversation they know when someone’s off for awhile,

should they come back unexpected 🤷‍♀️maybe there’s a bit of shuffle about,

Happened to us at Alvechurch last autumn when we were stuck because of the landslip. They were helpful in finding a s[pace not needed for a couple of weeks but when the date for re-opening became clearer we were able to get the last space at another marina close by.

Airlines have over-booked for a log time but they do have the obligation to get you to your destination - I once had a long taxi ride as a result (not a lack of seats but they had miscalculated on loads!) 

In the case of a marina mooring, the boater's obligation is to have a mooring that is available throughout the duration of the licence (ie no use have one for a few days whilst licence is renewed!) If the suggested practice became commonplace then it might well be that CaRT brought a case against a marina on the basis that be accepting a moorer they had a duty to check the type of licence - ours certainly already check on licences as well as insurance and BSS.

8 minutes ago, Ken X said:

To gain more information involves a lot of procedures and paperwork.

Unless, as all C&RT licence holders have agreed to, you have granted permission in advance allowing them to release your personal details to anyone they see fit.